1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So Auburn Football is totally [censored] - Real Sports with Bryant Gumble Exclusive

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by moestavern19, Mar 29, 2011.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Show hasn't aired yet but supposedly there are some juicy little tidbits coming out about players being paid.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/ex-auburn-players-claim-systematic-pay-to-play-29592

I encourage everyone to read the transcript.

Or don't if you don't want spoilers.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I'm sure you can take out Auburn and replace it with any school.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I wouldn't be surprised.

On the other hand, I would probably be a little bit surprised.

4. ThaShark316_28

/thread and topic that's getting old

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You looking the other way Black Betty?

Because the Chickens are coming down to roost on the heads of the players, the students, and all the little people involved (not midgets).

Meanwhile the crooked shaft-blasters high up will merely shake it off and go have a Martini or 400.

Its crooked I tells ya

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

There was also a nice little tidbit in there about Ohio State paying at their camps as well. Tressel on the hot seat..

7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I'll probably get flamed for this but if you took illegal benefits you knew they were illegal and had no problem taking them, so don't drop a dime afterwards. No one forced you to accept $$.

8. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

Or maybe your view of the world changes from when you were 18 and you feel like you need to get it off your chest...

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Without having watched it I assume the point they're making is that it shouldn't be "illegal" under NCAA, given the hundreds of millions of dollars the NCAA banks annually from unpaid athletes.

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Doubt it. It definitely seems like they're taking the other side of it, especially in the wake of the Reggie Bush stuff at USC (which I think Kramer also reported on for Real Sports) and the Cam Newton allegations at Auburn. As mentioned, you could find this going on at a lot of schools but they seem to be focusing on Auburn because of the attention they got from the Newton story.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sorry I meant to say the point the athletes are making in being open about it.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The NCAA is so upset about this they're going to punish Alcorn State back into the stoneage.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

There is too much money in college football for it not to go to the players and I think it should. As long as the students are going to legitimately going to the school and taking , I don't care if they get Mack Brown Money. The whole amateur sports thing is stupid.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

What they really need to do is create a legitimate amateur league where kids who aren't qualified for college and *WANT* to be pro athletes can go start earning money and working their way into the pro leagues.

The whole phony baloney student athlete thing when it comes to football and basketball is just getting so tired.

Those two major sports need a farm system that isn't tied to academia, the NBDL is on the right track, but the NBA's true farm system is still college... which is a joke, considering how most successful NBA players don't stay in college more than 2 years.

Of course, in order to make that work, that would require people to stop cheating their asses off and adjusting their admissions standards for athletes.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i heard they were going to suspend britney griner had baylor won last night.

16. alverwi

alverwi Contributing Member

As an Auburn grad, I'm not looking forward to watching Real Sports tonight. That being said, Stanley McClover is not a reliable source at all. His high school coach and former AU teammate (Junior Rosegreen) said that McClover is a "story teller and a damn liar" who lost his money, got desperate, and tried to sell out his school for some cash.

http://auburnfootballfanforum.yuku.com/topic/19650/McClover-and-the-real-story-

17. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Just pay the damn kids, with academic performance incentives.

18. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

19. ThaShark316_28

It was a great piece...doesn't disregard the fact that all of em CHEAT.

I'm a longtime horns fan and I know we might have some dirty **** going down.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20.../peterson.texasam.ap/index.html#ixzz1IBvl8Je0