1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SL Tribune]Jazz, Almond set to move on

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sooner423, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_10866122

Jazz, Almond set to move on

By Ross Siler

The Salt Lake Tribune
    Salt Lake Tribune

Article Launched:10/31/2008 05:39:35 PM MDT
    Posted: 4:34 PM-

Whether it was the Jazz's decision to match C.J. Miles' offer sheet from Oklahoma City this summer or exercise an option in Ronnie Brewer's contract - but not his - before the start of training camp, Morris Almond could see this day coming.
    That didn't make what happened Friday any less stunning: The Jazz took the first step in cutting ties with their 2007 first-round draft pick, declining a $1.157 million option to bring back Almond for the 2009-10 season.
    "You kind of wonder, 'What could I have done better?' or 'Where'd things go wrong?' but it never really took off in the first place," Almond said.
    Almond will become an unrestricted free agent after this season, but is likely to leave the Jazz sooner. He learned of the decision from general manager Kevin O'Connor earlier this week and said trade talks already were underway.
    Almond set scoring records in the NBA Development League, where he spent the bulk of his rookie season, but the Jazz decided he wasn't in their future plans after watching him play in nine games for a total of 39 minutes and score 13 points.
    "His goal is to get on the court, whether it's Utah or someplace else," said Lon Babby, Almond's agent, adding, "I think people like him and think he's going to be a solid NBA player, he just has to get the chance to play."
    In the end, Almond was caught in a roster crunch. For the second consecutive season, the Jazz were left with three shooting guards age 23 or younger - Almond, Brewer and Miles - and not enough minutes to go around.
    "They said it's kind of like a numbers game," Almond said. "Something had to give, and this is the start of that."
    O'Connor declined to comment on the decision, which the Jazz were facing a Friday deadline to make.
    Jazz Coach Jerry Sloan has stressed the need for Almond to be more than a one-dimensional scorer almost from the day he arrived and did so again Friday.
    "Everybody's graded on the number of points they score," Sloan said, "but there are a lot of valuable players in this league that don't score as many points but they do other things."
    Almond didn't want to speculate on a trade destination, but San Antonio and Detroit expressed the most interest in him before the draft. Almond worked out twice for the Spurs and was convinced they were going to draft him after a dinner with coach Gregg Popovich.
    Only a handful of recent first-round draft picks have had their third-year options declined, with Almond joining Golden State's Patrick O'Bryant, Cleveland's Shannon Brown, the L.A. Clippers' Yaroslav Korolev and Denver's Julius Hodge.
    "Going into the draft," Almond said, "it's like you're so stuck on being a first-round pick, but in the end you want to go to the team where it's the best fit. If you're a late first-round pick, you go to a good team, and that's just kind of the price you pay for that."
    The Jazz believed they had filled their biggest need for a shooter when they drafted Almond with the No. 25 pick out of Rice. Almost from the start, however, there were questions about how the Jazz would find playing time for Almond, Miles and Brewer.
    Almond saw so little action with the Jazz last season, he didn't score his first NBA points until January. With the D-League's Utah Flash, Almond scored 51 points in one game, 53 in another, and still struggled to earn a ticket back to the Jazz.
    Some viewed Almond as insurance in case Miles left either of the last two summers. The Jazz now face pressure to get something in return for Almond, while Almond acknowledged the urgency to prove he belongs in the NBA.
    "Last year, I was just happy to be here," Almond said. "You're happy to be with a team and part of a franchise, but going into your second year, it's kind of time to get your career started and make a mark in this league."
    Even as they work to trade Almond, the Jazz might have to count on him off the bench. Almond was on the active roster for Wednesday's opener and likely will be there until Matt Harpring returns from an ankle infection.
    "The key is to keep playing," Almond said.
    There also is no guarantee the Jazz will have a 2009 first-round draft pick. Unless their pick is in the top 22, the Jazz will have to give it up to complete the Kyle Korver trade.
    Asked if he was disappointed things didn't go better in Utah, Almond said: "It's a good organization. I've kind of got to play the hand I was dealt. I came to a good team and I did my best, so we'll go from there."

rsiler@sltrib.com

----------------------------------

If I remember correctly, the Rockets were interested in him during the draft. Maybe Morey can work a little magic here.

2. Pocket Rockets

Why? What for?

3. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Luther? I don't know. I think he's a nice backup wing with some size.

4. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

His better than wafer.

5. cdastros

cdastros Member

The Rockets don't have minutes for him. He needs to go to a bad team so he can get on the floor.

6. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

It's actually an interesting thought on Luther. He could have a place in Utah next to good friend Deron and he puts another guard who can spread the floor and cut into an offense he would probably be fantastic at. He wouldn't have less problems on defense because he would be playing with Deron.

The salaries are a bit different though aren't they. I would think that it would decrease our total payroll, I believe Luther makes more than a mil.

It's an intriguing thought for the Rockets though. We don't need Almond, but we can stash him at the end of the bench or back in the dleague.

7. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

just can't hate Luther enough to wish the Jazz on him ...

besides they already have a glut at SG.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

I remember many fans were pissed that the Jazz took him before us. Goes to show you that late 1st rounders are very hit-or-miss.

Of course, it does suck that Portland got Rudy Fernandez over us though.

9. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Ron, Tracy, Shane, Brent

I think we're safe at the wings. No need for him.

10. JVGFAN

JVGFAN Member

He's always seemed like a prolific scorer, even at Rice. Not sure what the knock is on him. I don't want to trade Luther to the Jazz for him, cause I know that fool will go brad Lidge on us in the playoffs and actually start hitting 3's.

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Brent is only going to be here for 2 years, he's 36. It would be nice to have a young long term project wing, Head is definitely not that.

12. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Almond would look a lot better if the NBA starting using CUSA refs. They took care of him in college.

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Glad to hear the Jazz wasted a first-round pick. Here's hoping their Okur-esque class of '09 is equally inept.

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

LOL this post is trash

If you think that Rice's basketball reputation pulls any favorable treatment from the refs, then you must either be a coogfan or a moron, or both

Almond can staight up score

15. xishi

xishi Member

he's young, can score, good size. lets get him!

16. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

I see Nellie ball writing all over him.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You guys have always loved Almond. Its just Rice guys, get over it. Hes not special just because you saw him play. Oh and broke a few scoring records lol.

18. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Yeah you are right, I didn't think much past the idea of finding another place for him.

I actually like Luther. He's not as bad as everyone here wants to believe he is. He just needs the right fit to be useful.

19. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

Looks like Morey just owned the jazz. Both of our draft picks from that year have just been extended.

"We chose.......wisely"