1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Snowden: NSA spies on human rights groups, Americans within America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...wden-us-government-spied-human-rights-workers

[​IMG]

This is Pandora's box. Serious questions need to be asked of security agencies, and their congressional overseers. My default assumption is that by posting this, my activities might be tracked---and it's no longer tin foil people who need to believe that.

If this is true, members of Congress have utterly failed Americans, and security agencies have lied to them. Thoughts?

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

And the FBI spied on MLK. I am not surprised the NSA still does it.

Since it doesn't effect their lives most people in general probably don't care.

3. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Very true. To paraphrase Kent Brockman, most people welcome their industrial military complex corporate overlords. As long as the elites provide enough people with enough bread and circus, the people of this country seem happy to let them get way with whatever they want domestically and internationally.

4. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Your default assumption assumes that you're more important than you think you are. Here's a clue: you're not.

So no, it's not tinfoil hattery. It's just the arrogant grandstanding which the Internet age has seemingly fostered onto so many today.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Although if the NSA is collecting metadata then it is possible all of us are being tracked. Maybe not actively but it wouldn't be that hard to do so.

That said even if the NSA has collected data on our postings on Clutchfans D&D I doubt it is much of a concern to them.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

My opinions on whether certain items are of a lunar nature is of grave importance to this nation's security, frankly.

1 person likes this.
  7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Is it your opinion that the answer is typically negatory?

8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

lololol, damn you guys.
    Seriously though, it's not surprising and sad. I know way too many people in law enforcement from local cops up to federal agents, and all them blur the lines at some point. Life becomes a freakin game.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

10. Northside Storm

I frankly could give two ****s if they canvassed my musings or any of yours.

But I don't want to live in a society that doesn't give two ****s that this is happening to some of the most active in the pacifist movement towards meaningful reform, and that political speech and action is being targeted for special treatment . That is so corrosive to the American Spirit that whatever feeble attempts I've seen at addressing this have focused on ad hominum attacks. If you don't see how this is opening Pandora's Box, you're lost. I mean some have said we've already opened it---fair enough. But can we focus on how to close it successfully now?

Kojirou, btw, nobody here is probably important enough (frankly, you or me included)---but there are people who are, and if you don't care about targeting people based on their political convictions, well, you can make your jokes I suppose.

11. Northside Storm

This is a problem for all of us, not just a selective few who try to advance civil rights.

12. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Clown

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's a good thing and it's definitely something that should be addressed. That said I find your alarm, that you personally, are now being tracked because of your controversial statements on clutchfans somewhat amusing.

Keep in mind to that unless Clutch decides to encrypt Clutchfans anything we write here can be tracked as simply as visiting the website or doing a google search based on keyterms and user names.

14. Northside Storm

I post on other places as well---I'm more worried about that.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Especially since it is a space station.