1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sleep Apnea

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hotballa, Apr 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

I got the sleep study done and was waiting on the results. One night my sleep was so terrible I decided to just buy a CPAP off CL so I picked one up off CL. It has about 5k hours on it. Is that too much? My prescription says I should be at 9. I know the ramp feature but I am not too familiar with it. Is the A-flex the feature that detects when you stop breathing and raises the pressure?

2. ling ling

ling ling Member

5000 is a lot of hours, but that's okay.

Ramp is where the cpap starts at a low pressure so it makes it easier for you when you first start to use it. It will raise the pressures steadily over the next few minutes.

A flex is where the machine reduce the pressures as you exhale. Kinda like 9lbs in and 9lbs out, instead of 9lbs in and 13lbs as you exhale.

3. ling ling

ling ling Member

Another way to describe a flex.

If you have constant pressure at 9lbs.

When you inhale, the pressure will feel less than 9lbs. When you exhale, the pressure will feel more than 9 lbs.

A flex will detect when you are exhaling and will reduce the pressure so that you don't have to exert extra force to exhale.

One feature of the Phillips is that it auto start and stop. Put on the mask, take a deep breath and it will start.

Take the mask off and it will turn off.

I haven't read up on if it detects if you stop breathing.

4. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Was just diagnosed with central sleep apnea. Did an in-home sleep study earlier this month...will do an on-site sleep study with a CPAP machine in a few weeks. Tired of feeling tired. Ran across this article on Engadget and thought it was interesting. Seems that if Nintendo can create something simple to help monitor sleeping patterns (and possibly identify sleeping disorders) and make it more affordable, then maybe the system will change and make this an easier and cheaper process.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014...20141030?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews

5. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Tried the ramp stuff.. Still not helping much. I think with the full face mask the problem is the straps on the back of my head are too tight and it causes me to feel tingling/numbness throughout my body and then I wake up with my heart beating really fast. Think I'll have to try a nasal mask with a chin strap. Already have spent alot of money on masks but I really want to treat this sleep apnea

6. ling ling

ling ling Member

Nasal mask is the only way to go as there is less fitting issues.

This place gives 30 days return on your mask if you don't like it. It costs a little more, but worth it if you are still trying to find the best fit for you.
    https://www.respshop.com/mask_assurance.php

Which nasal mask are you thinking of getting? I have the swift FX and the swift LT.

Both are good, but I prefer the FX. The LT allows you to route the hose away from your body as you sleep. The LT gave me funky hair style in the morning :).

I got the chin strap as an additional item as I often breath with my mouth.

I never used it at all because your body will naturally close your mouth because you cannot breath with the mouth open, not even a little bit. The air just pumps from your nose to straight out your mouth. I tried to force opening my mouth just to see if I could, but it shuts back fast.

I think you can try it out with

7. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Question for you guys in the apnea fraternity...how long does it take to get used to the mask? Just got my BiPAP machine on Monday and wore the mask for about 45 minutes as I was trying to fall asleep...and eventually took it off. Trying to slowly work my way into using it for the entire night and also getting my wife used to the repetitive machine noises.

The mask I have was not what was ordered by my doctor...the medical supply place gave me a similar mask. I have no problems with the head straps or nose area...but it always feels like my mouth is being pinched. Is this normal? It's uncomfortable at first...but I guess I start heading towards doze-land and I forget about it until I get jarred awake.

Also...once I get used to this thing and am able to sleep through the entire night, how long will it be before I notice a difference in energy level or feel refreshed after waking in the morning?

8. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

You really should see a doc but if you don't want to yet due to insurance issues, try losing weight if you are overweight and don't drink alcohol before bed (that would worsen whatever sleep apnea you may have).

Also try sleeping on your side. People breathe better that way.

9. ling ling

ling ling Member

Don't give up. I hated using the cpap for about a week. Another week to get comfortable. If the medical supply company gave you a mask that wasn't what the doctor ordered, return it and get the correct one. It's at least a good excuse.

10. Man

Man Contributing Member

Hey y'all, can I get some of your input on experiences with central sleep apnea vs. obstructive? Has anyone had a bit of both? How do you correct central sleep apnea (i.e., how do you tell your brain to actually breathe?)? Also, I'm more interested in the non-weight putting pressure-related type.

Also, do the CPAP machines work fine if you're sleeping on the side, or instead of having to sleep on your side, can you revert to sleeping on your back? I sleep on my side to try and get better air flow, just curious if it would matter with the CPAP.

Thanks!

11. ling ling

ling ling Member

Obstructive = snoring.

I have to sleep on my back. Sleeping on the side causes leaking.

12. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

As long as there is a seal you can sleep on your side.
    Central sleep apnea is different though the cpap can help with that. There are medications for that too.
    You really should get checked out by a doc if you have any type of sleep apnea.