1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI's Sam Amick] New School/Old School Disconnect Drove Adelman's Exit

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Apr 18, 2011.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Yup that climate is changing around here.

We are currently at the part of the Dumb and Dumber quote where he says "Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this..."

We'll see if there is any redeeming to be done.

2. Karlfranklin

Karlfranklin Member

That's just beyond stupid, stupid, stupid.

keep your mouth shut even if you plan to play him so much and let everybody else guess.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

This post doesn't make any sense to me.

The minutes cap came from the doctors recommendation. And it wasn't about averaging 24 mpg. It was don't let him exceed 24 minutes because his body probably can't take it. If Adelman had a problem with that, he had the right as coach to not play Yao at all. That would have been his call.

And I don't know how limiting his minutes could contribute to him getting injured. The way it played out, that shows the Rockets were right to put a strict limit on his playing time. Playing him more minutes would only have increased the probability of him getting injured sooner.

4. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

I haven't posted in GARM in ages. I've long rested my case about Morey, Lowry etc.

5. seeingred

seeingred Member

well the upshot is, after kevin martin's complaint about players being treated like assets and rick adelman's firing... i am sure marquee free agents and talented coaches will be beating down our door this summer. who wouldn't want to play/coach for morey now... ?

ahem.

6. PeppermintCandy

From the article:

Hmm, I wonder which of the coaching candidates regularly attend Morey's conference?

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

None of them. The conference happens in March every year, during the NBA season. Coaches are working.

One guy who was there: Jeff Van Gundy.

8. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Idle speculation: I think this move had more to do with where this team is headed than Adelman's coaching/disconnect with Morey this past season. I'm guessing that the Rockets are more than willing to package their pick + KMart if they can get into the top-5 of the draft this season, and are also looking to part ways with Scola if they can get value in return. Beyond that, the Rockets are not in a position to sit still with the guys they have; they are likely to be active again this offseason.

I can easily see RA not being on board with those moves (as well as a variety of others), and at this stage of his career, its understandable why he wouldnt want to dismantle a competitive team.....

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Rick the ruler has how many rings again?

I don't know about anyone else, but for me I've found myself agreeing with DM on majority of his moves, the Melo debacle notwithstanding. To me, the last 5 years are far more proven than RA's 2 years, his long HOF career doesn't really have much to do with the here and now.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If this report is accurate, it's doubly sad.

What would Mr. Numba Krunch need more than a real grizzled basketball guy, gym rat to make all the pieces work?! It could have been a perfect marriage, but at some level, I believe Morey really believes he knows basketball better than he really does.

Ah well. I want to see the canonical Morey photograph with FAIL written on it.

11. thekad

thekad Member

Adelman played no-stat all-stars like Battier, Hayes and Morey favorites like Martin and Lowry big minutes. I don't think that came down from the FO.

I sincerely doubt a new/old-school disconnect. It just came down to Les being bored and antsy.

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Well maybe we get a coach that will implement Morey ball.

13. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What did Leebigez hear?

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Ming and McGrady have made it impossible to tell if "Moreyball" is for real.

With those two pretty much out of the picture, and a new coach coming in that will have to subscribe to Daryl's philosophy, we're about to see what Morey is really made of.

It's judgment day for Dork Elvis. Get your pitchforks and/or champagne ready.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

true. with tmac gone, and now yao's contract ending, we can see what DM can do with a clean slate... that is, of course, only if les doesn't demand yao to be resigned.

also, maybe the correct direction is to break things down a bit and rebuild. if morey makes a move for the future rather than the present i think people will see it as a bad move and call for his head. its easy for a GM to do a good job when the team is starting from the bottom up, like presti with the thunder. the team started bad, he made moves to get better while building around a star.

morey will have to make a move or two to get worse. he will have to break the team down in order to build it back up. with all of the adelman supporters hating him right now, i think he has a very difficult task ahead. he will do the right thing, but people will be jumping off the bandwagon here.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

17. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Morey probably wanted to take a high-risk development/tank strategy to give us a chance at championship contention a couple years down. Adelman, like virtually every coach in the league, doesn't like to lose. JVG said something relevant when he was in trouble here. I believe it was "losing gets coaches fired" or something like that. That was when people were giving him hell for not playing VSpan.

18. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

I'm not happy about seeing RA go, I think he got more out of this team than any currently available coach would have, IMHO.

I really hope what seeingred said isn't the case, seeing how Houston has already had problems luring free agents here.

19. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Wow! Never thought I'd see that one. LMAO!

Look I NEVER Morey as a GOD, but we should wait & see. If Morey goes into FULL rebuilding mode then he's FINALLY chosen a direction (rebuilding) & will need time build through the draft (his strong suit). Waiting for this dream trade for a superstar was kind of silly from the beginning & never should've been the primary plan. People should stop this Morey worship and realize that he's still learning how to run a franchise. Not a bad GM but not a basketball genius either.

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

LOL people act like marquee free agents are have been lining up to get to Houston before all this. The last "star" type player that publicly made it known that he wanted to play in Houston was....wait for it....Tmac. Which was a LONG time ago.