1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Small vs large tablets

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by professorjay, Aug 19, 2013.

1. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Thoughts?

A large tablet seems bulky to carry around at times when it's just for looking up info/browsing, but a small one feels cramped screen-wise. It doesn't seem that much bigger than my Galaxy S3. Granted this is based on using one for a few minutes in the store.

I think it will mostly be used for consumption plus typing out emails and taking notes in Evernote.

The new Nexus 7 has jump started the idea of getting a tablet again. But looking at how many apps are just scaled up is a turn off. And I just stumbled across the fact that the Clockwork mod guy picks the iPad as his tablet of choice so I'm reconsidering the options.

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

The iPad mini is rumored to be getting a retina display this fall so that's another option you could wait for.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I had the medium sized Galaxy Tab, I think it's called the 8.7? It's too small IMO. Bigger is better I feel, just keep it slim.

4. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

I have a 10" tablet (Asus Transformer TF700 w/dock) and a 7" (Nexus 7, 1st gen). I use both quite a bit. I must admit, the screen on the 10" is so much nicer, I use it much more. But the battery life on the Nexus 7 is much, much better. Fair warning: the TF700 stock is not so great (somewhat laggy/slow), but I have mine rooted, unlocked, and customized pretty extensively. If you're looking for a great out-of-the-box experience, I recommend the Nexus 7. I haven't had any issue with blurry/unclear app scaling. Things looks plenty good and sharp on both displays.

All of this is assuming you're going with Android, like your phone. If you want an iPad, the mini is the way to go. Best mix of size, speed, screen (not retina, but still very good), and price.

5. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

I was in same predicament and jumped on the new Nexus 7. It's my first tablet ever and have been very happy with it. Very snappy, beautiful screen, and a sleek/slim/light design. 7" tablets are the new thing especially if you will be traveling alot. Very convenient to use.

6. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

as much as i like the 10" tablet, i found i only used it at home because it's just too big to take anywhere with convenience EVEN when I have my bag with me, I just wouldn't pull it out. 7" form factor for me is more convenient. It just sits on my desk at work and is there to use when I want because it doesn't have a huge footprint.

my phone is 4.7" and the n7 is only 7" which doesn't seem like a huge difference but it's just enough to make it worthwhile to sit for longer periods of time on a tablet than a phone, especially when reading through clutchfans or other forums and webpages.

7. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I find we use the iPad mini more. I'm thinking of turning the iPad into just the media room remote.

8. professorjay

Thanks for the anecdotes. I went to the store and played with a Nexus 7 for 15 minutes. I think I'm settled on it. During that time I took a quick look at my Galaxy S3 and it felt tiny. The extra space was much more noticeable than at first glance.

I know it sounds crazy, but anyone have experience w/ a suitably sized keyboard case? There might be times I want to pound out some emails and/or notes on this if possible.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

iPad mini. Basically any tablet at 7" is perfect size for a tablet. I always felt if you had one of those 10", you might as well use a laptop.

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

A 7 inch tablet fits perfectly in your hand like a banana. The perfect fruit.

11. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

I used to always use an iPad. But, I ended up getting a free iPad mini and I don't think I've touched my reg. iPad since.

Def. get an iPad mini or tablet around that size.

12. davo

davo Contributing Member

I recently bought a Nexus 7 (32GB) Series 1. My wife and kids have all used Ipads for the last few years, but I have never owned one. I jumped on this because it was only $170 and I wanted to try it out.

Pros - slick build, good quality, tons of apps, fits perfectly in the palm of hand, good for picking up and quickly browing something/checking email etc

Cons - with wifi only, it is really just an oversized phone with no connectivity.

I use it mostly for watching streaming/downloaded sports. WoOrks great for that.

I think 10" is too big - if you are in doubt, go for an 8" version - IPad Mini or Samsung.

13. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I have the original 10in Motorola Xoom and the 1st gen Nexus 7

I use the Nexus 7 more since its more portable but I can't let go of my Xoom because its great to watch movies/shows when I'm in bed. I also bought a stereo dock for the Xoom, and plays music flawlessly.

If you want portability, I'd stick with Nexus 7, if its just a device that's going to stay at home and maybe occasionally bring it out, then a 10 inch tablet maybe more suitable for you.

14. professorjay

8" seems like the sweet spot to me. Companies could just make 8's, forget the 7's and 10's, and I don't think many would complain. But I think companies would prefer putting out more models for more sales opportunities.

At this point I prefer the pure experience though, so it's only Nexus or iPad. If there were a Nexus 8 it's a no brainer.

Now that I think about it if I'm traveling there's a very good chance I'm taking a laptop anyways so this will be mostly for around the house use.

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I like the larger tablet...kinda seems pointless to me when I have a phone with a large screen size already. Adding a couple inches doesnt do much for me.

I have an Ipad 3 and its been perfect for me...reading, watching movies, and browsing the net. My experience would be reduced drastically with a smaller sized screen. And its not like its some big bulky thing Im carrying around...its like walking around with a paper notebook.

Now, Id consider the Nexus 7...but that would be because I like technology and I dont mind spending money on gadgets and toys.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I love my Nexus 7.

The size is perfect, fits in my back pocket AND I can hold it one hand like a book (I do mostly reading on it).

17. dback816

dback816 Member

I have the original ipad and an ipad mini

Don't carry either one out of the door so...yeah

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Wife really uses her Ipad Mini more than her regular Ipad and laptop.

19. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

Can the tablet experts on here please tell me if the refurbished Kindle Fire HD tablets that Amazon currently has on sale are any good?

They have the 7" 16GB and 32 GB going for $119 and $149, respectively. That sale ends at noon. They also have the 8.9" 16GB and 32GB selling for $179 and $199, respectively. It's a one-day sale.

Just wondering if I should jump on one of them and, if so, which one?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/

Thanks!

20. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Come on brah, live it up.....;)

[​IMG]