1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So good ole Vincent Wilfork is interested in becoming a Texan?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by liveguy, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's like too many of you are just now learning that grown adults can change their plans.

Wilfork knows there's a soft landing spot waiting for him in NE is no team breaks the bank for him.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Word on Wilfork is that he was on a fact finding mission here in Houston and in no rush to sign.</p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/577491635790999552">March 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm probably not scheduling a two-day interview if I don't have an idea on salary and if they can meet my requirements. Likewise, if I'm in a field where it takes one phone call to find out these requirements, I'm going to assume going into the interview that we're somewhere close.

But I really really love comparing professional sports to other jobs. Let's do more of that.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The fact he wanted to find, will they overpay me?

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

McClain reporting that Wilfork is still here.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

We've laid out for you why this scenario seems suspicious (timing, prior planning, the source, etc). I am fully aware that it *may* be true. No need to be a smarmy douchewaffle.

7. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Lopez vs McClain. It's a hack-off!

8. justtxyank

McClain is wrong on is predictions a lot, but things he reports that are fact type stuff are usually directly spoon fed by the team. I'll trust him over Lopez.

9. Hey Now!

All very likely; just a likely: they had a ballpark idea but when they sat down to work out the details, the difference was significant enough that one and/or both parties decided to call it quits.

The NFL doesn't exist in some magical fantasy world; money aside, they're rooted in the same reality as you and me.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I wonder how many resumes Vince Wilfork sent out this week!

11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

This happens from time to time with older players that aren't looking for just a payday.

It's very likely that Wilfork was given a number by the Patriots, and now he's shopping himself to see if he can get a significant raise (and/or find an equally comfortable organization to join). If not, back to the Patriots he goes.

Nonetheless, him leaving here without a contract is not a good sign, and we should plan the rest of our free agency as if he's not coming back.

12. Hey Now!

The source? Sure, dubious. I guess. Him leaving early? I'm struggling to understand how someone could label that "suspicious" in relation to discrediting Lopez's scoop. If Lopez is right, then him ending the meeting early makes perfect sense: wasn't happy with what he heard Sunday.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The EXACT same thing was said in the Ed Reed situation.

14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Let's all send him messages on LinkedIn to get him to sign here!

15. justtxyank

What seems to discredit Lopez is:

1) Seems illogical that reporters were reporting THIS morning that the visit would continue today and then an hour later Lopez has a scoop that he's already left without a contract

2) One of the teams that Lopez says he has supposedly narrowed it down to is allegedly not even interested in him and does not have a visit schedule (Colts)

3) Texans mouthpiece claims that Wilfork is still in town meeting with the team

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

It was true then, and it's true now.

17. Hey Now!

It's a remarkably universal process, RM95: he expresses an interest in several teams, those interested schedule a visit. That's pretty much the exact same way you or I would find a job. If you want to be a (to borrow a note from DM) a smarmy douchewaffle about it, sure - dissect the paticulars and pretend the process is different because of some archaic/funny component of it from 1995.

Beyond that, please stop acting like there's no way he could possibly change his mind and leave early because everyone filled in their day planners.

(And yes, day planners is every bit as silly as resumes: intentional)

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL">@McClain_on_NFL</a> First look at your tweet made me ask, Why do they have Wilfork in shorts?</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/577513712577187841">March 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This may just be me but when I fill out my day planner, I don't change it for anyone.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm not wasting any more time on a story that is obviously false, but I applaud you defending its plausibility until you're blue in the face.