1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So...does Rasmus return next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by awc713, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I could see a situation where the Astros improve offense at other spots (C or 1st or 3rd) and decide to stick with Marisnick in CF and bat him 8th or 9th. For example let's say the Astros trade for Vogt to catch (Oakland is going to trade him) and they also trade for Adam Lind to play first. I could see the Astros deciding the lineup is good enough to stick with Marisnick and his glove.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Tucker may not be hitting lefties well, but he's hitting RHP better than Gattis. I would keep Tucker over Gattis given their ages and contract status.

3. Mattician

Mattician Member

I want him to.

4. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Me 2 but that is a legit and baseball question to talk about.

5. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Goes to show how much I have not been paying attention to our expiring deals so far this season. Who else contract is up in the conclusion of this season?

6. joeson332

joeson332 Member

nervermind saw it

7. awc713

awc713 Member

2YR/20MM...who says no? Astros or Colby? You gotta think Rasmus wants to return. This seems like the first clubhouse he's ever really truly enjoyed.

Side note: not sure why, but Rasmus kind of reminds me of a Derek Bell-esque player. Corner OF good for 20-80 and good D (though I was 10 when we had Bell).

8. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I don't think the Astros are looking to re sign him but I think they should. Why I say that? Because we have not used Tucker as DH instead he plays at LF, meaning Tucker to LF and Marisnick playing a lot as a 4th outfielder. I prefer Rasmus over Gattis

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Bell was a better hitter (seemed like higher OBP also, though I'm not looking at stats), less of a power guy. Colby hit 25 or whatever part-time.

As I wrote on a previous page on this thread, this is a complex call that depends on a lot of other factors. But if the other decisions result in giving Colby an offer, I can't imagine something over 2/15.

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Why...yes...yes he does. I was shocked to read of his difficulties meshing with his previous teams. I think he's found a home here. It would be a shame to lose him after what he's done for us this season.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Need to keep him for post game locker room celebrations.

If they want to take the next step and become champs they need to improve the corner OF spot and bring in a legit #4 through Free Agency.

12. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I know this post was a few months ago but damn, that sounds so bad now lol

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

You could get that at 1B potentially. Not sure who will be out there yet

14. vince

vince Member

I can sit here and say, I have been genuinely surprised by Rasmus' season. He exceeded my expectations. Defense and productive offensive player.

With as many options in the minors, it would be feasible to think that the Astros might go the cost saving move, and bring in one of their prospects. But, leadership in the club house isn't to be taken for granted. Finally the Astros have expelled the negative attitude of the Bud Norris, Cosart, etc of years past.

It will take the Astros 2 to 3 years to truly know what they have in K. Tucker and Cameron. Would Rasmus like being a bridge gap until the super prospects make inroads to the Majors?

A 3 year deal in the neighborhood of 33 - 38 million might be the starting point for Rasmus services.

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Tucker is too much of a defensive liability to be an every day OF.

If our plan is to have a Tucker, CarGo, Springer outfield, then I think we will have some issues with that.

Having a great defensive outfield this year has saved the Astros a ton of runs. That's a big strength of this team. Not saying we should keep Rasmus, but we should do what we can to maintain that defensive ability in the OF.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Tucker doesnt DH because Gattis is better suited for that role. Basically, the team chooses to put Tucker at LF instead of Gattis.

17. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Look at this magnificent b*stard, of course we need to resign him.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

There is no next step, we are at the next step. Once you get into the MLB playoffs it is all about who gets hot at the right time. Just get in and you have a shot.

19. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

GAttis is one of worse DH in baseball this year, maybe he handles better playing on the field and hitting.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Rasmus has certainly endeared himself to the fans with his excellent play down the stretch. While the team as a whole struggled, Rasmus posted a 1.000 OPS since Sep 1, and that was before his pivotal HR in the WC game, and his epic shirtlessness afterwards.

He has had a solid season overall (.789 OPS) and his OF versatility has been extremely valuable. On the flipside he typifies the all or nothing approach that has costed us a lot of close games. Even at this point, I still can't get a great read on what we're gonna do in the offseason, so Rasmus may or may not be back.