1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Small Forward rankings

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by plutoblue11, May 9, 2012.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I thought about that for a second and outside of the elite and really solid players, the position doesn't possess stalwart talent and exceeding depth. I pull this piece from an ESPN NBA Draft ranking by positions. It basically talked about the lack of depth and not only center, but also small forward.

SFs who posses PER 15.0 and higher

First Tier (elite group, typically over 20)
    LeBron, Carmelo, Durant, Pierce

Second Tier (very good group)
    Rudy Gay, Danny Granger, Andre Igoudala,

Third Tier (Solid to good group)
    Danilo Gallinari, Nicolas Batum, Gerald Wallace, Shawn Marion, Thaddeus Young, and Kawhi Leonard

Fourth Tier (Borderline group, a few head scratchers in this list)
    Marvin Williams, Mike Dunleavy, Steve Novak, Jon Leuer (limited games), Kevin Seraphin (tweener), Dorrell Wright, Matt Barnes, and Jared Dudley

Surprising players without 15.0 or higher PER and Players (mostly rookies and bench players) with higher PER than expected:

Luol Deng, Hedo Turkoglu, Grant Hill, Michael Beasley, Chandler Parsons (rookie) (13.3), Caron Butler, Chase Budinger (14.9), Metta World Peace (Ron Artest), Dante Cunningham (14.9), Trevor Ariza, Derrick Byars (14.9)

2. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

3. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Top-20 off the top of my head:

LeBron
    Durant

Carmelo
    Pierce
    Iggy
    Granger
    Gallo
    Gay
    G.Wallace
    Deng

Batum
    P.George
    Parsons
    Leonard
    Dudley
    G.Hill
    Hayward
    Marion
    MWP
    W.Chandler

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Does this go back through history, or just recently. Because if SF is the least >15 PER position throughout the history of the NBA, then maybe it has something to do with the nature of the position -- a typical SF is not big enough for low post play (rebounds, fouls, high efficiency) and not charged with running an offense (fouls, assists).

imo, the SF position is the least important one in basketball -- albeit, the two MVP candidates are SFs...sorta. So, I don't find this to be surprising.

5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Just this year alone.

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Lebron and Durant can both play effective minutes offensively/defensively as a 1,2,3, or 4. They are not even small forwards to me.

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Did you say, "P.....E......R?!?"

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BpgDtoj73DQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

Trade Chandler for Chandler!

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

More or less what my first thoughts were. I can't think of many championship teams led by their star SF. Not that there haven't been great SF's historically. And not that looking at only champions should be the criteria, because the NBA is so lacking in parity there may have been some otherwise all-worldly SF's that just never won a championship because a team like the Bulls or Lakers were so dominant for so long... but even considering that, still not many pop to my mind. Lakers, Spurs, Bulls, Rockets, Heat, Mavs, Pistons, etc.

Only two come to mind: Larry Bird, and Dr. J. But then you're talking about the 2 greatest small forwards ever.

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

John Havlicek, may not have any qualms about not being included, but he did win lead Celtics to a few titles and was the best player on the team.

I'm sure Rick Barry would little pissy as usual, he lead two teams to the Finals and won in 75 with what sometimes people call very little help.

You've got more modern players, like LeBron, Dominique, Pierce, or Durant

Notice two things about great small forwards who win a title:

1) Good to great scorers
    2) Versatile players offensively, and above average defensively (maybe except Barry)
    3) Their teams have good rosters

Even with Larry Bird and Dr. J, they did not win titles on teams you could characterized as lacking talent, not like you would a team that has a go-to center.