1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So far this is the best article I have seen on Bskball.com

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Rocket Guy, Jul 5, 2001.

1. The Rocket Guy

Thanks for the compliment, "FC."

Joe Joe - Is the first round of the tournament not still the tournament? Considering their coach bailed on them, they coiuld have easily made an excuse for losing the rest of their games. You missed the point.

RM - I really feel that a comparison to Francis will apply 2 years from now. The same people who cirticized Francis for not playing in Vancouver are criticizing Griffin for that one altercation he had in the locker room.

Works for me, though. That's why he fell to the #7 spot. He would have been top 3 or 4 otherwise and we wouldn't have him.

TRG

------------------
    <A HREF="http://www.TheRocketGuy.com

" TARGET=_blank>http://www.TheRocketGuy.com

</A> "You try to improve and do better. It's a journey, not just the destination." - Hakeem Olajuwon

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Griffin did not lead Seton Hall to the NCAA tournament. The first round of the NIT tournament is NOT the NCAA tournament. Also, Amaker, did not bail on the team until after their season was over. Seton Hall underachieved all year, based on their talent.

Personally, I am glad they got Griffin, but why do you say he was not the first option on offense? He took more shots than any other Seton Hall player.

------------------

3. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

I think Darius Lane took most of the shots. That guy threw up some crazy looking 3 pointers.

------------------
    "I look kind of dumpy. Look at my butt. And what kind of shoes do they have me wearing? At least they got the chinstrap beard right."
    -Kevin Garnett on the KG bobblehead dolls during KG bobblehead doll night at the Target Center

4. Colby

Colby Member

Lane was more a part of the offense, shooting wise, than Griffin. Griffin got alot of his points on rebounds, FT, etc. Over the course of the season, Lane outscored him in the field by 6 points.

Griffin will always be the 4th option on the floor. I expect him to get his points by some OR, quik dishes in the paint, hitting the open J. I am waiting to see how his post game translates into the NBA.

------------------
    "Chucky who? I thought we were talking about basketball?" Charles Barkley

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

First I thought you were saying "circumsized"...ouch! [​IMG]

------------------
    Rockets' offseason tasks in order of priority:
    • Get rid of Cato under any circumstances.
    • Sign Chris Webber.
    • Re-Sign Hakeem.
    • Re-Sign Moochie and AirBullard.
    • Pick up the Langhi option for another year.
    • Trade for Bo Outlaw and Raef LaFrentz.

.....-'-.
    ../`.....|__
    /`....--`-,-`
    '-|`...o.'&lt;-....[]
    ..\....._\__).\=`
    ...C_..`....,_/
    .....|.;----'

come back with your original name...now that everyone is changing their screen names anyway :)

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Rocket Guy,

The first round of the NCAA tournament is still the NCAA tournament, but the NIT is just a tournament. Thx, Bobrek.

------------------

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Griffin took 465 shots, Lane 421. Lane took 255 3-pointers and made about 39%, nothing wrong with that percentage. Griffin took 123 3-pointers and made around 31%. Griffin scored 512 points and Lane 499 (Griffin played one less game).

------------------

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I completely agree. It's just eerie how similar the criticism is of both players. In fact not it's coming out that after being drafted by New Jersey Griffin stated he DID NOT want to play for them and was excited about going to Houston! Wild. Great article!

------------------
    "Win if you can, lose if you must but always cheat!" - Jesse Ventura

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited July 05, 2001).]

9. Sane

Sane Member

Is everyone forgetting last season when we signed the "cancer", Mo Taylor?

That worked out too.....

------------------

10. buffalospeedway

yep, houston is THE place to go for basketball bad boys to find some peas and hominy.

------------------

11. neXXes

neXXes Member

What is peas and hominy?

------------------

12. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

WasabiTheNinjaPimp Contributing Member

it's a cheesy wordplay on "peace and harmony" [​IMG]

------------------

13. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Bad boys with good chemistry will stir the western conference like tasmanian devil on the loose.It's gonna be one bad a** season folks [​IMG]

------------------
    Rudy T. will find and fulfill Rockets destiny.

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I wouldn't say that Houston has signed any "bad boys" - that sort of title should be reserved for the Isaiah Riders/ Derrick Colemans of the league.

Sure we took a supposed punt on guys who were said to have questionable character, but that would suggest more that the Rockets front office speaks to players and forms their own opinions about them rather than listening to hype about one particular incident and how that instantly makes a person a problem child.

------------------

15. FranchiseCat

FranchiseCat Member

No offense to the RocketGuy or the other person who runs Bskball.com, but this the best article (IMO) to date. Apologies in advance if someone has already posted this.

The Rockets Report
    By Bill "The Rocket Guy"
    07/05/01
    ROCKETS ARE BIG WINNERS ON DRAFT DAY 2001

The media and the message boards are buzzing with talk of how selfish and troublesome this young forward from Seton Hall is. The Rockets have made a big mistake by drafting Eddie Griffin and he will be the death of their rebuilding effort. Griff looks out for number one and would rather fight with his teammates than play nice. Sound familiar?

Two years ago the Rockets made a trade for the rights to a young point guard from Maryland. Everyone said he was a shoot-first point guard who would sacrifice the needs of the team in favor of his own stats. Steve Francis would clearly be the death of the Rockets. Now, two years later, Stevie Franchise has people wondering when he will take over the starting PG spot on the Western Conference All-Star team. Steve loves his role as floor general and is happiest when he can get his teammates involved in the action. The media now refers to the Francis deal as a rape of the Grizzlies.

Eddie Griffin did not play in the best of situations at Seton Hall. He was not the first option of offense, yet he got his numbers. Their coach gave up on the team, yet Griff lead them to the NCAA tournament. When faced with many excuses to give up, Eddie Griffin helped his team keep going and achieve. Has he made some mistakes? Yes. Does he have some maturing to do? Yes. Griffin acknowledges both points, though, which is the first step toward change and growth.

Griff knows he has a chance to be part of something special in Houston. Combined with Steve, Mo Taylor, Cuttino Mobley, and a center to be named later, Griffin is part of the best young team in the NBA. These guys will mature together, they will hit their primes together, and they will cause many headaches for Phil Jackson. Teams that come into Houston thinking they have an easy win will find themselves studying many hours of game tape, trying to figure out what hit them.

Eddie Griffin is a perfect match for this team. He has some problems to live down, but he will do so. And don't worry - the rest of the world will be on the Eddie Griffin bandwagon soon. I'd say around November 1st.

------------------
    "...Do you hear 'em? They're everywhere!!! AAAHHH!!!"

That's what the other teams will be saying after being shellshocked by Steve Francis and Co.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Since when is a first round lost to Alabama in the NIT considered "the NCAA tournament"?

------------------

17. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

A week ago I posted the same thing about the comparison between Francis and Griffin, how Francis had the same thing labeled against him that Griffin did. And Joe Joe's right, Seton Hall went from a Final Four contender to an NIT bust because of bad chemistry. But I really don't blame that on Griffin or most of the team so much as the coach, he did a HORRIBLE job keeping that team together!

------------------
    "Win if you can, lose if you must but always cheat!" - Jesse Ventura

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited July 05, 2001).]