1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SLAM] Q&A w/ Royce White

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BDswangHTX, Aug 23, 2012.

1. roxxy

roxxy Member

No problem.

2. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

I wish he didn't refer to his misdemeanor as "absolutely nothing".
    More correctly, its old news. He has learned and moved on.

Small detail, but important.

3. Nero

Nero Member

I am kind of secretly hoping this guy doesn't somehow turn out to be a ticking time bomb.

He's obviously very complex, and that is not a bad thing. But he clearly has more than his fair share of demons to battle, which means he has to be constantly diligent against them.

Slip up even one time..

I mean just one mess-up, it may not be pretty.

But we as a country, and especially in Houston, we love our underdog types who overcome obstacles and triumph in spite of them, so RW could become one of the most endearing sports figures in a long time.. as long as he keeps himself straight.

Oh and don't compare Artest to White.. Artest has the brain of an 8-year-old.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Like... build a winning team?

5. roksoer

roksoer Member

who are you to say? do you know him personally? he seems to be the chillest dude ever and is obviously smarter than most athletes

6. Nero

Nero Member

Don't get me wrong - I love the guy so far, and he is definitely someone I hope succeeds very well.

But the facts are, he has already committed a crime once (hopefully never again), and he has behavioral/mental 'issues' which, if they cause him a problem in the wrong situation, could become a very bad thing - say, oh, for example, having some kind of a freak-out episode on an airliner, having to be restrained and arrested by air marshalls and then brought into custody by the TSA.. I am not saying that would ever happen, all I am saying is that if something DOES occur with him in some way, it's going to end up being a national story and could have serious consequences for him.

Hence, the need to be diligent at all times. And he seems like a diligent guy with a good head on his shoulders, so here's hoping that in ten years we are all talking about what a great success he has been, both for himself and for this franchise.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He's pretty open about his anxiety disorder, and other disorders such as OCD, etc. He's managed to turn a negative to a positive with the awareness that he brings to these issues, but he admits that he still struggles today with his disorder.

-Im not sure if Nero was referring to the Winona Rider "disorder" that might or might not have caused him to steal a laptop in college, but I all reports are that this particular situation was not a reacurring issue. Thats probably what Nero was referring to but I cant speak for him personally.

Obviously Royce is trying to portray himself in a certain way that reflects a person that people can be inspired by, and can mean something to the world in a positive manner. All great things.

However, that being said, like many of the figures that Royce is molding his own image around (ie John Lennon), they all still have a very human side that could end up causing controversy at times.

When Morey drafted Royce, he knew he was taking in a guy who was going to command attention and the spotlight, also even off the court in various ways.

Im sure that Morey knows that with that spotlight also could come some controversy in the future. That seems like a risk they were willing to take in order to get the positive. Which right now is way larger than the potential negative. In the future, we will have to just wait and see.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Guys who are too smart may underachieve in the NBA. Guys who only loves ball and women do best!

9. moetherolla

moetherolla Member

I am more interested to know what position he is going to defend in the NBA and why not ask about dropping weight.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

A very good question. Situational SF/PF for the short term, probably?

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

LOL but probably true

12. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Well Nero, I guess we'll see. RW real important to you?