1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SNY.tv] Rockets won't oblige McGrady

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Jan 11, 2010.

1. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

How??? :confused: :confused: :confused: SG/SF taking mins away from a center??? :confused: :confused:

2. sw847

sw847 Member

yeah i agree. Although i would not like a tmac for vc trade. But thinking about kinda makes me wonder. We were that close to beating the lakers. I would think that having vc may actually put us over the top and go into the finals last year. Whos knows, if that trade had gone down, we had a chance of being the defending champs right now.

3. wekko368

wekko368 Member

With VC playing a greater offensive role, that means Yao would play a lesser offensive role. That would lead to less exertion on his feet.

Also, with a Big 3, its more likely we would've put teams away early so Yao would've been able to sit earlier.

4. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

<br><br>
    It would have been nice to have the firepower in playoffs, but this year it'd be $16M poorly spent this season and $17M next...he's having a terrible year.
    <br>
    Last season: 20.8PPG, 5 APG, 5 RPG, .385 from 3s, 19.35 PER...that doesn't suck.

5. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

it's not about that. it's about the fact that tracy torpedoed the rockets plans for his own selfish reasons. that is disgusting behavior for any player, let alone a supposed superstar.

he betrayed his organization, his coaches, his team and his teammates because he didn't feel like being traded. That's the story here.

6. jajayao

jajayao Member

A lesser offensive role? Yao only takes 13.4 shots per game and played 33.6 minutes a game last season. How much less do you want Yao to be involved? :confused:

7. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Has Daryl Morey ever actually stated on record that the Rockets had a trade for Vince completed, and McGrady killed it? Because we never heard very official news here, and usually the fans hear about stuff like that at just about the same time as the players do.

I find it hard to believe that that scenario is really what played out.

8. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Maybe Im wrong with what im about to say but I take it you haven't seen VC play in the last 3 years?? He probably is an image of McGrady but worse. He doesn't play defense or anything. Shoots more than he drives. Basically just think of McGrady but less injury problems or maybe the same. I put McGrady over Carter because of his passing skills.

I politely disagree with you because Yao had a lesser offensive role last year. His mins were down. Landry, Scola, Wafer, Brooks contributed. Artest wasn't great but he had some games yet Yao still had that same foot injury.

Don't assume having VC would have took the pressure off Yao's foot. It still probably could have happened. Yeah he probably would have had a lesser offensive role but he still has to run up and down the court.

9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

The offense ran through Yao. A star wingman would've alleviated some of Yao's offensive responsibilities.

Btw, a player's role in the offense can't solely be measured by shots per game, and even if you think it does, you have to factor in the number of free throws he shoots.

10. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

the name of the player that the rockets were trading for didn't come out at the time, no. but i heard almost this exact story, minus the name, at the deadline last year from a reputable source.

it's nice to finally know who the player was. can't say i'm a huge VC fan, but he would have helped more than tracy did, that's for sure.

11. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I would have welcomed VC with open arms for the playoff run and maybe we would be talking about a lineup of...

Brooks
    VC
    Artest
    Scola
    Hayes

But we would have been stuck cap wise for 3 years as Artest would have probably wanted a 3 yr deal and VC is set to make MAX money for 3 yrs. Interesting to think about and IF TRUE a pretty weak A$$ move by McGrady.

12. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Ok, so you put VC in the same tier as McGrady. Fair enough. That would've still been a huge boost to the lineup last year. VC is capable of attacking the basket, and that ability would've been useful in negating the fronting defense Yao faced.

Dont forget that before the season started, people viewed us as championship caliber with Yao/McGrady/Artest in the lineup. It stands to reason that if VC were comparable to McGrady, then him replacing McGrady would've also made us championship caliber.

When Yao was in the game, the offense revolved through him. If anything, he had a greater offensive role b/c we didn't have another option that could create shots.

Why not? It's a very logical assumption.

13. adammendoza4

adammendoza4 Member

Dam,so dat kinda explains why he didn't even tell the rockets
    He was goin to have surgery,he told the media 1st

14. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I thought this was common knowledge. He announced it the same day that ESPN.com had the rumor as their main headline...and tons of posters and media types have been saying it since

Another reason my jaw drops when many of you defend this sob

15. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Well I honestly don't know what people really saw. On paper we were destined to win it all. Put on paper and actually playing are two different situations. With the History the Rockets have had with injuries idk what people really saw. What were they gonna say. That magical word "IF".. IF the Rockets stay healthy they are going to win. hmmmm.

BTW. Trading McGrady who has played with Yao for 5 years opposed to Carter who hasn't is going to take a lot away believe it or not. Also bringing Carter in and expecting him to learn the system in 2 months??? Who is to say he would have had great chemistry with these guys.

Call me a homer or not but Good thing McGrady did what he did. In life you are always told to go forward not backwards. Houston is/was actually a contending team IF healthy. Nets are in rebuilding mode and still are ever since the Jason Kidd trade.

16. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

17. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

T-Mac was a completely worthless piece of **** last year. Anyone would have been an improvement.

Put simply, he's a spineless weasel for not taking the trade. And what was the net result? The Rox hate his guts and basically decided he was going to get seven minutes, and only seven minutes, of playing time in a game.

18. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

19. devin23

devin23 Member

I freaken knew this was true!! God I hate T-wack. He sabotaged the whole organization.

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Before i bow out of this thread, i have to ask a few questions or make a few points. The nets could've still made the trade because they were aiming on getting a shorter contract to push for the 2010 free agency. The goal of the nets and the rockets would've been the same regardless. The nets were terrible with carter and was trying to unload his extra years for shorter years. The nets could've still made the trade as could have the rockets, so i don't reallly see the point. Teams were trading for the shorter mcgrady contract, not the player per se just like this year.

1 person likes this.