1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sixers assistant coach with a scouting report on the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GoRockets!, Jan 12, 2013.

1. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

4 people like this.
  2. roxxy

roxxy Member

Really good find. Thanks for this. Team has to win this game. We play the Clippers next & we are going to get our asses beat by them so can't afford 4 game loosing streak.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for posting this -- I split it out into a separate thread because it's pretty interesting.

Even though it makes sense, it's interesting to hear how they teach their players to guard Harden -- arms straight up. If you hold them out to your sides, you're toast.

4. holly1985

holly1985 Member

Will we run multiply screens for harden and lin as he said?

5. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

I remmeber yesterday watching the game, their was a point in the game where Harden picked up his dribble with about 10 seconds left on shot clock, and the Celtics left Asik and Lin wideopen. Harden couldnt choose which worse of a shooter to pass the ball the ball too, so threw a risky pass to Parsons that flew out of bounds.

I notice the Rockets have too many players on the court who cant shoot at the same time... Lin, and Asik. Which allow the opposing team to collaspe on James Harden forcing him to hold the ball too long. Hell even Parsons throws up a few wide open bricks from time to time

6. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I confess to also not knowing how to pronounce Asik.

7. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

Pointless to blame your teammates for your TOs.:mad:
    Sometimes James is out there clueless how to split the double team, until it is too late to pass. Trapped with TOs --> easy basketball for the other team.

8. Just Ballin

Just Ballin Member

Poor Delfino. No love for him.

Lin's been shooting much better lately. Harden should be passing to the highest percentage shot opportunity available rather than risking a bad pass or getting trapped. Also would be great if he moved off the ball more.

1 person likes this.
  9. Bohdi

Bohdi Member

Doesnt the Rocks play some combo of Delfino, TD, Patterson, Morris to help space the floor? I love when they play small ball with 3 guards. By can't shoot do you mean shooting in general or 3pt? becuase lumping Lin and Asik together doesnt make sense thats apples and oranges. Lin is 45% shooter Asik a 62% shooter...thats not bad. TD is 41% 3pt shooter, Delphino a 36% 3 pt sooter and CP, PPat and MMoris are all around the 34% mark. The games we have lost it was due to poor rebounding and really poor 3pt shooting way below those guys averages. That makes it tough to space the floor, the lanes the last two games where clogged up ALL the time. Cheers.

10. Akim523

Akim523 Member

No it was Harden being dumb. Lin is the better shooter of said two.

11. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

Thanks Clutch for making it my first thread. :)

About how to use arms to guard Harden, yeah, that's very hard. Philly's coach is not the first one to mention that Harden likes to sticks his arms under opposing defenders arms to draw fouls. A couple of other teams commentators also mentioned about this unique style of Harden's driving to the basket. That's why Mike Breen said during games that Harden is one of the only 5 players in the league that's undefendable. :p

Another interesting thing I found from Phily's coach talking about our offense is that we use multiple screens, about 45-50 times. Really? :eek: I never knew we used that much? It sure never seemed that way watching those games. Lacking screens is the main topic that fans often talk about here. I need to pay attention to this tonight. ;)

12. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I wish we would run 'multiple screens, 40-50 times a game'

Yesterday against Boston we ran hardly any screens, too many Iso plays and not enough ball movement...when we did use the screens, Pick'n'rolls & then Swing the ball side to side we went on that big run in the 3rd.

Another thing, everyone in the league is complimentary of our team, to the point of wanting to emulate our style. They give credit where credit is due, realising that this team, which is the least experienced and 2nd youngest, is leading the League in scoring, has a 21-16 record in the Western Conference and has lethal weapons in the Backcourt.

We here Clutchfans, on the other hand, aren't satisfied with solid performances from our young guys, and are especially tough on Lin. He could go 11-20 from the field grab 7 boards and dish out 9 assists but most will focus on the 9 shots he missed or his turnovers.

We are also very harsh on our big guys, there has never been another Olajuwon. Yes I agree that Asik should Dunk more instead of trying do those reverse layups and Scola scoops...but he is still a young guy starting for the first time!

Can you imagine when the team actually gels together, has played a full season & pre-season together?
    Can you imagine the possibilities when we get the turnovers under control, when Asik starts catching those passes in the post, when Lin & Harden get multiple screens called for them?

I'm excited for the future of the franchise, and enjoying the ride this season. Yes I hate the losing but who doesn't?

2 people like this.
  13. roxxy

roxxy Member

Great post. And I agree on the 40-50 screens a game. I was like what is the Philly coach seeing that I don't see.

14. Bohdi

Bohdi Member

great post! Rep'ed!

15. jbasket

jbasket Member

It's really interesting that the coach kind of deferred from the questions about the Rocket's defence. When asked, he talked about Asik, but then started rambling on about how Morris, Smith, and PPat can get their shots on the offensive end, switching the topic.

16. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

He still remembers how Lin used the picks to win game in Philly last season as a Knicks, and that's why he's saying that.

When Harden is off the court at the beginning of the second quarter, I didn't see any pick set for Lin...