1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So happy for Kubiak and Phillips!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by deb4rockets, Jan 24, 2016.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I wasn't really pulling for anyone in this game...but knowing that Innegan still doesn't have a ring does make me feel good.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don't know how millionaires go about cleaning their houses but I sure as **** don't just leave the dog **** on the Carpet like Bob McNair did keeping Smith.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Congrats to Wade! Well deserved.

Happy Gary is healthy and stuff.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What is your point? Do you not look at context of the two situations?

Wade had top notch talent this year, along with the year 1 implementation of his system that usually yields the best results. The 2011 Texans were the best chance for a SB of all the years they were here, largely due to this phenomenon (but of course we were left to try and win with a 3rd string rookie QB).

My point was that if the Texans feel they can get close to the Ware/Miller production (where they are able to consistently harass the QB despite only rushing 4, allowing max coverage)... And win despite non-super-elite QB play, perhaps their philosophy isn't all that jaded (but they still need to upgrade the QB position).

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

ugh. we wasted prime years of dre and foster.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

"Lord, thank you for getting us out of Houston"

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

And we're not done yet, buddy... Next up : JJ Watt! ;)

8. mick fry

mick fry Member

A time honored tradition that is Houston, Earl Campbell was my fav. I don't know what the Rockets thought they were doing by not wasting the Dreams talents but they woke up after a couple of championships and traded the team for Barkley and some ungodly uniforms.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Adrian Peterson
    Aaron Donald
    Joe Haden
    AJ Green
    TY Hilton
    Justin Houston
    Brandon Marshall
    Julio Jones
    Geno Atkins
    Sammy Watkins

Just to name a few and not including the retired (i.e Calvin Johnson). Some of these havent even gotten a playoff win. It's just the way it is. It isn't easy to make it in the NFL when you're not a Manning, Brady, or #1 defense.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In some ways the Broncos managing to pull off a SB win should reinforce that the Texans could be on the right track. The Broncos effectively didn't have a QB, but still managed to win anyway. I mean, he wasn't as god awful as Hoyer, but he wasn't even as good as Trent Dilfer was for the 2000 Ravens but it didn't matter. Defense truly wins championships and the Texans have a damn good one. If they can get even a halfway decent QB and bulk up the run game, they could be set to make a deep playoff run in the near future.

Also, if you can't be happy for guys like Kubiak and Wade Phillips, you're probably a bad person.

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

LZ on 790 made a good point that the Broncos hit a lot of their middle round picks and many of them are the core of that defense. Meanwhile the Texans have mostly whiffed on their picks beyond the 1st.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We've also traded 6 (!) of our middle round picks for two busts.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I would only say that that team was so bad mostly because of how much Schaub collapased. If you had an average QB on that team it would have probably been 9-7 or 10-6.

14. Ashes

Ashes Member

Heh, this was pretty much true..

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

Actually, everything that could go wrong, did go wrong that year. The Texans went all in on Schaub, Cushing, Foster, and Ed Reed. And then all those guys played horrible or got hurt. It was just a disaster. I'm not upset the Texans made a coaching change, but I don't really blame the coaching for that horrible year.

16. conquistador#11

he is just punching in his agenda. our entire defense and o line is made up of draft picks by kubes and wade's vision. If guys off the street can produce, like hal, healthy newton, losing on the middle rounds become a wash. And hitting on guys like merciless and nuke, closer to the second round than the first is astronomically great. Look what the falcons gave up to get Jones. Even lance's dad would come on the radio and talk about the greatness of the texans D and O line's and offense. All this before our qb's arm fell off.

here is the difference and it's mind blowing, as to why the broncos won. They signed a wilding like talib and we got a hoyett. Our coach decided he can run the patriots offense with patriots carcasses. It just can't happen. Which is sad, because if he can coach fitzie to his best season, imagine what he can do with a rook.

Can't win playoff games when your qb is playing defense and offense for the other team.

Develop a young qb you believe in and everything else will smell like a proper gentleman.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm sorry but give me a break with this BOB is a QB guru bull****.

Fitz was mediocre before BOB coached him and after BOB coached him.

He had two QBs to guru up this season and they both sucked ass. Unless you wanna say he made Hoyer better. O'brien hasn't shown me **** when it comes to QB development so there's no reason do assume it. **** the kool-aid.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

The difference on Sunday was the pass rush, especially from the outside. Wade's defense needs exceptional outside linebackers. They generated pressure from the outside. Wade had Mario for five games and then made Conner Barwin respectable. That team would have gone farther if he had better OLBs. Von Miller + Demarcus Ware >>>>>>> Barwin + Brooks Reed.

19. liveguy

liveguy Member

Exactly. These dudes act like every great player makes the playoffs and wins the superbowl every year..... all of them together. lol

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The primary issue is WHO DRAFTS FOR THE TEXANS
    Wade and Kubes had little to no input on the players that were there
    I think Kubes brought in Daniels maybe . .. but think he was already there

Denver Drafts better than us . . .. can we hire their drafter?

Rocket River