1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Slojoj Zizek wrote a new book about the refugee crisis

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Deji McGever, Sep 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Dei

Dei Member

**** you. Even civilians have a right to say what to do in a war scenario. You think you're so entitled to be able to call the shots on how everyone gets to live their lives just because you're ex-Marine?

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No.. I think you ought to not ****ing tell families who just had their houses blown up to stand and fight when you never experience a similar situation. Yes, daddy, the irresponsible is going to fight some ****ing ISIS ****heads while having his toddler rolling around the rubble laughing right?

My Marine Corps experience is **** compared to what they are going through. I had the support of a fully armed Marine platoon along with air support. I have the empathy to not impose actions that I am not sure I would have the cojones to do myself.

Apparently empathy is not in yourself.

3. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

What are you talking about?

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There are similarities in attitude of the Western public between cultural assimilation of a large refugee population and Western interventions abroad with the challenges that come from occupation.

Before Dubya, the Left in the US were known as the humanitarian interventionist wing, with Mr.Clinton sending troops to Somalia and Haiti. Wasn't it Blair who referenced Rwanda in order to prod Clinton, through NATO, to perform American led airstrikes on the Balkans?

It's a White Man's Burden of sorts. No one today dares say the word outright, yet the impression still exists and has been often repeated. Makes sense that future generations now believe it with the goodest of intents.

The refugee camps littered across Europe will continue to act like inflamed boils until private citizens take a step into those areas and see with their eyes what government response is like and how their cultures will merge or collide.

The clock is ticking, and it isn't the extreme rightist's doing.

5. Dei

Dei Member

I'm sympathetic but I wouldn't jeopardize my country for it like Europe has. I'd take in as many migrants as society can manage to integrate and that's it - around a few thousand or so. I wouldn't take the entire country in.

Yes it's deplorable that some of the victims are children and women but most of the migrants coming into Europe are actually young men. And these guys don't behave like people in distress - they steal, they rape, they kill. You can't trace their country of origin either because they throw away their passports.

And, yes, I do think it's a legitimate criticism of a nation's people that they aren't fighting for it back home. The French, when the Nazis occupied France, had a resistance movement. Syria, in a way, is at an advantage considering they still have a government and an army plus Russian support. Can you imagine ISIS being able to do what they're doing in Texas? Even without the army, Texans would stand their ground.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

A typical Syrian family had their home bombed by their government and then they are chased by the entity that is fighting the entity that bombed them(ISIS). By no means is it a similar situation. A civilian Syria can't trust hardly any faction. There wasn't a pure black and white situation with the French.

7. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I've never thought about that or heard that said, but I agree. I distinctly remember Cherie Blair in the 90s on TV talking about Rwanda I believe and suggesting just bringing the disaffected to the UK, as if all the world's problems were as simple as solving as letting your friends move into your guest room. I remember at the time doing a double take.

I think the refugee crisis will be seen as naive and ill-informed as the invasion of Iraq: something most people wanted, with utterly dire consequences, based on completely irrational wishful thinking.