1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So happy for Kubiak and Phillips!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by deb4rockets, Jan 24, 2016.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I saw the same LBs covering TEs and RBs like when we played the Pats with Wade. The difference is so many drops by the Pat RBs yesterday and the Bronco LBs are better athletes than what we had. Also the Pats didn't really go with that all out hurry up probably because they were on the road and all of their injuries.

2. mick fry

mick fry Member

I was way past ready for Kubes to go, it was time. Did he learn from all his mistakes in Houston and become a better coach? Probably.

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

He was able to gain tons and tons and tons of experience here :grin:

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

And he basically had no choice in who his QB would be.

5. htown1984

htown1984 Member

im happy for Kubiak, but at the same time upset-
    its so Ironic that the QB he refused to get when he was in Houston (Peyton Manning)
    is the QB that has lead him to the super bowl with another team..
    I just cant get over the fact that he wanted Schaub over Manning

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think it boils down to Kubiak was not the primary reason the Texans did so poorly and he is not the primary reason why the Broncos are doing so well. You can't ignore the other factors involved.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

That is the Irony for me
    Kubes is WINNING with a QB he was too stubborn to take on because he believed in SCHAUB

I cannot give him credit and say he should not been fired
    when he VETO'd the QB that has gotten him to the superbowl

Rocket River

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

This is likely going to lead to me jamming my head into the wall but please keep in mind that when the Texans passed on Peyton Manning, nobody knew if he could even throw a football and the team was coming off a hugely successful season that was marked with, "Man, if only Schaub had been healthy..."

Hindsight makes it silly; but at the time, there was an easily defnesible reason for sticking with Schaub. Again, no one knew if Manning was able to literally throw the football.

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Peyton has not "lead" this team to the Super Bowl. The defense is leading them to the Super Bowl.

The offense has had its moments and does have some playmakers, but they are nowhere near what the Patriots, Panthers, or Cardinals were offensively. Mediocre offense at best.

In other words, any average to slightly above average QB that didn't turn the ball over would have lead them this far. And that's exactly what Peyton has been. 2010/2011 Matt Schaub would have gone to the Super Bowl with this defense and in these circumstances too. In fact, I bet Gary would love to have someone of even that caliber going into next year.

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

You could say the same thing right now with the QB draft debate. No one knows if any of them will be great NFL QBs but that doesn't stop you from taking the risk and possibly spending multiple 1st on one. Peyton was a FA, would have only cost money and he wanted to come to Houston!!! Broncos took the risk and it paid off. Meanwhile we got Matt "Pick 6" Schaub, Fitzy, Hoyer, Mallet, and back to Hoyer. Wow, that backfired...

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Let’s look at the 2012 Houston Texans replacing Matt Schaub with Peyton Manning and compare them to the 2015 Denver Broncos to see if Houston could have been enjoying the success that Denver has since getting Manning.

I’m only looking at the 2012 Texans because that would have been the first year of Peyton Manning in the Gary Kubiak system which compares favorably to the 2015 team.

(All 2012 players are in their 2012 form, not current form.)

2012 Houston Texans QB: Peyton Manning (2012 version) – 2015 Denver Broncos QB: Peyton Manning (2015 version)

Advantage: Houston Texans

Look 2012 Peyton Manning was a lot better than 2015 Peyton Manning. He’s not 2013 Peyton Manning, but we’re not talking about him right now, stop getting me side tracked!

2012 Texans RBs: Arian Foster, Ben Tate, Justin Forsett – 2015 Broncos RBs: Ronnie Hillman, CJ Anderson, Juwan Thompson

Arian Foster is a top 5 running back in the league when healthy, and he was healthy in 2012. He had 351 carries and 40 catches for 1641 yards. Imagine if he’s not getting 350 carries, he might not be getting cut before the 2016 season.

2012 Texans WRs: Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter – 2015 Broncos WRs: Demaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders

Advantage: Denver Broncos

Andre Johnson is a borderline Hall of Famer (I’d put him in), but his depth wasn’t as good. Behind Walter was Lestar Jean and rookies Keshawn Martin and DeVier Posey. Just the top two current Broncos receivers are better than that group.

2012 Texans TEs: Owen Daniels, Garrett Graham – 2015 Broncos TEs: Owen Daniels, Vernon Davis

Owen Daniels from 2012 beats Owen Daniels from 2015. And I never thought I’d say this, but Garrett Graham might be a better choice than 2015 Vernon Davis. What happened to that guy.

2012 Texans Offensive Line: Duane Brown, Wade Smith, Chris Myers, Ben Jones, Derek Newton – 2012 Broncos Offensive Line: Ryan Harris, Evan Mathis, Matt Paradis, Louis Vasquez, Michael Schofield

Look at the Texans Offensive Line. That is solid. That is a powerful O-Line. Probably not good enough to stop the 2015 Broncos defense, but luckily that isn’t the ‘What If’ scenario I’m presenting so deal with it. Also, the Broncos would have a better chance here if they were healthy, but they aren’t so deal with that too!

