1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SLAM] We Miss Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by freemaniam, Feb 14, 2014.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jeremy Lin graduated from Harvard! dude would be working at McKenzie or Bain if he didn't play ball.

Yao would have be a chimney sweeper for the government if it didn't work out.

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

LOL @ Lin fans claiming Lin somehow had it worse than Yao, and that he needs a translator to understand racism. What a bunch of frucking idiots.

3. treeman

treeman Member

We never got to make a real run with Yao but he is one of my favorites of all time. When he was healthy he absolutely dominated in every. The man could defend the rim, deter shots, he could finish at the rim, he could shoot from range. If he was in the league today there's NO DOUBT he'd be the best center in the league.

He was the equivalent of Hakeem for the 2000s. Unfortunately, too big for his own feet. The man was muscle, too heavy.

But above that, he was a genuinely good man. I met him once and he struck me as extremely patient and polite. Everything else I read and heard about him tells me that he is both intelligent and compassionate. He is a credit to the sport in every way. I fear he represents an old guard, a sort of man that the league might not see again. It seems modern "stars" are fabrications by comparison.

I He was, and still is, a class act. I sincerely hope he stays involved in the league in other ways.

1 person likes this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://blog.sfgate.com/ontheblock/2...n-3rd-highest-median-family-income/#7839101=0

Palo Alto residents earn 3rd highest median family income
    Posted on October 12, 2012

With a median family income of $163,661, Palo Alto’s median was just a few thousand dollars shy of Bethesda, Maryland and Greenwich, Connecticut, which were the top two high earning towns in the country.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/china/iphone-manufacturer-foxconn-to-double-worker-salaries-by-2013/438
    The base salary in Foxconn's Chinese manufacturing bases will be lifted to RMB 4,400 ($700) per month by the end of 2013, from current RMB 2,200 ($350) per month, Taiwan-based Business Weekly reported last week, citing Foxconn’s President Terry Gou.

5. Champ06

Champ06 Member

So....where does Lin prefers to live in, US or China?

6. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

I really miss Yao too, the only other player I wish to come back more than Yao is Hakeem. In their prime that is......

7. recboil

recboil Member

never heard of McKenzie...must be a third tier management consulting firm or something.

8. Panda23

Panda23 Member

McKinsey.

9. recboil

recboil Member

exactly

10. gamor

gamor Member

what happeded to u, tinman?

if my memory is right, you were a big tmac fan back in time, lol.

11. gamor

gamor Member

That laker's Yao came back scene will be a classic forever.

I was literally having tears, lol, never a sport toughed me like that, not even Jordan's

flu final shot.

Anyway, like Yao said, there is no if. But I still believe with healthy Yao and Tmac, We

sure can win few rings.

A lot fans compare Yao and DH now and then. Seriously, fans value star players way too

heavy. It still is a team game, need a right coach and system, to let a player shine and

win. If you gave Yao a right system and good pieces aound him, HD had no chance to

win against Yao, no matter how they run and gun. Same for the league, Rocket didn't

dominate because they hadn't find the system and pieces yet, then the injuries..

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Yao wasn't just a Rocket, he was a Rocket lifer. He was drafted by the Rockets, developed by the Rockets, and gave his all to the Rockets. There's a reason everyone loved him. And there's a reason why he never had any issues with any coaches or players while he played. He literally was everything you want from a player in terms of personality, mindset, and dedication.

I think in all my years on this board, I've never blasted Yao ever. I've criticized his play, certainly, never questioned his willingness to defend, being a ballhog, dogging it on the court. Nothing. Man, I missed Yao. It just doesn't feel the same as Dwight and even Harden somewhat feels like hired guns. Put it another way. If the Rockets win the championship this year, I would be excited for the Rockets for winning. But if Yao had won a championship here or anywhere else, I'd be happy for Yao that he won a title.

13. errpac

errpac Member

If refs called fouls for yao like harden gets, rockets would have three championships instead of two. Opposing teams complain of the rockets getting too much benefits from foul calls this season, I say its overdue from the foul calls yao didn't get back then.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

One of my all time favorite players.

DD

15. zdrav

zdrav Member

Thank you. You just proved my point about how different China and America are, and how different a Chinese national and an Asian American are.

It'd be like saying that Manute Bol and Grant Hill have had the same life experience and are representative of their demographics in the exact same way because they're both "Black."

I'm not saying that Rockets fans didn't embrace an Asian player in Yao. They did, but you have to respect the differences between a Chinese national and an Asian American. Otherwise, you're basically saying that all people with an Asian face are the same in terms of life experience, no matter where and how they grew up.

16. zdrav

zdrav Member

Nobody said Lin had it worse than Yao. What I'm saying is that Lin, due to his cultural upbringing in America, would've been more attuned to the American type of racial slights and slurs that Yao would've been unfamiliar with.

And that's what makes Lin different, and probably more relatable, than Yao (who's a great player and ambassador in his own right, but undoubtedly a foreigner).

17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Yao was a good player and a better person.

Glad to have had him.

18. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

Never could I imagine I would see a skimish between Lin fans and Yao fans one day...and here it is...

19. treeman

treeman Member

Isn'tit inevitable that a thread about Yao becomes a thread about Lin? And, almost certainly, a thread about imaginary racism?

20. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I miss Yao too. :(