1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SMART PHONES] More Than Just Apple & Samsung - Nokia & Sony

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohete Rojo, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

So, I checked out the Sony and Windows stores at the mall. Got to admit, those Nokia and Sony smartphones look supertight. You pick something up for $300 with a decent camera, all the app stuff, blutooth, etc.

2. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

I hate my windows phone. I can't watch embedded videos on clutchfans and the eBay app sucks.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think LG and Motorola are more likely to emerge from the shadows than Nokia and Sony. Unless Nokia starts making Android phones.

4. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

been an android user since the g1. ***** apple, but am looking to expand my horizons.

anyone got any input on that new Nokia (I think?) that has a 41mp camera? that's disgusting to have a camera that good on a phone, or from what I've gathered it's really a camera that has a phone on it.

thoughts? opinions?

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Rooting for Sony Experia.

But **** keeps disappointing.

6. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

My HTC One is pretty dope, too.

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

This

I have 1. It's probably my PARTICULAR model of Experia. But the phone does NOT perform up to the stated specs. I even did research that showed unbiased benchmark tests how it performed right there with a Samsung Galaxy but I'm not seeing it.

Bad battery life, it doesnt freeze but it can get sluggish, and the SUPPOSEDLY generous camera specs has non-sharp dull colored pics and vids even on the HD settings.

I blame myself though on battery, I knew you couldnt remove the battery out but I didnt think it'd be that much an issue.

(heck I wish instead of re-upping another contract, that I'da waited a little more and went with a prepaid option)

When it comes down to it for the CASUAL user, SNAPPY and DEPENDABLE is what counts. Convenient battery life, dependable network connection, nice camera - along with price - is what matters with a SMART phone. And you can put up with all the other shortcomings past that. Credit card swiping and bar code reading is nice but whats it matter that after 30 minutes on Clutchfans thats it not gonna have any juice to even use.

8. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Doubt it.

It's pretty much Samsung and Crapple.

Not changing anytime soon.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

41 MP on a phone is a complete waste.
    As long as the sensor is still crap, you won't get a better looking image.

No cell phone will ever be able to do what a point and shoot from Nikon/Canon or a DSLR from Nikon/Canon does until they can dramatically improve the quality of the image sensors in use by smartphones.

I highly suggest everyone get an Android phone and root (jailbreak) it. No more waiting on your wireless provider for updates, better battery life, more customization.

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

lol...wut?

http://press.nokia.com/wp-content/uploads/mediaplugin/photo/nokia-lumia-1020-pro-1.jpg

http://www.noknok.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/nokia-lumia-1020-pro-highres-16.jpg?2810bd

http://www.flickr.com/photos/114306...GhF-foTUo9-fiW3Da-fjCGwG-f7noYr-fqK1Tb-chc8Sy

That's crap pictures?

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Its called talking out your a$$. Every single person who has picked up the phone and taken a picture knows that Nokia knows their pictures. Hell, even the 920 takes a damn good picture. The 1020 is a 920 on steroids. Some of the pictures it takes bests my rebel xt. Is it as good as a dslr consistently? Not always. In really low light, or really high zoom conditions of course something with serious glass wins out. In terms of taking pictures in the day, going to the zoo, going to a soccer game, going to a landmark, its as good as a dslr.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The video embed is google all the way. Google does anti competitive crap all the time and then pretends they are above it all and better than Microsoft and Apple. The only way those embeds will start working is if Google removes the ban they have on MS. They did the same thing with Google maps, then enough people complained and suddenly magically the maps services started working again.

13. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Buddy of mine has a Lumina 1020 and it takes stunning photos. It blows away any camera phone out there.

1 person likes this.
  14. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

The 1020 takes the best pictures I've seen from any phone. Of course it's not DSLR quality, but they're unbelievable pictures for pictures that come from a phone.

15. RedRedemption

I stand slightly corrected. Nokia's phones use bigger and better sensors than any other smartphone on the market. I'm pretty impressed.

41MP is still overkill in my eyes though. You don't even need that much resolution on a DSLR, much less on a smartphone.

Looking at the specs, its more of a camera than a smartphone. If I had the money I would have experimented and gotten Nokia. If only Windows OS for smartphones weren't so crap.

16. RedRedemption

Yeah, I didn't realize the camera tech they were outfitting on those smartphones. Just thought this was one of those crappy sensors, but hey look 41 megapixels gimmicks.
    This is definitely not a gimmick.

17. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

After Nokia abandoned Maemo on the N900 and Meego on the N9, I said **** em.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

I have an LG Optimus 2X.

My only complaint is the horrrrrrrible battery life. I'd have to charge it at least 3 times a day. 5+ if I actually use it often. I assume it's because the Jellybean OS is eating up too much power?

19. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Check in settings for battery usage and what's taking up most of your battery.

20. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Gotta disagree again. I've had a Lumia 900 and now a 920, and the OS is my favorite part of the phone. It's beautiful and fluid and makes everything else look bland in comparison. The only knock I can see is the apps, which are getting better, but still not up to the level of iOS and Android. I think you should try using the phone before bashing it so hard.