1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Smith Moving On Up? New GM?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Ericstocracy, Dec 28, 2014.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Hahahaha losers

[​IMG]

Isn't there a Godfather story out there? Rick is the Godfather to a McNair [grand?]child or one of the McNair's [Cal?] is a Godfather to Rick's son?

#81 J.R., Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  2. Remii

Remii Member

You do know Whisenhunt turned Warner's and Rivers career around and made it to the super bowl as a head coach... I don't think that was a crazy idea.

And we don't know if Smith is responsible for handing out those contracts because so many hands are in the cookie jar... Like McNair's who was willing to pay Carr for 1 more year even though the book was out that he sucked.

Most good GM's don't take advice from the owner. And if McNair wants input on personnel decisions _ he'll stick with Ricky...

3. Summer Song Giver

I'm fine with Smith remaining GM as long as they hire someone to handle the draft and someone else to handle the salary cap and someone else to evaluate the coaches and someone else to handle trades and someone else to handle free agency and someone else to work hand in hand with the coaches.

If those things happened I think Rick Smith would make a fine GM.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure that's exactly why they're keeping him... they've already entrusted the draft to BOB's staff, and Smith has never had unilateral decision-making capability to hand out extensions/ridiculous contracts/etc.

Not sure what he's actually doing...other than being a worthy deflector/person to blame when decisions don't work out.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

That is where your theory breaks down. McNair wouldn't pay someone to be a lightning rod. Smith is also a poor lightning rod considering he is hardly ever in front of a camera.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's not just that... he's the liaison between the owner and the coaches.

Also, considering that we're on a 5 page thread, and every other Texans radio call right now involves getting rid of Smith, I'd say he's getting some heat (when really, this past failed draft could have been all on BOB... pretty sure he pushed for XSF, CJ, Nix along with not wanting to trade up for any of the QB's).

There's nothing wrong with Smith's role... its what Belicheck's GM's have essentially been doing.

7. Buck Turgidson

Arizona has several lakes with beautiful beachfront property.

8. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

nah bro, he's talking about the pacific ocean Arizona property!

buybuy buy!

9. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Did someone else here 790 radio yesterday (Lance Zeirlein) I think it was him that said we will have a new GM by Super bowl?

10. Fantasma Negro

He was talking about the jets

11. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

guy on the far right is not a loser

12. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

I have sources that can back this up.

1 person likes this.
  13. htown1984

htown1984 Member

14. Fantasma Negro

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The rumor is bogus.

La Canfora was on Mad Radio (I think it was this one) and was challenged directly about the story. He basically said something to the effect of "This stuff happens when the coach wants more power. Happened in Philly, we'll see if it happens in Houston."

He wouldn't actually say it was going to happen or if he was hearing any real rumors about it. The guy is a hack.

16. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

la canfora is most definitely NOT a hack...

sounds like we have a rick (aka rick the rat, aka cockroach) fan here!!! glad he has 1.

17. Fantasma Negro

Not be true is what I meant. I think Rick is a good gm

18. Raven

Raven Member

2014 draft is looking like a disaster. Shouldn't that have consequences? Apparently not to Uncle Bob. As long as the tickets sell out, what could possibly need fixing? :rolleyes:

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not if Rick wasn't the main guy responsible. Again, XSF/CJFed/Nix all seem like picks signed off from the coaching staff.

Also, still a little too early to declare them all useless... if Myers gets cut and Brooks moves to center (as expected), XSF will get his shot. CJ should improve from another year in the system with possible more consistency at the QB position. Nix needs to get healthy... but I like what they had in Pickett, so its not a huge glaring hole just yet.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> pro personnel director Brian Gaine will receive a promotion instead of possibly leaving for the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Eagles?src=hash">#Eagles</a> GM job, source said.</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/556638213583142912">January 18, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Brian Gaine interviewed in Philly twice &amp; had interest. But Texans brass &amp; Bill O’Brien won’t lose him (was here 1st <a href="http://t.co/LejmDw1HuH">http://t.co/LejmDw1HuH</a>)</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/556638774038626304">January 18, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Texans GM Rick Smith has promoted pro personnel director Brian Gaine to director of player personnel. Gaine gets new contact and raise.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/556647009776451584">January 18, 2015</a></blockquote>

#100 J.R., Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015