1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft live right now -- come join us!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Slam Dunk contest with age limits?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Truth, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Truth

Truth Member

01/14/03

Branson Wright
    Plain Dealer Reporter

Dunking Davis wants in:

Cavs guard Ricky Davis was so intent on getting into the slam dunk contest during All-Star Weekend that he lobbied for himself.

"I called the league office," Davis said. "But they told me that they're not taking any players with more than three years experience. They [NBA] just don't want me to win it. I would've won it every year, with the exception of Vince Carter."

WTF is going on here? I mean putting an years limit on the participants? The NBA is out of line. Every year, one stupid idea to another, stick with the come one, come all old fashioned slam dunk contest!!!

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

The NBA is trying to ruin the the Slam Dunk contest. Only 4 competitors, last year was the stupid wheel of dunks thing, now the age limit. I really wanted to see Ricky Davis and I thought Kobe was interested in doing it again, or at least he was last year. Stupid ass NBA. . .

3. Truth

Truth Member

Monday, January 20

Richardson, Mason among four Slam Dunk participants

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SportsTicker

NEW YORK -- Jason Richardson, who capped a big day with a victory in last year's competition, headlines this year's field for the Rising Stars Slam Dunk Contest to be held on All-Star Saturday at Philips Arena in Atlanta.

Richardson won the Slam Dunk Contest last February in Philadelphia hours after earning MVP honors in the Rookie Challenge. This year, the Golden State guard will play for the Sophomores in the Rookie Challenge and try to defend his dunk title against 2001 champion Desmond Mason and first-timers Richard Jefferson and Amare Stoudemire.

Last year, Richardson knocked off Mason, a forward with the Seattle SuperSonics, en route to the title. Jefferson is a second-year forward with the New Jersey Nets while Stoudemire, a 20-year-old forward for the Phoenix Suns, is among the best of a talented 2002-03 rookie class.

The Slam Dunk Contest features $60,000 in prize money, with $25,000 going to the winner. Each participant is guaranteed at least $10,000.

All-Star Saturday also includes the shootout, hoop-it-up and the skills challenge.