1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So Chris Paul got $40 million per year...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Jul 9, 2018.

1. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Lets not overlook the fact that Ryan Anderson is getting paid $20 mil per year.

And yet people still wonder how he got tickets to the game........smh!

UTSA2step likes this.
  2. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I commend Morey. As much as it seems to hurt us right now, he is making the correct choices. Even though we had his bird rights, $15 million for Ariza would have been a bad move. You're taxing yourself for a role player.

We didnt have Mbah a Moute's bird rights. So even though $4.3 million doesnt seem like much, it would have taken away the amount we could use to bring anyone else in.

The offseason seems bad right now but the decisions are correct. Morey is doing the right thing.

3. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

I don't think the distaste has to do with retaining these guys, but much more with the confusion about what the hell we're doing to improve. Not overpaying Ariza and Luc is fine, but showing interest inefficient players like Carmelo and MCW? Players that have been bad players for while now... Where's the interest in Wayne Ellington, Belinelli? We only see a small fraction of the FO is actually doing, but given with the facts we've had up to this point, any disappointment from the fans is warranted.

Other than CP, seems like a lot of striking out.

Bengchu likes this.
  4. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

No hate at all at CP for taking the max. At the end of the day it is his family’s lives that he has to consider. This is his career, even if he loves the game and is desperate for a ring.

But the fact is him taking the max made it difficult to sign others. Owners are rich, but paying 3 times more for a guy because of luxury tax penalties is hard for anyone with financial sense to swallow. I also thought I heard that Tilman doesn’t have a significant amount of liquid assets.

Sadboy likes this.
  5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Why is that on CP3 Tilman can pay the luxury Tax. I don't know why millionaire players have to be the one to sacrifice.

6. Play07

Play07 Member

Good luck with that, we have him for 4 years, he will be making $44mill some years, I’m sure clutch fans is FAR from done with these type of threads unless we win a championship FYI.

7. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

I love you but this is BS. Every player is out for #1 and no friendship or team camaraderie means **** if it comes between you and your money. There is no player out there who is not thinking about money 99% and team 1%. There a few HOF or minimum level salary players that will take a SLIGHTLY lower contract to play on a championship team but not the other 90% of players. Does that mean it is the right decision? Fans don't pay your bills and as Jalen likes to say, "Keep cashin' dem checks." The money never lasts. Ariza and LRMAM have both been nomads for a long time as most any professional athlete usually is so they make the best of situations but nothing is ever as important as the bank account. I know that is how I view my success after having sustained enough beatings. I gave my heart a long time ago and then became a mercenary. I finally got it back once I started my own business but I can do that for 30 more years. These two are at the end of the road and what will they do next. Trevor has kids and just got married again. There are things far more important than the Rockets.

8. Mr. Space City

if anderson took one for the team and faked his own death we could have had $20mil to make it rain this offseason.

UTSA2step and TexAg713 like this.
  9. BigBum

BigBum Member

We have new luxury tax saving system? It costs $4.3 million to sign Luc.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I pretty much agree. It's unfortunate and is what it is. If the Rockets lose in the 2nd round or Western Conference Finals next season, while the Warriors make it further. What else can you say?? If the Rockets make it to the Finals then it will be a mute point.

If the Rockets lose both SF's and Capela takes the qualifying offer while paying Paul $40 plus million in 4 years without winning. Well yah

TheRealist137 likes this.
  11. BigBum

BigBum Member

Blame CP3 for breaking the team?

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He sure did and that was the promise Morey made to him when he opted in last season

13. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

Why yall mad about Ariza and Luc? Ariza is the worst rim finisher in the league. His layups look like it's his first day playing basketball. Luc, in the playoffs, looked like he never played before.

14. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Durant didn't take a paycut this year.

Warriors doesn't have his Bird-Right yet, so he can't sign the 5 year max deal. He can sign with Early-Bird, but that is only 4 years and he can't sign a 1 year contract using Early-Bird. So he chose to sign Non-Bird, which limits his salary to be 120% of his last year's salary, then he can sign a 5-year 220M contract next year.

Besides, for a player of Durant's caliber, Championship can be easily converted to money, not the case for Paul though.

Finally, Paul signing a smaller contract won't help us keep Luc because if we don't sign him with MLE then we only have Non-Bird to offer which is 2.9M. For Ariza, it can help, but it depends on how much Ariza demands. If he wanted a multiple-year, more than 10M per year contract, I don't think Tilman will give him that anyways.

I am a totally CBA newbie, but lots of you guys posting here seem to have zero knowledge about the CBA.

steddinotayto likes this.
  15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

morey is costcutting for lux tax. his major move this season will be eventually dumping ryno's contract to get under the tax line.

16. BackdoorHarden

dude, we're getting Melo , that's our SF for 35 minutes

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I distinctly remember seeing this topic last year.

"Murry sucks. Nobody wants to play with Harden." Then CP trade happens.
    "Murry sucks. CP and Harden can't play together. Our bench sucks."

18. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

This seems like an important point that people are overlooking. Either way, I'm not a fan of asking players to take "pay cuts" unless we're talking about Ryan Anderson who should donate about $17 million to local charities.

UTSA2step likes this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

What are we going to do!? We only have the MVP, HOF point God, 6th man/3 point champion, Swiss Beats, Executive of the year, the thickest PF in the league, hottest team dancers and freshest mascot! We're doooomed!

20. BigBum

BigBum Member

I am angry. The owner is not happy to pay luxury tax.

Ziggy likes this.