1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So good ole Vincent Wilfork is interested in becoming a Texan?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by liveguy, Mar 13, 2015.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Just seems really weird that they'd plan a two day visit that included a wine and dine last night with the official visit part happening today if Wilfork wasn't really interested in coming here for something along the lines of what they reportedly let his agent know they would pay.

What would be the point? I mean I would be fine with him saying "Hey, I want to win a title so I'm not going to sign in Houston" but then why would you even bother with a visit?

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Yeah. None of this adds up.

It reads as if they spent all day yesterday schmoozing, then this morning they sit down to talk numbers (seemingly for the first time) and they're 10 million apart, so they just call it quits immediately.

3. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

John Lopez once described A&M QB Jerrod Johnson as someone who "has run like Terrelle Pryor, led like Colt McCoy, thrown like Sam Bradford."

He is a waste of both print and radio space, and even if Wilfork chooses to sign elsewhere, I will use this article as even further proof that he is a dolt.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Geez. He also wrote the copy on the top of this VHS apparently.

[​IMG]

5. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Rumor has it that he told Beltran to take the money. And he thinks Michael Finley was in-bounds.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

So there's absolutely no chance they mentioned money yesterday, were worlds apart, and decided it'd be a waste of everyone's time to meet again today?

I've thought from the very beginning that Wilfork would be back in NE - unless he gets PAID. I'm sure he's asking for a lot of money; if he doesn;t get it, he goes back to the mothership.

7. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Considering it was always advertised as a two day meeting, and the fact that John Lopez never breaks any news (and also pees while sitting down), let alone news within the hour of something happening... I find it hard to believe.

8. Hey Now!

And?

Day One:
    "I want this much" - VW.
    "Yeah, we only want to offer you this much" - HT
    "Been nice knowing you." - VW

Day Two:
    (twiddling thumbs....) - HT

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So they didn't talk salary at all until VW landed in Texas? I find that hard to believe.

10. Indaface

Indaface Member

the next time someone breaks news on 610 will be the first time ever.

11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Seems like you wouldn't put two whole days on the calendar if you didn't have something significant on the docket for day 2, nor would you mark it down for 2 days if there was a chance that day 2 wouldn't even be necessary.

Beyond that, when guys are taking their visits, typically they go to their #1 lead first. You don't beat around the bush. The longer you wait in FA, the less money there is left on the table to pay you.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well it was leaked a while back that he was looking for a 2/10 contract, perhaps they flew him here and said "How much do you REALLY want?" and he replied "2/10" making everyone have a good laugh and go back to eating their steaks.

I don't think we'd have really offered him 5 mil a year because he's simply not worth that at this point in his career, if he stuck to that number, it would make negotiations break down pretty quickly.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>For those asking about Vince Wilfork, I've been told the Colts do not plan on meeting with him.</p>&mdash; Mike Wells (@MikeWellsNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeWellsNFL/status/577507611484037120">March 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

LOL insider war!

15. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

The colts have more money to burn.....it's simple math people.

16. Remix

Remix Member

Wilforks career is winding down and at this stage he's either looking to get paid or looking for another chance at a ring. With the Texans QB situation still up in the air only chance they had at landing Wilfork was to overpay so I'm not surprised he's not coming here.

17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

He remembers how great Mallet is. :grin:

18. Hey Now!

I usually don't hammer out a salary before meeting with a potential employer, do you? I have a number in mind, sure; I might even have a ballpark sense of what the company is willing to pay. But set-in stone? No. Never.

Besides, why is money the only thing that might've soured him? What if the Texans see him as a two-down tackle and he sees himself as a three-down tackle? Or they want him to play a different position/role than he intended/wanted?

I mean, everyone is acting like any of this is unprecedented. Seems pretty rational, to me.

#78 Hey Now!, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Did nobody here learn anything from the Ed Reed situation?

Yes, players can leave meetings or visits (or leave town altogether) without signing a contract... only to eventually sign in the end.

Also, that same player may in fact be no good anymore.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Lopez has been wrong on so many occasions, I think his source is his dog.

[​IMG]