1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SLAM]Scott Machado: Undrafted, But Not Forgotten

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by True Rocket, Jul 10, 2012.

1. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

2. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Sorry guys. I didnt think I needed to say it because he was only in college so far. LOL!

3. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

This guy definitely has a future as a pure passer. If we're going young, why not stick with him and see??

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The word "never" has a pretty distinct meaning. Every word after that is just hot air and rabid attempts at justification.

Here's the facts of it, captain statistics: .0001% chance > 0% chance. Therefore, if you can get Scott Machado on your summer league team, you might as well give it a shot. You just never know.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He can't be worse than Courtney Fortson...

6. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

We're not saying he's gonna start and be awesome. He has the potential to be second or third stringer. That's actually great with a guy will be making the minimum.

7. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Stache just got dunked on. Get ready to pony up the money, because Morey's eye for 2nd round talent can't be understated.

8. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I think your original post using the word "Never" is causing you significant problems. It would have been much better if you had used a word like improbable. Then you would have not had so many people jumping down your throat. "Never" is not a word I would personally use when describing left field on a probably curve.

And yes, I do understand statistics.

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I think it's fallacious to compare guys who look to always get their own shot to guys who can pass the ball for others to get a shot.

Machado is interesting because of (a) the assists (b) his 3 point shooting and (c) his size.
    He's got 3 out of 4 bases covered - unfortunately the thing that stands against him is his athleticism (or lack thereof). If he was a better lateral mover and defender then no doubts he would've been drafted.

Will he make it? No idea (in fact, doubtful). But heck, he's worth a summer league shot isn't he!

11. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Macahdo looks awful on defense. Not a very fluid athlete at all.

12. chapinha_br

chapinha_br Member

Have you ever heard of Ben Wallace? Raja Bell? Brad Miller? Johnny Starks? Jeremy Lin?

13. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Have you checked out Novak before Lin and after Lin? You mean in Novak's 5-6 years in the league nobody found a scheme to get him a good shot, it wasn't Lin?

Lin had a great 2 weeks, and a very good season overall.

Was he performing 'really poorly' right before he blew out his knee? In the last six games of his season (under Mike Woodson) Lin averaged on a per 36min basis 18ppts, 6.6 assists and 5 rebounds, with a TS% of 58.8% which is only below Steve Nash, Stephan Curry and Jordan Farmer (not a starter) amongst PGs last year.

Is that 'very poor'? Mr. STATISTICS?

#73 mike_lu, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  14. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Take issue with your words "NEVER" and "RIGHT" ...

If you replaced them with Undrafted Players 'Rarely' pan out ... and Statistically and historically, he is unlikely to make the roster on a guaranteed deal or unlikely to be much good ... then fine.

Otherwise, you just sound like a combination of Sigmund/Glen Rice and JCDenton.

15. yaofan07

yaofan07 Member

Look, you're right about the use of the word 'never' point as almost every argument can be picked apart if hyperbolic statements and common phrases are taken literally. However, your tone throughout this thread makes people want you to be wrong.

Machado's chances of being an impact player in this league are, I agree, astronomically low. However, our PG situation being as thin as it is gives him at least a shot. The article in the OP makes him sound like a good, tough kid, and how can you blame clutchfans for wanting to root for that.

So just tone down the condescending posts a little bit and let fans be fans. I know I'll be watching out for him in summer league games. :)

16. bigben69

bigben69 Member

You are funny. It seems the only one who doesn't get it is you. I bet you NEVER saw that coming. It is IMPROBABLE that you will like this response though. I don't even think he will make it. Just your generalization of every undrafted player is entertaining.

17. thejav

thejav Member

he will most likely be starting for us at one point in the season..

18. YaosDirtyStache

Since you all are a collective Nostradamus and can obviously see that I will be wrong, who will counter bet me?

My bet stands as this: Fully guaranteed contract for this season I will pony up 15 to the tipjar. There is a counter bet somewhere, so one of you MOF's (Machado Only Fans) step up to the plate and put money where your mouth is.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

All I can say is I'm very impressed both by his stats last season and by reports that he has gained speed and was impressive in workouts. I see an NBA future for him.

20. clos4life

clos4life Member

LOL, stache got embarrased! Never is too strong a word to use, he should learn the proper usage of rarely or statistically improbable vs. just straight up never. What a noob.

BTW, repped for the awesome pic.