1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Slam]MAD NICE: Vernon Maxwell Was One Hell of a Hooper

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Apr 16, 2019.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I understand your sentiments, but I don't share them, man. The way I look at it, the Rockets grew over those years..persevering through those brutal outs against Seattle...building into the team that finally won it all. And Vernon played a huge part in this. Obviously, one of the greatest defensive players/athletes ever to lace em up when he wanted to be...shutting down MJ consistently (with the help D from Dream)..took it as a mano y mano deal every time. On O, Vernon was streaky from outside, but huge in the clutch...and could get to the hoop and finish on anyone..especially in motion..one of the fastest guys on the court with/without the ball.
    Mad Max was certainly Mercurial, and the source of that...the massive heart which drove him to incredible heights...including everything through our first title run....was also his Achilles Heel at times. It came with the package. Most of us understood that and still do. Besides, we won the second title.
    Seeing as Les has sold, with Tilman taking the reigns...I see nothing but love there.
    Vernon knows the game...and, not just the one on the court. : )
    If not here, somewhere...I see him adding major value.

#22 Plowman, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  3. JW86

JW86 Member

Well can’t Olajuwon or Lucas hook him up? Give him a chance

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maxwell giving back to the community in H-town

Plowman and Roc Paint like this.
  5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Vernon Maxwell is one of Houston’s finest

tinman likes this.
  6. tinman

Supporting Member

He's always showed love for the regular Houston folk, Vernon went to the same clubs and food places like Luby's as we did.

And all those 'Oh he can't guard Jordan, are a bunch of stupid Lil Xan looking kids who were sperm during that era.

7. Roc Paint

I’ve met him several times, and yes he locked Jordan’s ass down on many occasions

Hakeemtheking and tinman like this.
  8. tinman

Supporting Member

Some of us met him in Vegas and he was shocked and appreciative we were about the good old days.
    I told him that him dropping that 3 on Starks was the best moment in history.

Plowman and Roc Paint like this.
  9. Roc Paint

Was he drinking Heineken

10. Roc Paint

Vernon is a great dude with a gigantic heart

Plowman likes this.
  11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

12. Roc Paint

Our Clutchfans ;)

13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I get where you're coming from and all... and I will always appreciate the effort and tenacity that Max brought to that 1st championship squad and before... but he screwed us after the Drexler trade... He put himself ahead of the team at a very detrimental time - and could have cost us a championship.

It's like a past gf... she might've been the love of your life and you may always love her... but if she cheated on you - you cant have that in your life.

So I bear no resentment and have only love for Max... but I dont see what he brings to the table as something that cant be obtained elsewhere - without the history...

Disgruntled Maxwell Out for Year : Pro basketball: Slighted by backup role, Rocket guard put on indefinite leave of absence and won't return for playoffs.
    From Associated Press

The Houston Rockets placed Vernon Maxwell on an indefinite leave of absence Tuesday, saying the volatile guard wouldn't return to the court this season.

The team would not elaborate on why Maxwell was put on leave or say whether the guard will be paid for the rest of this season. Maxwell, who played only 16 minutes during Game 1 of the Rockets' first-round playoff series with Utah and missed Game 2, did not immediately return phone calls.

"We want only the best for Vernon, and we understand that this is in his best interest," Rockets Vice President Bob Weinhauer said.

Houston, attempting to defend its NBA title, is tied 1-1 in its best-of-five series with theJazz. They play tonight.

Maxwell argued with Coach Rudy Tomjanovich after Game 1 and complained of a hamstring pull Friday. He was sent back to Houston for treatment Saturday, just before the Rockets' 140-126 victory in Game 2.

Maxwell did not attend practice with the team either Monday or Tuesday, and the club said he was receiving treatment for the hamstring.

There has been widespread speculation, however, that Maxwell's injury was not severe enough to keep him away from practice. The Rockets have declined comment on Maxwell's health.

Maxwell has had problems both on and off the court since punching a fan in Portland in February. The NBA suspended him for 10 games, and before he returned, the Rockets traded forward Otis Thorpe to the Trail Blazers for guard Clyde Drexler.

Then last month, Maxwell and Rockets center Hakeem Olajuwon were diagnosed with iron-deficiency anemia. Both players missed eight games.

About that time, Maxwell began expressing his displeasure about losing his starting job to Drexler.

"In the back of my mind, I was frustrated," Maxwell said last month. "But I don't want to cause any more turmoil at this time. I just want to finish up the season and then just get out of here.

"I don't really consider myself being a guy to come off the bench. I feel like I've worked hard enough to get where I was."

"If I can't get out there as a starter, I would rather go to another team because I worked too hard to get where I was to be demoted like that."

With Maxwell gone, Houston will have to continue through the playoffs with only 11 players. NBA rules prohibit roster moves after postseason play begins.

Tomjanovich said Mario Elie was likely to get more playing time in Maxwell's off-guard spot beginning tonight against the Jazz at The Summit. Forward Carl Herrera is also expected back from a shoulder injury, freeing Elie to play more in the backcourt.

Tomjanovich said gauging the effect of Maxwell's absence isn't easy.

"Vernon hadn't shot the ball very well since coming back from the suspension," he said. "But he really, really works hard on defense, and when he came back I think our defense did pick up some."