1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Snag in Lakers' pursuit

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landy, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Landy

Landy Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5372722

Snag in Lakers' pursuit of Rudy T, report says Tomjanovich's advisors reportedly suggest that he demand same money Jackson received Rudy Tomjanovich reportedly has been offered the Lakers' head coaching job.

NBCSports.com news services
    Updated: 12:24 a.m. ET July 08, 2004

LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles Lakers remained without a coach late Wednesday, and the hiring of Rudy Tomjanovich may not be as imminent as it once appeared, even with Mike Krzyzewski out of the picture, according to a report Wednesday night.

The Lakers reportedly have offered the job to Tomjanovich, and the New York Daily News reported that the offer was a multiyear deal worth about $5 million per year. However, ESPN reported that Tomjanovich's advisors suggested he ask for the same type of money outgoing coach Phil Jackson reportedly earned — $6 million a year for five years. Krzyzewski reportedly was offered $40 million over five years.

The Los Angeles Times reported Wednesday night that the Lakers and Tomjanovich hope to have negotiations wrapped up by Thursday and introduce him Friday. The deal is said to be in the hands of attorneys from both sides.

Tomjanovich would succeed Jackson, who coached the Lakers to three NBA championships in five years. The team announced June 18, three days after losing to the Detroit Pistons in the NBA Finals, that Jackson wouldn’t return next season.

“We feel we’ve identified the guy that we want to hire,” Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said Tuesday, adding he hoped to have a coach in place by the end of the week.

Kupchak didn’t identify Tomjanovich, but all indications are he’s the only viable candidate remaining after Krzyzewski, the Duke coach, North Carolina coach Roy Williams and Miami Heat president Pat Riley decided to remain in their current positions.

“Do the math,” Kupchak said.

Kupchak did say Tomjanovich “would be a wonderful selection” if he gets the job.

Kupchak wouldn’t comment on two Houston television stations’ reports that Tomjanovich has been offered the job.

Tomjanovich would be the fourth coach in NBA history to coach one team to multiple championships before being hired by another, joining Bill Russell, Riley and Jackson.

The 55-year-old Tomjanovich guided Houston to titles in 1994 and 1995. He coached the Rockets for 12 years before stepping down in May 2003 — two months after being diagnosed with bladder cancer.

He negotiated a settlement of the remaining two years and $12 million on his coaching contract with the Rockets.

Tomjanovich was offered the job Monday night, according to unidentified NBA sources quoted by KRIV and a source close to Tomjanovich quoted by KHOU. The Houston Chronicle reported that Tomjanovich will bring former Rockets assistant Larry Smith with him, while current Lakers assistant coaches Brian Shaw and Frank Hamblen would be retained and Kurt Rambis would be reassigned to a front office position.

Reportedly in good health now, Tomjanovich worked as a scout with the Rockets last season — his 34th year with the organization he joined in 1970 as the second overall selection in the NBA draft.

Tomjanovich was the winningest coach in Rockets history with a 503-397 record, but they failed to make the playoffs in his last four years there.

He would join an unsettled Lakers team — Kobe Bryant is an unrestricted free agent who reportedly favored the hiring of Krzyzewski, and Shaquille O’Neal has demanded a trade.

Derek Fisher and Karl Malone are also unrestricted free agents.

Tomjanovich, one of the first candidates interviewed and considered a top candidate from the beginning, had to wait as the Lakers discussed the job with Riley, Krzyzewski and Williams.

Riley, a winner of 1,110 games in 21 seasons — the first nine with the Lakers — said he spoke with Lakers officials but wasn’t offered the position.

An offer was reportedly made last week to Krzyzewski, who announced Monday he was staying at Duke. Williams told the Lakers last month he wasn’t interested in the job.

Tomjanovich survived one of the scariest moments in NBA history on Dec. 9, 1977, at The Forum in nearby Inglewood when Lakers forward Kermit Washington blindsided him with a devastating punch that sent him crashing to the floor with several shattered facial bones.

Doctors later said the injuries were life-threatening, but Tomjanovich returned the following season wearing a protective mask and made one of his five appearances in the NBA All-Star game.

Kupchak also said he was in constant contact with Bryant and his representatives, and there was nothing new to report on O’Neal.

“I’m optimistic, I have to be,” Kupchak said regarding his hope of re-signing Bryant.

Bryant reportedly supported the hiring of Krzyzewski.

“I would think his response would be the same as everybody — there was a sense of disappointment,” Kupchak said. “We felt if we could have brought him on board it would have been a wonderful coup for this organization.”

Asked how Bryant might feel about Tomjanovich, Kupchak replied: “I wouldn’t share any of our players’ thoughts publicly.”

Regarding O’Neal, Kupchak said: “It is time to be patient. We are being patient.”

O'Neal said Monday night that hiring Tomjanovich wouldn't change his attitude toward the Lakers.

I like Rudy T.," O'Neal said Monday, according to KHOU. "And I'd always wanted to play for him. But I'm not coming back to L.A. They disrespected me."

Derek Fisher, a Lakers free agent, has received interest from a handful of teams, according to his agent, Mark Bartelstein, and apparently would approve of the Tomjanovich hire, The Los Angeles Times reported.

"He's got great respect for Rudy, given the success he's had and the championships he's won," Bartelstein told The Times. "But I think Derek would like to talk to Rudy before he made a decision."

Fisher, a point guard, lost his starting job to Gary Payton last season and would need assurances about playing time before returning, The Times reported.

© 2004 NBC Sports.com

2. mulletman

mulletman Member

why does Krzyzewski, with no NBA coaching experience, get offered more money than someone whos won 2 NBA championships? and for $8 million a year, i'm sure the lakers could have got phil jackson to stay too. whats the real reason phil is leaving?

3. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Kobe.

4. MONON

MONON Member

Jackson's a coaching guru, not an asylem warden.

5. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Exactly! No more triangle offense for Kobe. That's probably the reason Payton stayed too.

Nowaday's with the salary cap, players find other ways to get what they want such as the coaches they desire, or an ability to pull a plg on a trade if they feel that way.

6. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I assume it's because they knew that had to pretty much fellate the guy to get him to leave Duke, where he's worshipped like a brazen idol.

I still think Rudy was the Lakers' organization's first choice; the stuff with King Dukie was just YET ANOTHER demand of Kobe's the Lakers did their best to honor. Pathetic, but whaddya expect.

7. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

My feelings on this are mixed.

Happy for Rudy if he wants this.

Sad for us if we face him for the next decade.

8. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

Anyone knows how much is Krzyzewski making as a college coach in Duke?

And what's with the obsession with Larry Smith by Rudy?

9. dugtzu

dugtzu Contributing Member

didnt chuck daly also win multiple championships then sign with another team?

10. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Becuase the laker front office SUX KOBE OFF!!!