1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Smith Moving On Up? New GM?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Ericstocracy, Dec 28, 2014.

1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Protect his own job? Cal is the owner's son and will inherit this franchise one day. I think he's safe.

And while many are happy about this report, it scares me. I think it would mean that Rick Smith would move closer to the owner's group and ultimately get even more power in the long-run. They'll let O'brien and his GM run things for now but I'd be very wary of the long-term outlook with Rick Smith firmly entrenched at the top somewhere.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Don't worry... Rick Smith won't have any "increased" power. Its just a way to justify his continued salary payments. He'll be vice president in charge of ass-kissing, but will have zero input on football operations.

Remember how Charlie Casserly was kept on as "GM" after Kubiak's hire, and was still around during the 2006 draft... when really he had zero involvement in that process? It will be something similar with Smith.

3. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Hopefully promoted out the front door.

4. DieHard Rocket

I don't know. I think that Rick is very close to Bob and I could see himself weaseling his way in as a permanent stakeholder of the franchise. Hopefully I am just imagining this, though.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think you are imagining it.... McNair is smarter than most people here give him credit for. He may be loyal to a fault, but once he decides to make a move, its calculated and thought out (doesn't mean it always works... but he's not just flipping a coin here). I thought the BOB hire was right on the nose... he went after him with the same aggressiveness that he went after obtaining this franchise to begin with.... and this season helped illustrate how important it is to have that sort of youthful leadership to get a team to play hard each/every week, and eventually better than expectations.

The purpose of "promoting" Rick Smith is to get him out of the football operations side of the organization. At that point, nobody should worry about him "influencing" anything other than what the menu should be in the owners box on gamedays.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Weaseling? What indications do we have that Rick is 'bad person'? A Weasel?
    SMH

I'm all for him moving on but come one . . .. .
    While I have no idea what he does
    I have no idea about anything about him . . I think he saw him speak on TV once his whole time here

Rocket River

7. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

rick is the biggest rat weasel brown nose in the nfl.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The fact that he wasn't fired with Kubiak and that this report was shot down so quickly makes me think he is here long term. nick's notion that he is becoming a figurehead is optimistic thinking to rationalize why such an incompetent is still employed. As is the notion that he didn't make any of these horrendous draft picks.

9. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

What's our (your?) evidence of this?

10. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Maybe weaseling is not the right term. But he's definitely a brown nose that's overmatched for the position. Isn't he someone's Godfather tied to the ownership group? Every time i see him he's around McNair. The brown nose is strong in that one. Oh well, its paid off for him financially but the fans pay the ultimate price by spending time and money supporting a poorly run org.

11. mick fry

mick fry Member

McNair is too nice for his own good, it took dang near an act of congress to get Kubiaks tail gone. Hes gonna "promote" Smith to being his personal servant with a better retirement plan.

12. awc713

awc713 Member

13. DieHard Rocket

I never implied that Rick was a bad person and there have been far worse GM's in the league. But I just get the notion that he's good at painting a pretty picture for Bob considering how long he has stuck around. He should have been gone with Kubiak, IMO.

And if he gets a "promotion" to another role in the organization I just hope it doesn't end up being one of those scenarios where his role hinders what the new GM can do.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Rick seems like Waldo
    He just seems to be there. . .not doing too much of anything
    part of the McNair entourage . .

Rocket River

15. Summer Song Giver

I agree Blue gets what's blocked and not much more.

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

How would yall like Scott pioli?

17. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

lol, Hell no to Scott Pioli.

He's a ****ing nut case. Beyond hitting a few draft picks here and there, he's got no damn clue. He though Cassel was a starter in the league. He thought Crennel would be a great HC. He convinced nearly his entire staff that their offices were bugged, even the HC though his phone was wire tapped.

If he's here, we'll be worse off then the Capers/Casserly era within 2 years. God no. Please stay away from this Franchise. I'd keep Rick Smith over him, and I HATE Rick Smith.

IF we get a new GM, It should be Brian Gaine. He's basically the reason why the Dolphins have as much talent on their team as they do. Even given their success with currently horrible Coaching and front office personnel, they continue to progress.

He's believed to have had more FA influence this past off-season with bringing in Kendrick Lewis, Ryan Pickett, and Daniel Manning. All of which at one point have helped us play substantially better at those positions over last year.

1 person likes this.
  18. Remii

Remii Member

The Ed Reed move seemed all about Bob McNair to me... And Smith was trying to replace Schaub so I'm not sure he was on board with his extension. Smith seemed to be a GM in training and he has a meddling owner.

But you don't let the head coach hire the GM. You let the GM hire the head coach. It's only very few head coaches who should have that carte blanche and Kubiak wasn't one of them and O'Brien hasn't proven that he is. That may be why Cal came out (who never talks) and said Smith is the GM if that report is true.

19. mick fry

mick fry Member

ARE THE TEXANS KICKING THE TIRES ON SCOTT PIOLI?
    P.D. Starr
    Owner/Editor
    The Houston Texans are checking on Scott Pioli in regards to their general manager position.

Despite reports that the Houston Texans are not looking to replace General Manager Rick Smith, sources close to the situation say that the organization has reached out to former Kansas City Chiefs General Manager Scott Pioli about taking on the position with the Texans.
    CBS Sports Insider Jason La Canfora first reported the possibility of the front office shakeup and Pioli’s name was not included with the initial list of candidates to possibly take over the position. The opening would be created by promoting Smith within the organization to open the general manager position.

Texans Vice Chairman Cal McNair said Sunday prior to the game against the Jacksonville Jaguars, there is “absolutely no truth” to the rumblings regarding Smith's job.
    Pioli has worked with both Romeo Crennel (Kansas City) and Bill O’Brien (New England), indicating the obvious connection of the familiarity with the coaches on staff. Pioli’s understanding of the type of players needed for the offensive and defensive system of the new look Texans is implied.
    The potential shakeup of the Texans front office rumors have started to take place, now the waiting game begins as the offseason starts.

20. mick fry

mick fry Member

^ little late on post, Pioli scares me a bit but if its who O'B wants...