1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So. Is D-Mo a future all-star if he keeps improving like he is?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ns575, May 28, 2015.

1. Space City

Space City Member

He's clearly a talented and versatile player on offense. His combination of post moves, passing, and three point range is extremely rare in this league.
    He's active and improving on the defensive side of the ball. At one point this season there was a thread with stats showing he was a top 10 rim protector, though I don't know if he remained at that level throughout the season.
    As for the rebounding, he's decent when playing the PF spot but struggles while playing at center as he can often be outmuscled. His technique is decent and he's put on muscle every offseason so there's reason to believe he'll be able to better compete with centers for rebounds in a year or two.

In the end, I'd say he has the potential to make an all-star team here or there, but will never be a perennial all-star.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's fair, his scoring would be a lot higher without Dwight, and I don't think he'll make it to an all star level, but I think the team is best with a healthy Dwight alongside a healthy DMo. I would expect that the team would be a lot more comfortable passing to DMo in the post next season than they were for long stretches of this season. If DMo can learn to throw an alley pass to Dwight, they'll be hard to stop.

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

People seem to forget how stacked the PF position is in the West:

- LeMarcus Aldridge
    - Anthony Davis
    - Black Griffin
    - Zach Randolph
    - Tim Duncan
    - Dirk Nowitzki

While Duncan and Dirk are on their way out, it is still a stacked position. Depending on how Favors and Randle develop, they could be all-stars as well. Plus we have this year's draft which includes some great bigs that will no doubt be picked up by the Wolves and Lakers.

4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I must have made a typo for it to autocorrect Blake to Black. :grin:

5. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

maybe an All-Star like how 5 Hawks players were All-Stars...also possibly if he moved to the East, but "borderline star" ala David Lee is probably more accurate.

He's more likely to be an All Star than Terrence Jones. There. I said it.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

People seem to forget that big men improve slower. I think he definitely could be a all-star.

7. malakas

malakas Member

So you think he can surpass Anthony Davis and Griffin or Cousins and Gasol/Howard and the French Rejection Gobert in the future and get voted instead of them in the all star game?

8. ibm

ibm Member

only possible in the east. in the west, the way it is, there's no way.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Not sure if I would go so far as all-star, but his skill set seems to plug in so well, his impact can be huge.

He is a great defender at the 4, we all know about his post skills, he was becoming a more confident finisher, and if this shooting sticks he really is a perfect fit. Even if he never is a 20 PPG player, I could see him being a 16 and 8 guy that carries a very good +/- because he impacts the game so well.

If he can stay healthy, and continue to shoot well, I think he's gonna command a huge offer after next season.

10. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Making the All-Star game is popularity contest, so I don't know if he'll ever make one. However I do think he has a really good chance to become an All-Star caliber player.

One aspect of his game that he could develop, considering all his skills, is his face up game. He's a really good ball handler for a big, good passer and good shooter. Taking all these skills into consideration I could see him developing a face up triple threat game. In addition to his post and three point shooting game.

11. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

We need Dmo to jack up 300 three pointers a day all summer long.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

doesn't ariza shoot 1000? and dmo's got the set shot…..should be able to do 2k easy :grin:

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

If he continues to improve sure but the problem is consistency.

Smith, Jones, DMo, even Brewer have flashed all star level play for different stretches. I know people want to run Jones out of town but there was a time this season when we was playing amazing ball for several weeks.

These three guys are not all stars and will not ever be all stars in the future because of that lack of consistency night after night of elite play.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He is too limited physically IMO to make the step to All Star. Too slow, to weak and not explosive. You can't make the All Star team by being a solid all-around player unless you play in the Eastern Conference.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He has a low post game better than any of those guys funnily enough. Why would Gobert's ceiling be higher than his?

In a case where the Rockets are again a #1 or #2 seed they could very well send two players.

He's 24 and has a skillset that all of those guys would be lucky to have. I don't understand the thinking that he has to have some kind of ceiling and he's a guy that dropped in the draft.

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Technically no. The West has too many great PFs for D-Mo to make the All-Star Team(barring injuries). But he can certainly put up All-Star caliber numbers, particularly from a scoring standpoint. He needs to work on his rebounding though.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

He has a ways to go.

I will settle for "consistent post player with solid positional defense and low foul rate".

When I tell people in Phoenix that the Rockets are missing their starting power forward, Motiejunas, people have no idea who that is.

18. malakas

malakas Member

if all star was based on skills Conley would have made it over Lillard and Noah wouldn't even have dreamed of a all star appearance.

And yes Gobert CEILING is much higher than DMOs. When you are at your second year and you are the best rim protector in the league ...you are looking at the least a perennial DPOY.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Scola had the best footwork and skill level of half a decade.....

and he was not anywhere close to being an Allstar

To be an allstar he has at least to average 18 ppg 8-9 rpg 2 blocks 3-4 apg

if not more.... those are the numbers and even then he is just for consideration

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think he needs to look to the Marc Gasol/Bogut/Pau mode.
    Meaning More CENTER than PF

So he needs to add strength, passing and REBOUNDING REBOUNDING REBOUNDING1

Rocket River