1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So I met this scumbag on CraigsList...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swishh, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Mine was the same- Space Grey, 16gb, had minor scratches. Had all accessories and a few extras (case, additional camera lens).

I put it on there for 249.99 Buy it Now & 99.99 auction price with Best Offer. I started getting offers immediately and within a few hours I got a top offer of 200 flat. I took it.

As for shipping and fees: I just shipped for free since I work in a warehouse that ships 50+ packages a day. My boss doesnt care.

Out of the 200, I got 183.00 back from Paypal after all fees. Took me about 2 weeks to get the funds.

1 person likes this.
  2. Indaface

Indaface Member

I'm with you I always hear about horror stories and i've done numerous transactions on there and have had little to no problems (other than people that back out or stop responding).

3. jae713

jae713 Member

I've sold and bought more than ten items on craigslist including vehicles and I've yet to have a bad experience. The only negative thing I can say about craigslist is the ongoing offers by some people even after you have taken down the ad. Maybe I'm just lucky.

4. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Is the Harvard grad your cousin? You're upset over $5 and he's upset over $4.

5. Victorious

Victorious Member

Paypal/eBay takes about 14%. And yes, the horror stories are true. Paypal seems to always side with the buyers. Scammers will do things like file claims of not receiving the item or do chargebacks with their credit card company after getting the product.

Best thing I recommend is to save all emails of any communication. Upload the tracking number and signature confirmation shipping helps as it shows proof they signed for it. Only ship to PayPal confirmed addresses as that helps you get protected.

6. Swishh

Swishh Member

Nope, pulled out his wallet full of money and added $25.

Still not the asking price, but it was close enough. I was trying to get rid of it asap and figured since he just diminished the price by opening it, i'd take the few dollars left.

Definitely won't happen again.

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

I never go alone. But I've bought and sold many things on CL

8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'd never let someone open a sealed item. That's enough to indicate it was new.

Other Craigslist tips is to sell at a public area like a mall, or somewhere with security cameras like a bank parking lot. Never really had any problems on Craigslist, but I've always been cautious.

And I always negotiate before we meet up. If someone wants to renegotiate, I'm leaving. I almost always underprice my items to move them. If someone reneges on a deal, there are plenty more buyers that have asked.

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Once you open it, it's no longer new and you can't sell it at the new price you were asking for when it was still sealed. Everyone knows that! Depreciation and finger prints, man! ;)

10. dragician

dragician Member

Only trust Clutchfans.net..

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

There are some good things off craigslist. Thats where I met my wife. She is deadly obsessed over me which is what I always wanted.

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I always ask 10% lower than the asking price. It's ridiculous the prices people put up now
    I'm taking a risk on buying something used and you want close to retail price?

13. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Just make sure you avoid buying a wallet on here

14. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

sorry about that.

15. Swishh

Swishh Member

Damn it. I really want to sell this Wii U, and since nobody on CL is asking about it for my listed price, I'm tempted to sell on ebay, but I don't want to get screwed with this scamming BS.

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yeah. The cops never understand though. Police brutality these days, am I right? Its just a prank! Look at the camera!

1 person likes this.
  17. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

Mail order bride?
    Fits with your personality

18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

This you?
    http://9gag.com/gag/aW0D9y2

19. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

I sell lots of stuff on eBay and so does my Dad, we have never been scammed. Im sure it happens but by using common sense, you can avoid that. Look at the buyer's feedback, keep everything documented. If the buyer looks or sounds shady, pull the listing and then re-list. But again, I have never had any issues since '07.