1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Snubbed Pujols says MVP should be on playoff team

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by superden, Nov 30, 2006.

1. superden

superden Contributing Member

Way to be a sore loser about losing the NL MVP. If I recall correctly, St Louis barely limped in AND it wasn't him that carried them to a World Series win. Have Pujols and Howard switch spots, the results would probably be the same.

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Albert Pujols thinks he was snubbed.

The St. Louis Cardinals' slugger is upset he lost out to Philadelphia's Ryan Howard for the National League MVP award, saying Wednesday the honor should go to someone on a playoff team.

"I see it this way: Someone who doesn't take his team to the playoffs doesn't deserve to win the MVP," Pujols said in Spanish at a news conference organized by the Dominican Republic's sports ministry.

Pujols led the Cardinals to the NL Central title this year and their first World Series championship since 1982. Howard and the Phillies missed the playoffs -- though they won two more regular-season games than St. Louis.

The Dominican-born Pujols batted .331 with 49 home runs and 137 RBI, while Howard hit .313 with 58 homers and 149 RBI.

Howard got 20 first-place votes for MVP and 388 points in balloting by a panel of the Baseball Writers' Association of America. Pujols received 12 first-place votes and 347 points. Voting is conducted before the postseason.

Pujols, the 2005 NL MVP, said he has bigger dreams -- a spot in the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y. The BBWAA also votes for the Hall of Fame.

"It is still early, but it is a dream I have," Pujols said. "My hope is that in good time I will have sufficient numbers to get to Cooperstown."

Pujols praised several moves the Cardinals have made this offseason, including signing second baseman Adam Kennedy and pitcher Kip Wells. The slugger noted that his club had been hoping to land fellow Dominican star Alfonso Soriano, who instead agreed to a $136 million deal with the Chicago Cubs.

"I thought we were going to sign Soriano, but it wasn't possible. We also intended to trade for him during the season, but the Nationals wanted too much for him," Pujols said.

link

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

wow, another reason for me to dislike albert??? :D

3. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe the Phillies should whine that only the best teams with the best records should be in the playoffs................

I know you won the world series, but the Phillies probably should of had your playoff spot, they had a better record, who knows they may have won.......

Need to quit whining the right guy won.............

4. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Pitchers need to plunk Albert in the a$$ a bunch next year.

5. Caboose

Caboose Member

Yeah it seems like the press fails to mention that Ryan's team had a better record than Albert's. Sure Albert's won the World Series, but it's a regular season award. The Phills had more wins then the Cardinals. I'm waiting for someone in the perss to mention that. 1st and 10 on ESPN sure didn't.

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

boo mutha****in' hoo.

7. Caboose

Caboose Member

wow outside the lines sucks. They tried to make it out like the Phills were below .500. They showed what Pujols said and showed players who won it on sub- .500 teams.

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

i'm just counting down the days when Pujols fails a urine sample test and there are traces of horse steroids found in it.

9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i happen to think mvp's should go to players who miss less than 19 of their team's games. man, and pujols just misses the cutoff, what a shame.

10. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

pujols sucks, f the cards

i def thought he shoulda beat ryan howard, but after this, good riddance sucka.

god knows if the mavs had beat the heat along with the cards winning the WS, this would have been the worst year of my life.

11. Caboose

Caboose Member

I've heard some people say that Pujols missed so and so games which is why the Cards had a worse record. Give me a break. Maybe TMac or Yao should've won MVP last season even though the Rockets had a terrible overal record.

Anyways just from checking:
    Cards with Pujols getting atleast 1 ab: 73-70 51.04%
    Without Pujols getting atleast 1 ab: 55.6

It isn't like they fell apart when he was hurt. They played pretty well actually.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Wow, he got a ring, and he's worried about individual awards.

That's a sign of a true winner right there. :rolleyes:

14. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

When he is dubbed a sexist egotistical lying hypocritical bigot, then I'll give a squat.

Sincerely,
    [​IMG]

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Pujols sux...

16. lpbman

lpbman Member

This is just Pujols getting himself motivated for next year.

17. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

that seriously sounds like sour grapes from Pujols. that's too bad cause I didn't really mind him before

18. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

man.....he complains way too much

curse of the pujols!