1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Slate] Hang up and Listen - w/ GM Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Arthurprescott2, Nov 26, 2012.

1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Morey is the black D-Mo.

A class act and I hope he retires a Rocket.

2. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Front page of CF is the best I've ever seen it. Many good threads and good discussions in others.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

lol... exactly...yeah, I can't wait for him to finally evolve to something more of REAL value rather than IMAGINED value.

4. Arthurprescott2

I'm gonna show my age/immaturity (might have played it at an older age than I had any right to) here by making the analogy :grin::

Metapod to Butterfree?
    Magicarp to Gyrados?

5. mirus

mirus Member

By constanly using splash and switch your pokemon before it hits a ko until level 21?:p Next.

6. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

It has nothing to do with PR, legalities, or cost. Morey believes he is one of the two franchise players that the Rockets have.

Would you cut Lebron James because he was acting like a spaz?

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

We are Borg ...

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Lin doesn't even have to be insane to be interesting... oh, wait...

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

DM just doing what he does, being awesome.

10. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Really,you're comparing Royce to Lebron ? Seriously :rolleyes:

11. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

top 5 'talent' in a particular draft year does not equal top 5 player in the NBA ... I think people are just getting that confused

12. Doctor Robert

He's saying that "top 5 talent" in any particular draft is where the superstars come from. He isn't saying anything about where Royce stands at this time. It's a statement about his potential.

13. Doctor Robert

Morey said that Royce was an "elite talent - top five talent" in the draft, and it took two guys like that to win a championship. Obviously, no one wins a championship with a team built around a rookie and a 3 year guy.

Morey is talking about potential, and I'm only interpreting what he said in the interview. He means that Royce has the potential to grow into a player that can help carry a team to a championship. I said Lebron as a concrete example of a guy (with the help of Dwayne Wade) won a championship. Other players that have carried their team to a championship lately:
    - Nowitski
    - Duncan
    - James
    - Wade

Morey is saying Royce could become that good.

14. Doctor Robert

I should also point out that Morey never said anything like that about Jones, Montiejunas, Lin, Patterson, Lamb, Martin, Scola, or Asik.

Morey is CLEARLY saying that White has more potential than anyone on the team except Harden.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Ron Jeremy Lin doesn't even have to be mentally ill to be interesting.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

I wouldn't read too deeply into what Morey in regards to what he considers "talent." Morey doesn't outright lie, but he speaks in a way to always put his players in their best light. He paints a bright picture when he talks, but then his actions will show a totally different picture. I mean, I remember when he said that CBud and Hill both had "all-star potential" even after a fairly big sample size to suggest otherwise. But technically, he wasn't lying. It was possible, just not even close to being probable.

I think more than talent, Morey or perhaps McHale was simply enamored with White's playmaking ability for a PF. Which may provide some interesting nuances in their offense that a traditional PF would not. But it was clear that White is otherwise very raw.

17. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

lol the way some folks call Jlin Asian, is like calling Harden, African.
    Folks Jlin is Asian American. AMERICAN .

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That's insane. Mentioning RW in one sentence with the King. He has to stop. Hard work
    beats talent when talent does not work hard- does tweetr

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Incredible find. Als thanks to the poster who pointed out there was a transcript or I wouldn't have followed it.

So many amaazing statements by Morey. More and more sold he is the guy.

WRT to Royce. I like his thinking. Aside from the anxiety and mental illness issue Royce has just had major problems adapting to change whetherr at Minnesota in college or now the NBA.

As Morey says Royce is in his opinion a top 5 talent where the stars come from so go with the chance.

Let's keep rooting for Royce and the Rockets and folks who trash Morey for Royce are morons whether it works out or not.

20. iconoclastism

iconoclastism Member

Then we call Royce African then.