1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So how many 'to-go " guys are we going to have on this team next season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DearRock, Jul 14, 2002.

1. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

With EG's continued development he should be considered a "to-go" on the team next year. By my count that puts us at, at least, six, not including Ming, Moochie, Cato, and so on. On any night any of those guys can drop 18 - 20 on you.

2. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

what on earth is a "to-go" player in basketball lingo. Is that a guy like Collier where we basically would prefer him "to-go" to any other team besides ours? Or do you mean "go-to" guys who on any given night can throw up 20 points and lead the team in scoring. But this "to-go" description could catch on very quickly!

3. Miggidy Markell

I think he is trying to say by "to-go" (on the team) is that we will keep those players on the roster.

Players i think we definately should keep are:

Steve
    Cuttino
    Eddie
    Ming (if he lives upto expectations)

No one else.....

4. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

How much extra for delivery?

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Naw, he definately meant "go-to"

6. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

It is too ealry for Ming. But we have plenty.

Steve
    Cat
    Rice
    KT
    MoTa
    Moochie(last shot)
    EG

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

The Go-to Guys........ ones that can make a shot and sdcore when the ball is passed to them, thus giving the passer hopefully the Point Guard an assist.
    They will be Francis, Mobley, Thomas, Mo Taylor,Griffin,Nachbar and Yao.( Rice if healthy).

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I usually don't put down Rockets players, but Jason Collier is the worst basketball player in the world. How on earth did they make him our first round pick, he's averaging 3ppg in the summer league!! Oh well, atleast he'll be good for hack-a-shaqing, even if he can handle that.

9. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Two.

Steve and Cat.

All the rest will be complementry players this season.

Eddie, Ming, Nachbar need time to develop. Don't be fooled by the summer league. Eddie will be better, but it is doubtful he will be a primary option THIS SEASON.

Rice and MoT are coming off injuries and are question marks.

Moochie, Cato, Tmo are not primary scorers.

Kenny can score, but is not really a primary option, and will probably get fewer minutes.

Collier, Tierre, Maddox... Anything from them would be nice, but I'm not really holding my breath.

Of course, this all depends on how you define "go-to", or "to-go" or whatever, and which season you mean by next season.

10. New Jack

New Jack Member

In the future I think Steve, Cuttino, Griffin, and Ming should be the main go to guys. I think Kenny can be a go to guy among the second string players. He's someone we can give the ball to in the post and he shouldn't have much trouble scoring against the opposing teams bench players. That's probably it. Moochie dribbles around in circles too often when he's asked to be the go to guy. I don't really consider Taylor, Nachbar and Rice go to guys. They're more dependent on other players getting them open jump shots rather then creating their own shots and being go to guys.

11. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

To go? Mo Taylor. As in, "That'll be six double-cheese bacon, five large fries, and a 40-ounce chocolate milkshake to go."

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Do we have a To Fu guy? :)

13. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Top 3 'go to' guys: Francis, Griffin, Ming

Top 3 'to go' guys: KT, Moochie, Rice

14. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Try telling Moochie that.

15. DearRock

Sorry guys, I meant "go to" guys. Players who by themselves will cause concern for the defense. The players Rudy would have multiple plays for. I think there are six: Francis, Mobley, Rice. KT, MoT, and EG. Potential additions to the list are Ming, Boki and Moochie.

I just looked at some of last year's games and the play of EG and Brown in the summer league is no fluke. They are simple reinforcing what we already saw flashes of in the regular season.

16. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How many does Sacramento have. Weber, Divacs, Peja...
    The answer, as proven by the playoffs, was one. A lot of good options, but one man.

That is how we will be. A lot of options, and until fire tested, we won't know who can step up and carry the team. My guess is Steve has the talent, and I am hopeful that Eddie may have it. I don't think anybody else has the ability to score at a high percentage, when everybody know that is where the ball is going, and the defense is designed to stop that person.

17. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

This is a really good situation to be in...Think of all the times when our 2 go-to players didn't have their A+ game...Usually it hurt big-time since Griffin was limited in minutes as a first year player and the rest oif the supporting cast was bantha fodder with the injuries and all...In addition Francis missed substantial amount of time so this has to be considered as well...Now we have an allegedly improved Rice...Hopefully Francis has pinpointed the root cause of the migraine problem and from what I heard, this problem has been minimized...,Griffin is now "the Dominator", Cat will improve as he consistently has,...Yao Ming will trick us or treat us...(and I am pretty sure which one)...Mo T will be back, being large and being a prescence in the front....Boki will slash and dash and amaze us all...If you put the parameters of "go-to" into context as compared to last season with consideration it can be easy to anticipate this situation as a really, really good situation...

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Anytime its the end of the game its always suppose to be a play to give your best player the ball. Plain and simple. Now if he gets the ball, penetrates, and passes off thats different, but some of the bull**** plays i saw last yr when Francis was used as a decoy was crazy. Francis is the best player, Mobley is second best player. It starts with Francis no matter what, then after that its more of how the play is breaking down. It was a few games that Hakeem didn't take the last shot, but that was because something was happening in the post so Maxwell wind up winning some of the games. For the most part though, Hakeem had the ball in his hands and either took the shot or passed it out for the open shot.

19. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

In a few years, this could be a good problem to have. Hell, it's a problem now! Just look at all the potential:

Yao Ming supposedly has the talent to be a 20-10 center.

Bostjan Nachbar could be another Stojakovich, who was the second fiddle on what should have been a world championship team.

Eddie Griffin has shown that he already has the attitude and demeanor of a 15 year veteran. If you throw in his Horry-esque clutchness, his brilliant shooting ability, and stellar defense, then we could be (and I think we are) looking at a future superstar. Personally, I think Eddie Griffin will end up being the best player on the team.

Cuttino Mobley, despite what many may say (and what I have said in the past), has shown that he is a superior scorer in this league. On most nights, he can be counted on for at least 20 points.

And of course, we have the brilliant talents of Steve Francis. He's already putting up 21-7-7, and most think he still has a lot of room for improvement. Think about that for a second. A 21-7-7 guy has room for improvement! That's bloody impressive.

Then there are guys like Maurice Taylor and Kenny Thomas. Mo has been a go-to guy before, but he has shown that he can also be a top notch role player, by allowing players to set up shots for him, rather than going one-on-one.

Kenny is a player that needs the ball in go-to situation to score. He could be a major go-to guy off the bench.

As far as the next couple of seasons are concerned, there's the old veteran in Glen Rice. He has been a go-to player before, and the Rockets may want to use him in that capacity again, considering that he is the most experienced player on the roster, and he has a ring. The Rockets will probably go to him on certain nights when he is hot, but that depends on whether he really has recovered from his various injuries. He should at least be a nice role player.

Bloody hell, there's too much talent on this team! Bring on some more Colliers!

20. DearRock

Lee, if by the second game after the all star game, next year, the rockets are closing out a game against a western conference foe and a timeout is called. I think it would be cool that the opposing coaching staff is aware that so far during the season we have had five "go to" guys in that spot.

Pat, you must be careful. Sacramento had a number of people show up in that series, alot more than one. Not all 'go to" guys deliver all the time. Sacr has Webber, Bibby, his backup and Vlade show up in that series. In fact so did ":Tuko" and Peja was injured. Also you should not focus on one series, focus on the regular season as well as the playoffs.