1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sleepovers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mrs. Valdez, May 5, 2011.

Tags:
?

Would you let your children go to a sleep over?

1. Generally, yes.

46 vote(s)
    47.4%
  2. Generally, no.

7 vote(s)
    7.2%
  3. Only with approved families.

44 vote(s)
    45.4%
  1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The same stuff that elem kids were doing in those days.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

1. check out the parents
    2. ask what they'll be doing
    3. make sure they'll be supervised
    4. sleeping arrangements are conducive to actually sleeping and not staying up.
    5. only one kid in the restroom at a time.

And I'd make an effort to hang out with the parents, get to know them. I'd be worried that the parents may "favor" the kids they're more familiar with and not pay as much attention to my kid.

3. Steve_Francis_rules

Yes, fun and good memories.

Crazy parents these days. Let kids be kids.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i guess pedophilia and kidnapping and murder didn't exist in my day. that or my parents were just awful awful parents.

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Way to jump to the worst possible scenario.

Puppies get sick, if it's only been a day, it's really not that big of a deal. Dogs usually get parvo from ingesting another dogs feces or in rare cases a mosquito bite.

Most likely your pup is constipated or something, if he doesn't return to normal in the next couple of days you should take him in.

1 person likes this.
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Your child is more likely to be autistic than have something go wrong at a sleepover.

Worry about that.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Why are so many people actually concerned with kids getting sleep? Unless there is something they have to do the next day, does it really matter? I had many the late night at sleepovers.

Why only one kid in the restroom at a time?

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

That is why am I not going to expose my children to the fraud of immunizations.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I give my children every chance they can get to sleepover. They're still on a biomolecular level though ;)

1 person likes this.
  10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

What's with the paranoia about sleepovers. The kids that will be with your child are your child's good friends from school. They play everyday at school or pre-school, they won't all of a sudden turn into rapists and sexually abuse your kid. To me it's like an extended playing time with a lot more freedom. And the chances of the parents being pedophiles and kidnappers are very slim. If you are still not convinced, check them out first, or go have a few play days before hand.

I for one had a lot of fun as a kid during the sleepovers, and no, we didn't sleep much, and that's about the only trouble we gave to the parents, because we kept waking them up during the night.

And what's with the one gender only rule when the kid is only 6 or 7, what are they honestly going to do. Just separate them during sleep time if you are that paranoid.

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

1. That is an entirely isolated situation.

I honestly don't blame anyone for wanting to keep their kids safe. At the end of the day, children are children and it's the parents' responsibility first and foremost to keep them safe. Independence for the child is great, but baby steps people. It's absurd to think any pre-pubescent kid has the know-how to avoid bad situations. After puberty it's more so their rebellious attitudes than them not knowing better that you need to worry about.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG]

:(

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Yeah, it's not like they need sleep!

Besides the obvious, if the kids don't go to bed or wake up (while the parents are asleep), then you basically have children unsupervised, doing who knows what. Something as simple as jumping off the bad can go bad. I get that this happens at home sometimes, siblings wake up in the middle of the night, but i think it's a different situation whent he kids aren't familiar with each other and the home they're in. It's not about putting them down to bed at 7pm and sucking the fun out of it, but keeping them safe. Surely some will still wake up, but don't make it difficult for those who want to sleep to actually sleep.

I think the restroom part is pretty obvious, especially when Mrs Valdez mentioned her concern with the kids "experimenting". Maybe you're the kind of person that thinks it's all harmless at that age, and that's fine, but these aren't all your kids. If i'm the hosting parent, I would already have that as a rule to make sure there's no problems with the kids or other parents. I don't see why it should be an issue. You're not taking away their fun or sleepover experience. And obviously i mean one at a time when they're going to pee or even shower for some reason.

You can really sum it up by just being considerate of others. You've got someone else's kids under your roof and unless you're family or old friends you probably don't know know how they'll react to every situation. Also, you dont want to be the parent who screwed up. Your kid will pay the price.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I agree completely. It's almost like parents today are training their kids not to get close to anyone. How do you form relationships with friends if you don't have that extra time with them to just be kids? Do these overprotective types want their kids to not have any friends purely in the name of (irrational) safety? What kind of life is that?

People in general are not more dangerous now than they were when any of us were kids. The only difference between now and then is that most of it gets slapped on the news and crammed down our throats as if everyone you don't know IS a pedophile.

1 person likes this.
  15. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

Grown girl and boy here.

You have had good answers so far. Most important, know and trust the parents.

Have an understanding about what bedtimes will try to be enforced. Cranky sleepy kids the next day was our biggest problem.

If they are watching movies, understand what is allowed re maturity level, scary movies, etc.

If food is an issue, discuss that as well.

We did not allow coed sleepovers. Lock ins at the church (older kids) were also forbidden - lots of sins being committed. :eek:

A little caution and common sense and everything will work out fine. :)

1 person likes this.
  16. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I remember one of the first sleepovers I ever had, looked at my watch 'OMH, it's 2:00 am, I've never been up so late.' and just giggling about it for 5 minutes. I think it's perfectly safe though, although now that I think of it, my parents never really met the parents of the people I would be staying with.

17. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Sounds like a bunch of sour grapes to me. I'm sure they themselves went to sleepovers as a kid. It's part of growing up. After reading their "fears" about what might happen it sounds like a lot of paranoia. I think if you know the parents of the other child and trust them, there is nothing wrong with sleepovers.

Let me just say this, I believe that kids who never experience sleeping away from home/parents struggle more to lead independent lives.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm not saying kids don't need sleep, but mother nature will take over at some point. I can remember the first time I stayed up all night, I ended up falling asleep around lunchtime on the back of our couch. I don't think I ever went to sleep before 1 or 2 on any sleepover. Good times.

I'm the kind of person that wouldn't share a restroom with someone. I spent the night at one kids house when I was fairly young, and we took a shower together, and he used the restroom while I was in the there. I thought it very awkward, but I certainly wouldn't make a rule regarding it. If two kids of the same sex are comfortable with that, than I would not care. I don't think they are more likely to experiment in the bathroom than they are in the bedroom.

Edit: I mostly just thought the bathroom rule seemed like a weird thing to come up with. I've never experienced a rule like that, and it was only that one time that sharing a bathroom ever occurred.

#58 juicystream, May 5, 2011
    Last edited: May 5, 2011
  19. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

My mom would not let me to sleep over until I was in middle school or high school. My childhood bestfriend always stayed at my house but I couldn't stay at her house. Mom said she had too many males living in her house. I don't blame her for not allowing me.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm not a parent, but I have close relatives at that age, and I've also been in charge of after school programs at that age level. Some kids are very private about it and others always see it as an opportunity to goof around. It doesn't take long to make a private kid visibly upset or feel awkward, so I just think making a clear rule like that is easier than trying to figure out beforehand if they are comfortable. I wouldn't want to make a kid feel like he has no choice, since i'm letting it happen (if i'm the hosting parent). Also, i think they're more likely to think about experimenting when they have their pants down, which is more likely to happen in the bathrom.