1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Slim-Fast Dumps Goldberg Over Bush Jabs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by IROC it, Jul 15, 2004.

1. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Good for them... Republican or not, there is a line when it comes to jokes about our sitting President.

Slim-Fast Dumps Goldberg Over Bush Jabs

link to story

The Slim-Fast diet drink company has dumped Whoopi Goldberg from its advertising because its executives were unhappy with remarks the comedian made at a recent political rally that mocked President Bush.

"We are disappointed by the manner in which Ms. Goldberg chose to express herself and sincerely regret that her recent remarks offended some of our consumers. Ads featuring Ms. Goldberg will no longer be on the air," Slim-Fast general manager Terry Olson said in a press release Wednesday.

Goldberg participated at a recent Democratic fund-raiser at Radio City Music Hall in New York, joining performers such as John Mellencamp, Jon Bon Jovi, Paul Newman, Meryl Streep, Jessica Lange and John Leguizamo.

At one point in a speech mocking the Bush administration, Goldberg used his surname as a sexual reference.

The event raised $7.5 million for the John Kerry-John Edwards presidential ticket. Both Kerry and Edwards attended, but neither commented about the jokes made by the celebrities toward Bush.

Goldberg's representatives did not immediately return a call for comment Wednesday.

Slim-Fast Foods is based in West Palm Beach, Fla

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Forget it...not worth it.

3. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

You can say it was "comedy" or you can say it was "tasteless." Nevertheless...guess who's caught in the middle? Not Whoopi Goldberg...but rather, Slim-Fast. Already in a decline of sales, they will feel the pinch from BOTH SIDES of the DEBATE.

The ones that threatened to boycott if they DIDN'T drop Goldberg, and the ones that threatened to boycott if they DID drop Goldberg. LOL! Guess the CEO wont be getting a bonus this year! :D

#3 DavidS, Jul 15, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2004
  4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I thought this was going to be about Bill Goldberg. :)

5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

So Slim-Fast gets to exercise their right to free speech.

6. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

She got what she deserved. She shouldn't have run her big mouth like that. The sad thing is that the Presdential team/couple of Kerry/Edwards just sat there and smiled while she viciously smeared the president in an obscenity-laden tirade. If I would have been them, I would have said for Whoopi to muzzle it.

7. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Pointless, stupid non-story. Attack a rundown, old actor to hide the problems with Iraq, the budget, and health insurance.

Whoopi Goldberg is not funny. George Bush is not a good President. Which is more important to the country ?? Whoopi's show already got canceled.

Let's get back on track , people.

8. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

But of course. If Bush had to actually run on his record, he would lose in a landslide. Expect more of the same from the party of smoke and mirrors as the summer and fall wear on.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Expect more what? George Bush didn't fire Whoopi Goldberg, Slimfast did.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i heard her comments were really quite vulgar. is that right?

11. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Yes, she made some double entendre on "Bush"

I heard it was quite funny!

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

If their customers complained, I don't blame them. I mean, are lost profits really worth protecting Whoopi Goldberg? I didn't think so either.

:)

13. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Would you want Whoopi as a spokesperson for slimfast anyways? I'd fire the marketing director as well.

14. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

In the atkins age, im surprised slimfast is still kicking. sounds more like budget cuts instead.

15. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Of course. Didn't you hear? Kerry called the people there "the heart of America". :rolleyes:

16. rocketabc

rocketabc Contributing Member

I guess this means that the Bush Administration is also running SlimFast behind the scenes? Sorry, I couldn't resist...

And sexual references to Bush's name? What about the endless possibilities with the phrase "making Whoopi"?

17. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I have a motto for the Edwards-Kerry ticket. It is reminiscent of Harry Truman. Here it is: Two Johns in Every American Home!

18. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

It's understandable from a business point of view!

19. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

And if you attack a rundown, old actor who is a conservative and use creative editing you can win an Oscar and go on the speech circuit.

20. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Yep. Agreed.