1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Smith Moving On Up? New GM?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Ericstocracy, Dec 28, 2014.

1. conquistador#11

did you not see how the patriots operated with secretly filming other teams. of course he thought his phones were tapped

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Oh man...

Nick Wright will flip his lid if the Texans bring in Scott Pioli.

L oh freaking L

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

From the outside looking in (and not knowing much about Pioli's management style), the guy assembled a lot of talent in KC, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Where he faulted was holding on to a poor head coach for too long (Todd Haley), and I don't know if that was entirely up to him. Haley was such a freaking hotheaded nutcase that I cannot imagine that he was easy to work with.

Obviously the gamble of Matt Cassel didn't pay off, but when they acquired him it was a worthwhile gamble. They had nothing at the QB position and unless you get lucky (e.g. the Colts) you have to gamble on the QB position sometimes.

I think that with O'brien now settled in and in command that Pioli could be a nice complement.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You do when the HC really has the ultimate say, and was hired with the promise of having that sort of power. Looking around the league, very few successful coaches relinquish the final say in personnel decisions. Perhaps only Mike McCarthy in GB admits to not being that involved in what goes on with personnel decisions, but as long as he's got Aaron Rodgers, a lot of his decision making on the offensive side of the ball is pretty minimal.

We need a GM that can keep the cap situation under control... and one that can actually advise against handing out ridiculous extensions to injured players. I'll trust BOB and his coaching staff to bring in the players they think fit their system the best... and they should get the blame from here on out when drafts and free agents don't pan out.

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Smith always struck me as the forever deferring/abstaining gm with the ability to remind everyone that he did which is why he is a cockroach. Never accountable because he never made a decision.

Pioli has a history of finding good talent and he'll pull the trigger on trades. Where he has struggled is in finding and keeping HCs. With BOB already in place that won't be an issue here. Those facts alone make him a massive upgrade over Smith.

6. Remii

Remii Member

Who said O'Brien was hired with that promise. Did McNair say that...???
    And O'Brien hasn't yet proven he's a successful head coach. What you suggest was the same shyt McNair pulled with Kubiak. And if O'Brien was in charge of the last draft (which I think Xavier and CJ were his picks) _ he definitely shouldn't have final say so in draft proceedings.

And how do you know that Nick...??? If I remember correctly, Denver was participating in the playoffs that year so Kubiak didn't have much time to evaluate college players. Also, every chance Charlie gets he brings up how he was trying his best to trade the #1 pick that year.

I don't like Smith as a GM, but I think McNair is going to ride it out with him.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Really? Didn't he sign Cassel? Draft Tyson Jackson with the 1.3 pick? I give him credit for finding Berry and Houston but isn't that like giving Rick Smith credit for Watt and Hopkins?

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

It's not my opinion, it's everyone's opinion. Dude is known for being a damn good talent evaluator.

The other issue is he definitely ran the Chiefs draft and so yes he gets credit for Berry and Houston. It's fairly well known that Wade wanted Watt while the "Texans" were set to grab Aldon Smith until the 49ers took him. I'm not sure Smith should any more credit than Wade. In fact if you look at that draft outside of the two QBs, Locker and Gabbert, that draft was stacked. Everyone in front of Watt turned out to be a player. The entire 2011 draft is pretty damn good!!!

All that said, I think Pioli beats Smith on contracts and trades. It's not even close. Smith has authored some terrible extensions and contracts.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Because in order to get top tier coaching prospects (which BOB was, as he was well sought after the second it became a possibility he would leave PSU), you have to give them some power. I do think XSF and CJ (along with Clowney) were signed off on by BOB... I'm not willing to chastise Smith for all those picks. I hold Smith more accountable for the ludicrous extensions that currently has this team in cap hell.

Because I was older than 12 years old at the time, and actually paid attention to what was going on with the team. Even Dan Reeves had a role in shaping the future front office and was integral in the Kubiak recommendation. Kubiak's season ended on Jan 22nd, and he was hired Jam 26th. Draft wasn't till April. Plenty of time to get up to speed.

