1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SLAM] We Miss Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by freemaniam, Feb 14, 2014.

1. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

[rQUOTEr]We Miss Yao

Three years after injuries ended Yao Ming’s playing career, the Chinese trailblazer is at peace and as invested in the game as ever.

SLAM: If you, Tracy McGrady and all of the Rockets had been healthy in your prime, how good do you think you guys could’ve been?

Yao: First of all, there’s no such thing as “if”…I think we had our chance but we missed it. Whether we regret it or not, that is a fact, and we just need to learn from the experience and move on. Otherwise how can we go to teach kids: “Hey, you have to pull yourself together after this loss and move on,” you know?

...[/rQUOTEr]

remaining of the article can be found here

http://www.slamonline.com/online/the-magazine/features/2014/02/yao-ming-houston-rockets/#1

Chinese media has mentioned that Yao was invited to the ASG this year, not sure if true or not.

2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/u1ZyVAHLzAM?hl=en_GB&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/u1ZyVAHLzAM?hl=en_GB&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

3. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

What a quote by Yao. Reminds you why everyone loved him.

4. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

He's a legend. Unfortunate health issues.

5. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

When he walked back on the court in LA for that playoff game after getting hurt…that was…amazing. I miss this man.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think Yao is what changed me from a "Yeah, I live in Houston and like basketball, so I like the Rockets" kind of fan to a "I would sacrifice my first born for a Rockets title" kind of fan.

1 person likes this.
  7. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

I miss him so much :(

8. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Is that the one during the first game of the second round? If so, I agree. The moment they showed a clip of Yao trying to convince Keith Jones that he has to come back and finish the game and subsequently hitting a 20-footer was one of my proudest moments as a Rockets fan.

9. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

we would have won the title that year :(

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Come back Yao!!

11. sew

sew Member

the legend

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6jRXhj1PpFU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I will forever remember and love him for this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6jRXhj1PpFU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It gave me chills back when he did it, and I get chills watching it now.

13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Yao's size was only exceeded by the size of his heart. He was loyal, classy, smart, skilled, talented, courageous, and someone who gave it his all on the court. You will be missed big guy!

14. yummyhawtsauce

Would people here take Yao (if healthy) over Dwight today? What would the team look like

15. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Yao Ming was unstoppable in his prime.

16. qiantom1999

qiantom1999 Rookie

With penetrating guards like Harden and Lin, would fronting still work against Yao?

17. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, and a champion contender rather than a pretender. But there is no "IF" in real life just like what Yao said.

18. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Third greatest Rockets big man of all time. I was never as sad about sports than the day the news broke that he was retiring.

19. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Unless you fronted him.

20. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

seeing Yao draining long jumpers is a reminder of what Howard lacks. dont get me wrong i like Dwight but his lack of jumpshot hurts sometimes.
    And it' easy to forget how good yao was, thanks youtube... he was so dominant