1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Small Ball Rockets at 118.6 points per 100 possessions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coyotetex, Feb 4, 2020.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

I’ll start believing when it’s not used stubbornly and can beat the Lakers, Bucks, Raptors etc.

2. smp

smp Member

Don’t worry about that. What really matters to this coach is offensive numbers over the course of the season.

When we go cold shooting In the playoffs, that’s when we are done. No defense to fill in the gap. Not enough time in a 7 game series for the law of averages to balance out. It’s going to take a miracle run of hot shooting to win a championship like this.

MDA has been making this same mistake since he was coaching the Suns.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And it works because Russ and Harden are going to average 20 rebounds a night. So you just need some tough ass 3 & D Forwards that can hit their assignments and clean up the rest.

pr0wler and fckbandwagons like this.
  4. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Some of the best defense I've seen the rockets play had Tucker at C and Ariza at PF, switching everything, in the playoffs.

oelman44, IvanLCPM, BigMaloe and 4 others like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

3 and 0 playing smallball. And Rockets beat a fully healthy Jazz team quite convincingly

Would have beat Mavs with Luka too IMO.

fckbandwagons and coyotetex like this.
  6. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

It's damn hard to beat James when he is swagging, and giving him 3-4 shooters at all times gives him maximum space to get funky.

everyday eddie, BigMaloe and D-rock like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Did not need 20 from either and still won. But will need the screener to pick up double digits.

House first career double double. Cannot expect him to do that consistently with his limitations at only 6'6 with 6'8 wingspan

Need better screener and diver. That's not Tucker, that's not even Covington.

Think Faried but with DEFENSE.

We need AG.

RudyTBag likes this.
  8. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Whoever it is needs to be able to shoot too, that's the catch. That is not an easy player to find. I'd rather use Westbrook as a screener in most cases.

9. smp

smp Member

I agree in short timeframes. Like to close out a game. I don’t think it is sustainable though. Our guys will get tired and break down. Then their shots will stop falling. It looks like we are going to find out though. I certainly hope I’m wrong!

RudyTBag likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Need more than just WB, especially when he does not play B2B.

Need Kenneth Faried type but plays high end defense.

Aaron Gordon should be Morey's primary target, not Covington.

Use FRP to pick up young Covington - Mikal Bridges.

11. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Coach D is on board:

"Yes...Probably won't happen because Clint (Capela) will be back and we'll go normal and play small some...But right now if we can get that lineup really good. Then, yeah, it can help us going forward"
    I disagree (Not when WB sits of course). Need at least 3 shooters in the game with Harden at all times, imo.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

I put this question in my 2nd post

How much will a wing like Covington and some decent C that plays maybe 20 mpg while we go super small the rest of the time improve the defense and rebounding? That is the key.

I am only concerned with if we will be able to hold our own against the big frontcourts of good teams...If the defensive rebounding won’t be an absolute joke

I’m not that interested in our offensive efficiency when going small as offense is not, and has never been, our biggest issue...defense and rebounding gotta be on point

Blurr#7 likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t agree with the assumption that the Rockets will be worse defensively if the acquire someone like Covington and lose Capela.

The rebounding will suffer but whoever replaces Capela will get double digit rebounds if they play 25 or more minutes a game and they will likely get rebounding help from the players they add.

The transition defense will also be greatly improved which likely means they will be more willing to run more.

BigMaloe likes this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

Milwaukee can defend, Milwaukee can rebound...Milwaukee is #1 because they are elite on both ends

Lakers at the top of the West because they are elite on both ends...Clippers are elite on both ends

What math are those 2 teams using?

good offense + good defense = good chance at title contending...that’s the only math I’m trying to hear

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Aaron Gordon? This guy: https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gordoaa01.html

30% from 3? Doesn't really get the the FT line much. Low eFG percentage. How does he fix our efficiency lulls?

pr0wler, RudyTBag and D-rock like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

I think you have forgotten or severely underestimate the dunker position.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Magic system is slowball full court & paint congested, AG plays with 2 bigs at all times.

He is lethal in transiton and PnR. Something Magic do not emphasize.

When AG plays in system emphasizing space, he takes production to another level. 2nd in offense to GSW in 2018.

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/10/31/aaron-gordon-orlando-magic-three-point-shooting-frank-vogel

#37 D-rock, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Meed wings with wingspans of 7'0 plus and are gritty rebounders.

Think Faried.

Collins & AG are like Faried but at least one is a much better defender.

19. bmd

bmd Member

These stats don't take into account the moves that could be made. It's simply the small ball roster as it is. It doesn't take into account adding Robert Covington to the rotation. It doesn't take into account any other players who might be added.

The fact of the matter is Capela and Westbrook do not work well together on offense because neither one of them can shoot. Teams sag off and pack the paint making it harder for everyone to score.

I think a move for Capela has to be made. They can't win with both him and Westbrook.

pr0wler, Blurr#7, Nook and 3 others like this.
  20. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

How are the 10th ranked Clippers an Elite offensive team?

And the math that got us 65 wins an a CP3 injury away from the finals is fine with me.

fckbandwagons and D-rock like this.