2012 Texans Offense vs 2015 Broncos Offense

Advantage: Houston Texans (4-1)

The Houston Texans offense in 2012 was potent with Matt Schaub at quarterback. Imagine if they had competent Peyton Manning at the helm.

Now onto the Defense:

2012 Texans Defensive Line: J.J. Watt, Shaun Cody, Antonio Smith – 2015 Broncos Defensive Line: Derek Wolfe, Sylvester Williams, Malik Jackson

No matter how good the Broncos defense this year is, that Texans 2012 Defensive line was when J.J. Watt decided to start becoming J.J. Watt. And just having Watt and the hilarious Shaun Cody and the hilarious and really good Antonio Smith on the line with him totally gives the Texans the win here.

2012 Texans LBs: Brooks Reed, Bradie James, Brian Cushing, Connor Barwin – 2015 Broncos LBs: Von Miller, DeMarcus Ware, Brandon Marshall, Danny Trevathan

This really isn’t even close. The Broncos linebackers are amazingly good. The Texans in 2012 had Cushing leave in week 5 for the year, Brooks Reed tore his groin and Conor Barwin returned to earth after an 11 sack 2011. DeMarcus Ware is probably a hall of famer, Von Miller is a top five defensive player in the league.

2012 Texans DBs: Kareem Jackson, Johnathan Joseph, Danieal Manning, Glover Quin – 2015 Broncos DBs: Aqib Talib, Chris Harris Jr., T.J. Ward, Darian Stewart

Both of these secondaries are solid, but in 2012 Kareem Jackson wasn’t yet the Kareem we know in Houston, J-Joe and Manning were both injured off and on all year. The Broncos have good young talent with the veteran lock down presence of Talib gives them the slight edge, and it’s very very slight.

2012 Texans Defense – 2015 Broncos Defense

Advantage: Denver Broncos (2-1)

The linebackers for the Broncos might have been enough to win this category for them, they are that good.

2012 Texans Special Teams: Shayne Graham (K), Donnie Jones (P), Jon Weeks (LS) – 2015 Broncos Special teams: Brandon McManus (K), Britton Colquitt (P), Aaron Brewer (LS)

McManus is a fantastic place kicker and Colquitt is a very very good punter and the Texans did not yet have the glory that is Shane Lechler, so they are a little lacking.

In the end, if I were looking back, I’d be very very depressed if I were a Texans fan watching Gary Kubiak coaching Peyton Manning in the Super Bowl in a few weeks. This is what the Houston Texans could have been. They could have been the 2015 Denver Broncos, with a better offense and a slightly worse defense. But imagine what 2012 (a team that went 12-4) would have been like if Manning chose the Texans. Imagine how different 2013, 2014 and 2015 would have been. Gary Kubiak would still be Houston, the Texans might have been in the Super Bowl once, maybe twice.

But alas, that isn’t how history will remember it, and now Texans fans will watch their former coaches and former players possibly hoisting the Lombardi Trophy and they will just have to think, what if.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2016/01/25/what-if-peyton-manning-had-picked-the-texans/

12. conquistador#11

article is a little off. just imagine what the 2012 season would be like with wade adjusting the way he did, showing off his second look. it was beautiful. and most importantly, the forgotten....a healthy holy phenom #56. That defense suffered tremendously because of his loss. Coming into that season, he was the heart.
    True texans fans remember!
    [​IMG]

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

They would have... won 12 games and lost in the second round of the playoffs...

14. Newlin

Newlin Member

Well, I believed in Schaub too. And why not? He had already been to one Pro Bowl, and would go to another. I did not want the Texans to get Manning. Are people forgetting that Schaub was really good when he was here? He went to two pro bowls. Are people forgetting that Manning didn't even play in 2011? There were real doubts about whether Manning could return to form after surgery. The first season Manning was in Denver, Schaub went to the Pro Bowl.

When Manning came available, the Texans had just completed their most successful season. The Texans really didn't have a need at the QB position. Hindsight is 20/20, so it's easy to be critical of Kubiak and the Texans now that everything has played out. But I have no problems about the decisions Kubiak, Smith, or the Texans made.

15. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

This is true...

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Quite true as well...

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It was not an EITHER/OR situation . . . probably could have had both if we really wanted too

Rocket River

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Congrats. Happy for them, to the fact that the Broncos / Chargers are 2 other teams I pull for when not playing the Texans.

Wade with his killer first year defense.

And Manning executing the game plan. If only he came to Houston versus extending Schaub...

Of course Hindsight.....no one saw Schaub dropping off like he did...he was a pretty damn good QB at one point.

19. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

**** 'em

Go Panthers.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Cushing gets no respect. 2015 is the first time he was healthy since 2011 and guess what? Our defense was pretty good again. Dude has a bigger impact than anyone.