1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SJWs gets their talons into Bond franchise

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dachuda86, Jul 17, 2019.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's all great but the female character isn't going to be playing James Bond. Is it possible it will be a spin-off movie franchise in the same universe?

jcf likes this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

90% of people who watch Bond movies don't know this, and don't care about this. It is not essential to his character in the film series. Bond has been redefined over and over in ways that did not get the Ian Fleming stamp of approval.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

dunno. It all looks about as interesting as the wnba.

BruceAndre likes this.
  4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Yeah it is directly shown in one of the most recent movies....so maybe pick a lower number.

5. durvasa

One of the most recent movies — how many people knew or cared about this before watching that particular movie? My point stands.

6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Cant believe yall have been arguing about this for 10 pages. Who cares? Who even watches movies/Hollywood anymore?

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cowboys are part of white culture. And you could argue that casting a black woman as a famous cowboy or gunslinger would be cultural appropriation. But James Bond is a big stretch.

I will ignore your personal attacks except to say that if you think I am a SJW then you are truly lost.

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I heard about the decision. I thought it was the funniest joke since women's basketball.

dachuda86 likes this.
  9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

And the ERA! Amirite?

biff17 likes this.
  10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I like your last question. lol

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Eh bond is scottish... my point stands...check mate

BruceAndre likes this.
  12. durvasa

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bond_(literary_character)#Background

It was not until the penultimate novel, You Only Live Twice, that Fleming gave Bond a sense of family background, using a fictional obituary, purportedly from The Times.[35] The book was the first to be written after the release of Dr. No in cinemas and Sean Connery's depiction of Bond affected Fleming's interpretation of the character.[36] The novel reveals Bond is the son of a Scottish father, Andrew Bond, of Glencoe, and a Swiss mother, Monique Delacroix, of the Canton de Vaud.[37] The young James Bond spends much of his early life abroad, becoming multilingual in German and French because of his father's work as a Vickers armaments company representative. Bond is orphaned at the age of 11 when his parents are killed in a mountain climbing accident in the Aiguilles Rouges near Chamonix.​

So Ian Fleming decided to give his Bond a Scottish Dad in his second to last book after seeing Connery’s performance in Dr. No, and I’m supposed to take away from this that every Bond film must accordingly portray him as a white Scottish man? Bond filmgoers don’t care about this.

The Ian Fleming James Bond is not the same James Bond as the various Bond portrayals from the movies. You are choosing to fixate on a detail introduced in one of a Flemings’ later books regarding Bond’s background. It is not essential. The movies have never been fully consistent with the books, or even each other.

A movie version that attempts to be true to the Fleming character might be interesting, but it would need to take place in a different time because his portrayal of Bond doesn’t work today.

13. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Caution: a number of curse words dropped in this one:

14. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Those of us who don't like seeing our favorite characters sacrificed to the high priestess of political correctness.

Increasingly fewer and fewer people.

Astrodome likes this.
  15. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

When and how did I ever attack you? But I forget, SJWs and PCers are always "attacked"; thus their demand for "social justice" and "reparations."

I am not lost, and you are an SJW who sees racial injustice in everything.

16. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Yes

17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Eh, you're doing some really stretching there. It's Flemming's character bro and you are ignoring the actual details he created and the work he put into it. We should respect the man's legacy and try to at least portray his central character the way he created it. Anything else is just pissing on his grave.

You're kind of reminding me of that Starburst commercial about the Scot-Koreans. It's funny because it's odd and out of place.

Cohete Rojo likes this.
  18. durvasa

Why aren’t you complaining about Bond not being a chain smoker or a WW2 veteran in these movies? Why is it his white heritage, in particular, that is so important to you?

You don’t have to answer the question if you don’t want to. I know the answer.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, you just did. You have attempted to insult my intelligence at numerous points. Fortunately, I do not take offense from your pathetic attempts to troll. I'll show you some of your personal attacks. Frankly, I don't care - you can throw insults all you want. But I will point them out so you can become a more self-aware individual. You can thank me later in your life hopefully.

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Why do advocate so hard to cast a Scottish character with a black person? You don’t have to answer the question if you don’t want to. I know the answer.