If you believe that Casserly played a role in the 2006 draft, I got some Arizona beachfront property you need to look at.

He can be GM in name only all he wants.... doesn't mean he's going to be integral in building BOB's team.

10. Remii

Remii Member

I don't think Harbaugh was giving that power when he went to the 49ers, nor Rex with the Jets, nor in Green Bay, nor in Baltimore, nor in Atlanta, etc.... Giving wet behind the ears NFL head coaches ultimate say so is a rare practice and it's a practice that fails more than it succeeds. And if O'Brien was such a hot commodity _ why did he take this job when it was said Detroit was the best job available.

And Clowney was singed off by McNair... Smith and O'Brien wanted to trade the pick from the looks of it.

And again _ Smith was trying to replace Schaub so it's hard to say he's responsible for giving Schaub that extension.

Dan Reeves was brought in to assist the team. Charlie was still the talent evaluator. Reeves was a coach and not a scout and Kubiak was an OC and not a scout. And it's not like Charlie NEVER made any good draft picks.

Good luck with that Arizona beachfront property.

Actually I think Romeo had more to do with Kansas City's defense than Pioli... Romeo has been around NFL defenses for a long time. And even with Smith as the GM, with Romeo as the DC the defense will eventually have more talent.

I'm not a Smith apologist or defender but I am fair minded. And if Smith had no control over the draft as many people say _ what makes you all think he had control over contract extensions....???

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Is there any real traction on Smith being moved out of his role?

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

McClain is adamant that Smith is safe. So yeah there probably really is major smoke.

I think Schaub was partly pushed out because of the fans, I think we avoided Carr because of the fans, and now I think Smith is losing his job because of the fans. Not that those aren't the right decisions. I just feel like McNair feels the pressure. He used to have a strong hand. Seems weaker now.

13. Breaker

Breaker Member

so are we still stuck with this guy or what?

other teams are up their vacant GM spots

14. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

oakland's 3rd string QB couldn't beat out carr and matt mcgloin. what does that tell you?

regarding rick... it might have something to do with him drafting very poorly and handing out contracts like a drunken sailor. he should have been gone years ago. let's remember, rick wanted whisenhunt as kubiak's replacement until mcnair stepped over him for BOB. he's an awful decision maker. the whole "i drafted watt" thing (even though it was clearly wade's pick) can only take him so far.

15. justtxyank

Heard McClain on the radio this morning.

He said he spoke with Bob and Cal this week and did a story with Rick Smith yesterday. There is no truth to any rumors. Apparently we are rolling with Smith.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Like I said a few posts ago, McClain is eating newspapers swearing Smith will be the GM which means he wont be the GM. I'm serious, McClain is the worst male reporter in sports right now.

17. vator

vator Contributing Member

Clicked on this thread hoping to see Smith was no longer the GM. Eye am disappoint!

18. justtxyank

I agree with you that he's a terrible reporter, but this isn't one of his ego driven guesses where he guarantees something. Bob, Cal and Rick Smith all did sit downs for a lengthy newspaper article about the coming season all claiming that Rick Smith isn't going anywhere.

Get with it guys. Smith is beloved by Bob McNair.

I told you all during last season that there were people in the football ops side that were afraid they were losing their jobs and they did. My source in the Texans lost their job as well and they told me that Rick Smith will be with the Texans as long as he wants.

I don't think Smith is the worst GM in football, but he's not good either. I'd like to see him gone as well as their so called cap expert, but I've given up on it.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How did he become so BELOVED?!?!??!
    He came in as a Kubiak hire. . .. and he became more entrenched than even Kubes?

Rocket River

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They sit him down for interviews, yeah, they use him as a puppet and he loves it. They aren't going to leak something like that to McClain. They never have, ever, and they never will, ever.