1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Six Game Win Streak: When was the last time?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Smashingworth, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Smashingworth

Smashingworth Member

In the past 5 years, I honestly can't remember a 6 game streak. It seemed like we always had at least one 5 game streak, but never got over the hump.
    Anybody here know?

2. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

jan 13-23 , 2000.

3. Smashingworth

Smashingworth Member

So it was 5 years. No wonder I missed that one ... I was spending my college semester in Ireland.

4. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

How far back is it till 7?

5. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

they had a 9 game winning streak back in the lockout shorten '99 season, 1997-98 season, and 1996-1997 season.

http://www.clutchfans.net/games_box_listings.cfm?BoxSeason=1997

Damn, looking back at the 1996-1997 season, we dominated the league with 3 aging superstars and a bunch of scrubs and had injury issues with all 3 of our superstars. We went 57-25 and started out 21-3. Wonder how that is compared to the Suns and Sonics this year. But, Stockton and his recently retired sidekick had to ruin our season. :(

Looking back at that one season, the Barkley trade was well worth it for me. :D

EDIT: Suns went 21-3 and Sonics went 19-6 after 24 games this season.

#5 Dave2000, Feb 12, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  6. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Didn't we started one season with a 14 win streak which is still a league record right now?

7. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

15 win streak, back in the 1993-94 season

Dallas was close to it 2 seasons ago, but stopped at 13/14 i believe.

#7 Dave2000, Feb 12, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  8. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I remember being very relieved that the Mavs didn't break the Rockets' record.

It will be interesting to see how the Rockets do the rest of the way and how much of the core is preserved in the off-season.

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Rockets first title run was 15-0, 22-1. Loss was to Atlanta on a back-to-back where there was a problem with the planes, think the players barely slept. The first Barkley year was a 21-2 start, IIRC. Both teams fell off, to 58 and 57 wins respectively.

10. sccdct34

sccdct34 Member

The Loss was to Portland in Portland.. still have the game on tape somewhere

11. sccdct34

sccdct34 Member

nevermind Sam.your right i must be thinking of a different streak.

12. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

yeah loss to atlanta after what was considered a huge meeting with the knicks the night before. 15-0 tied for the best start ever. then faced up with the sonics when we were 22-1 and they were, i believe, 21-2 and they were the best records to ever matchup that far into a season. we lost to fall one game short of the best record with one loss, 23-1. mavericks lost after 14-0. awesome to see it stopped right at the doorstep of overtaking us.

with barkley, after starting 21-2, didn't we lose 4 games in a row then? seems like someone got injured around that time and i think Email (who was huge with his defense and 3 pt shooting) had already been lost for the season. i think that team was 32-8 when all of the big 3 played, which is a 66 win season. damn spazz.

13. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I think the first year with Barkley, we had so many injuries that when Hakeem, Clyde and Barkley were healthy together was only like 40 something games before playoffs. I honestly think we could've won against the Jazz if we had them together just a little longer and have a little chemistry.

Those were the days when the game was close, you know that some one was gonna hit the game winner for us, whehter it was EJ, Elie, etc etc. As much as I like Steve, and as clutch as he was for us, that feeling just wasn't there last year. This year, Sura, T - Mac, Padgett and Yao etc are all stepping up in the crunch. I'm starting to get that feeling again :p

14. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

You said it bro. During the mid-90's you just watched that Rockets' team knowing they were going to pull out the win regardless of the opposition. Do you remeber how automatic Hakeem was in the last half of the fourth quarter. There hasn't been a player in the last 5+ years on this team that you just knew was going to get the job done a high percentage of the time when it counted most. Damn I miss that team.

15. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

So cool to even be having a conversations that involes the words 'Rockets' and 'winning streak'.

16. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

When will be the next time? I surely hope it won't be long. :)

17. RAYRAY

RAYRAY Member

I don't know if any of you guys remember that a couple of years ago when you came into this site, you were able to get the audio from the game when Eddie Johnson hit the game winning 3 pointer against the Jazz.

"Eddie at the buzzer.....YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!"

Can anybody find the audio from that game??

18. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

sccdct34,

I believe you are referring to the ending of the Rockets 15 game win streak in the 92-93 season. We lost in Portland 106-98 in OT.

do you really have that game on tape? I'd be interested in trading for a copy.

#18 JBIIRockets, Feb 13, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  19. haven

haven Member

We're finally a good team. The past few seasons we've been a talented team that plays well sometimes. I would say that we might be a very good team next year, except for my fear that we're going to decline due to aging of the role players.

20. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

that and i wonder how long we can keep this chemistry up. obviously, it could last forever, and i have no reason to think it will stop, but right now we have a lot of people coming from bad teams (or little playing time like padgett) who are probably really enjoying this. when winning starts to beome routine, touches and minutes concerns might start to seep in (kind of like when having a solid role became routine for jj he got a little too comfortable stepping outside of his role and taking more than his fair share of shots). but hopefully, we just add on a little youth and the pieces stay and continue to fit. man i want stromile swift for this team.