1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

So Chris Paul got $40 million per year...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Hes giving us 3-10 10-15 points per game with 7-10 assist for 40 mil a year :(
    Year 1 and hes already on the decline .....

2. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Ariza is not worth big money that he got at the suns. People acting as if he is an All star

3. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Paul isn't being paid to come up big now, he is paid to help in the Playoffs. We are on our way back up, let him earn his money with big playoff performances

Rocket River likes this.
  4. CCorn

CCorn Member

If he gets hurt again that’s only like 3 mil per DNP if we make the WCF again

Stormy1234 likes this.
  5. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

I highly doubt he'll turn up in the playoffs this season.... and besides, I'm expecting him to get injured.

watashi315 and Stormy1234 like this.
  6. cbs1507

cbs1507 Member

I really would like for people to stop perpetrating the myth that we didn't sign Ariza for $15 million to give CP3 $40 million. First of al he dashed for the Suns the first hour of free agency. But even more importantly, we were cash strapped because of a bad Anderson contract and had CP3 and Capela to sign, both of whom along with Harden were 50-5. Whereas we were 14-1 WITHOUT Ariza that year. Lastly, the luxury tax penalty would have been AT LEAST $26,250,000 million IN ADDITION to the $15 million for a whopping total of $41,250,000 MINIMUM luxury penalty. So in reality we didn't pass on $15 million to pay CP3, who help carry our team to WCF and to 3 wins vs the Warriors. We passed on paying $41+ million to a player that went 0 for 12 in game 7 (6 for 30 in last 2 games) to give $40 million a year to a player who passed on 5 years $200 million to the Clippers, to come here and waive their 15% trade kicker on accept 4 years instead of 5 years, when he just helped carry our team damn near past a team with 3 HOFers all scoring 20+ ppg.

Blurr#7, ramotadab and RocketToVegas like this.
  7. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

I don’t think anyone expects him to go for 30 every night but these 3-10 games aren’t cutting it. As great as this Harden runs is we all know it’s unsustainable. The guy needs consistent help and our $140 million dollar “leader” isn’t pulling his weight. In other words there won’t be playoff performances if we don’t make the playoffs because of his mediocre play.

Stormy1234 and J.R. like this.
  8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

It's gotta be nagging injuries or something mental because no way he goes from WCF level superhuman performances to scrub level. Just from my eye both in person and on tv, he 'aint right.

ramotadab, hakeem94 and Blurr#7 like this.
  9. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Agree. It was only 6 months ago.

10. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

He looked pretty good during our last 5 game winning streak. He then got injured and I guess he came out of the injury too early since there is no way we win another game without him. He will still be pretty good when healthy but he can only play 60 games a season and 2 to 3 rounds of playoff games. Tilman has to spend big if he wants to own CP3.

11. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

He has no bursts or elevation on his jumper. If it’s still the hamstring it could linger for the whole season. That doesn’t explain his unforced turnovers and mishandling the ball tho.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  12. amaru

amaru Member

Paul looks hurt honestly

13. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Wheres Paul's automatic mid range jumper this season? :oops:
    It seems like its always short or getting block ........ even the no name 2nd rounder rookie Jevon Carter stole the ball from him :(

Rocket River and Stormy1234 like this.
  14. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Last 3 years of his deals are going to be toxic. 98% sure

There is still a small possibility that he stays productive towards the end of the contract. Very small.

We have to truly we ALL IN and maximize this 2 year window. SMH.

There is a chance that this will all blow up in the Rockets face, and then we will be back to step 1.

Stupid hamstring.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The first year is already pretty toxic. He's not been good.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Maybe he's saving his hamstring for the playoffs?

ramotadab likes this.
  17. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Only harden plays well. If harden gets injury, our team is a rubbish. I don't think we can get title this year. Morey needs to find a player who can shoot and defence. Otherwise we are wasting our talent mvp harden.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  18. hakeemthagreat

With the uncertainty of Paul, I think we should keep Knight. Knight's the only guard we have off the bench that can score & run the offense

Stormy1234 likes this.
  19. watashi315

watashi315 Member

I agree. Not a good ROI for a guy that's supposed to give us 1-2 years of superstar leadership. I echo other's sentiments - year 1 doesn't look that great.

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Seriously, he's playing like the hammy still hurts, still compromised, or he's scared to hurt it again. I know hamstrings can linger but 6 months no way. Hammy's aren't Achilles or something like that where they say you never come back 100%. That said, it could be mental idk but no way he turned into uncle drew in only 6 months.