1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sleep Apnea

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hotballa, Apr 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

The great Reggie White's death is linked to sleep apnea.

2. ILoveTheRockets

My brother passed away last month from Sleep Apnea. He was young and healthy, I would go get it checked out annually.

Wish you well dude

3. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Whoa. Really? Sorry to hear that. That's really scary since I'm pretty sure I have it.

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

1. Loose weight(especially common in people with "large necks")
    2. If your skinny/not really obese, or still concerned...go see a pulmonary physician who have sleep disorder training...
    3. You may have to do a sleep study to determine if you have central(brain caused) or obstructive(nasal passageway caused) sleep apnea...
    4 You may be prescribed a CPAP device(continuous Positive airway pressure)
    5. You may need surgery to address a defect in the nasal passage way...

Bottom line, most people with Sleep apnea, often have obstructive sleep apnea and are often times quite overweight...losing weight is an actual prescription for sleep apnea...

5. ILoveTheRockets

I never thought much about it until he passed, everyone in my family has it. It can get worse over time. Get it checked

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Whatever decision you make, do it quickly. Sleep apnea is nothing to play around with. My father died of a heart attack related to it.

One suggestion that gave me 100% temporary relief while I considered options was sleeping in a comfy chair, back to the wall, feet elevated. Put a pillow behind your head so you it won't lean backwards. This solved my problem completely while I went through the process of getting a CPAP machine.

When I sleep laying down with the CPAP, I will stop breathing anywhere from 8-40 times total overnight. (Without it well over 100+ times). When I sleep in the chair with the CPAP, it's 0-2 times total the whole night. The key is how comfortable the chair is.

7. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

This makes some sense. I had to sleep upright for a couple of weeks when I got really sick and had a load of muccus in my lungs. Surprisingly I don't remember waking up too much.

I've had this since I was a kid but it was way worse back then. I used to literally stop breathing for a long time, would always have nightmares of people choking me or drowning. It actually wasn't that bad in my 20s but since the son was born, I've had zero time to goto the gym and the weight has been piling on lately.

8. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

bump

hotballa...did you ever go in for testing?

Just curious. I had my annual checkup this week and first thing the doctor asked was if I was feeling tired (which is something I mentioned to him last annual visit). I told him yes and that I was also experiencing some other issues (minor depression and inability to focus mentally)...and he got all excited and said he thinks I might have sleep apnea.

Now I had heard of sleep apnea...but never really knew what it was or the treatments. After researching the sleep study...I cannot believe how expensive this process is. I'm to the point, though, that I'm fatigued enough everyday that I'll give almost any amount of money to fix this problem. Weight is not a problem. The doctor did say I had a large soft palate, which might be a contributing factor. Not really thrilled about going through this process...and I'm actually quite a bit nervous...as if my symptoms are not being caused by sleep apnea...then something else possibly worse it going on.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Rent out a cpap, try it for a month. You need to get used to it for a few weeks...

10. ling ling

ling ling Member

Are you interested in a cheap solution?

11. Yonkers

I just had my sleep study done. I am waiting on results. I'm pretty sure I have it though so it won't be a surprise. I'll be eager to see how I fare with a cpap machine.

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

lets hear the punchline

13. ling ling

ling ling Member

No punch lines.

I've taken the sleep study and currently using the cpap.

I think the study was a waste of money and the cpap over priced.

I can offer my knowledge and give the guys an economical solution.

14. Yonkers

So no punch lines and no economical solutions in your posts. Want to drag it out a little more before you'll actually answer? Let me guess, your Facebook posts are also along the lines of 'So mad today *angry face*'.

15. ling ling

ling ling Member

Some people would want to change the oil themselves, while others would only take it to the shop.

I'm not going to show him how to change oil, if he has no interest in it.

16. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

Drop that knowledge on us....

17. ling ling

ling ling Member

Cool. I can do that. I'm at work right now so I'll post it tonight or tomorrow. Typing from the phone isn't fun.

18. cardpire

cardpire Member

let us know tomorrow if you think you will be able to tell us on saturday, or possibly some time next week.

19. ling ling

ling ling Member

Thanks for your contribution in this thread. Go to page 1 and see some of my comments.

20. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Eagerly awaiting your knowledge you shall bestow upon us.

p.s... I hope this doesn't involve swallowing live goldfish