1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sirius XM to Buy Pandora

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

As a longtime Pandora listener that listens for hours a day with 100 curated stations, not sure how this is going to shake out. I do pay for their plus service for higher quality music and no ads. (I know, Spotify/whatever other service is better, blah blah blah)

Sirius to Acquire Pandora in $3.5 Billion Online Radio Deal

September 24, 2018, 6:14 AM CDT Updated on September 24, 2018, 9:13 AM CDT

• All-stock combination values Pandora at $10.14 a share

• Acquisition helps Sirius expand beyond its in-car audienc

Sirius Buying Pandora in $3.5 Billion All-Stock Deal

Billionaire John Malone’s Sirius XM Holdings Inc. is acquiring Pandora Media Inc. in a $3.5 billion all-stock deal, giving the satellite-radio operator an online-music service to better compete with Spotify Technology SA.

The combination will help Sirius XM expand beyond an audience that mainly listens to the satellite radio company’s programs while driving. Sirius XM bought a stake in Pandora last year for $480 million, giving the online-radio company a lifeline after upstarts such as Spotify began luring away streaming-music subscribers.

The all-stock deal values Pandora at $10.14 a share. It’s 12 percent more than the closing price on Friday, but way below levels of four years ago, before the stock tanked as competition from Spotify and Apple Music intensified. Matthew Thornton, an analyst at SunTrust Banks Inc., called the price “underwhelming,” and Pandora opened under $10 on Monday.

On a conference call with analysts, Pandora and Sirius XM offered little detail about how they will work together after the merger. Asked about his plan for the combined company, Sirius XM Chief Executive Officer Jim Meyer summarized it this way:

“There’s real money to be made by optimizing cross promotion across these platforms,” he said. “That’s, if you want to know, what my gut tells me, that’s where I see the biggest opportunity.”

Malone has been working to build a radio empire, complimenting the pay TV assets that helped him build his fortune. Sirius XM already has a 15 percent stake in Oakland, California-based Pandora. And Malone’s Liberty Media had also expressed interest in acquiring iHeart Media Inc., the U.S. radio broadcaster that filed for bankruptcy earlier this year.

Click here to see John Malone’s sprawling investments

[​IMG]
    Pandora jumped 6.2 percent to $9.66 at 9:34 a.m. in New York. Sirius XM fell 3.4 percent to $6.74.

Sirius XM is buying a company that has recorded years of losses. Pandora’s shares fell for years in the face of competition from Spotify and other online services. The stock had begun to recover this year under a new CEO, gaining 89 percent through Friday’s close, after Pandora introduced new listening options and showed it could attract subscribers. At the close of the second quarter, the company had about 6 million paying customers.

Pandora has introduced its own on-demand music service and brought in former Sling TV Chief Executive Officer Roger Lynch a year ago to work on a turnaround.

Sirius XM and Pandora said the transaction is expected to be completed in the first quarter of next year. The deal allows Pandora to look around for better offers. If Pandora takes a superior proposal from another acquirer, the company would owe Sirius a $52.5 million breakup fee. If the deal fails for other reasons, the break-up fee is $105 million.

Allen & Co. and Bank of America Corp. advised Sirius XM, while Baker Botts LLP and Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP provided legal advice. Centerview Partners LLC, LionTree Advisors LLC and Morgan Stanley advised Pandora, and Sidley Austin LLP was its legal counsel.

No Worries likes this.
  2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

How SiriusXM’s Purchase of Pandora Could Change the Balance of Power in the Music Industry

By APRIL GLASER

SEPT 24, 20183:21 PM
    What does this mean for artists, though?
    Jeff Schear/Getty Images
    SiriusXM, the digital radio platform with more than 36 million subscribers, announced on Monday that it plans to buy Pandora, which, with its nearly 75 million active listeners, remains one of the largest streaming music companies in the business. The $3.5 billion deal would create what the company says will be the largest audio entertainment corporation in the world.

While Pandora isn’t usually mentioned in the same breath as Spotify and Apple Music anymore, SiriusXM has been eyeing it for a while, presumably because it fears losing its edge in an industry being transformed by on-demand music streaming and podcasts. Last year, Sirius paid $480 million for 19 percent of Pandora’s stock, a deal soon followed by the ouster of Pandora co-founder and CEO Tim Westergren. The company, which has struggled as advertisers and listeners have migrated to other streaming services, continued hemorrhaging a tremendous amount of money. Pandora lost $221 million in the first half of this year.

Unlike its competitors, Pandora operates primarily by sending songs to listeners based on suggestions generated from an algorithm, rather than letting users pick individual songs. In one way or another, all three platforms do a lot of recommending to their listeners, which inevitably invites scrutiny of how they do it. Pandora’s particularly opaque style of curation gives it even more leeway to potentially guide listeners to the songs that are most advantageous to the platform due to its deals with music publishers. Spotify and Apple Music are also able to offer preferential treatment to certain songs and artists thorough playlists and their radio stations, though the gatekeeping isn’t as severe. Still, as music listening further consolidates within the walled gardens of these services, the ways these companies chose to leverage their audiences will continue to help shape which artists are able to succeed in the music and radio business.

This isn’t an out-there fear. In 2008, when Sirius merged with XM, another satellite radio company, federal regulators made the two companies agree to a series of conditions before approving the deal in order to avoid too much consolidation in the space. Those conditions, which only lasted for three years, included a provision that a percentage of the new company’s channels go to noncommercial and minority broadcasters. In 2016, long after those conditions expired, SiriusXM stopped broadcasting eight of its 10 Latin music stations.

“Musicians have experienced ownership consolidation in almost every part of their business for the past 25 years,” said Kevin Erickson, director of the Future of Music Coalition, a think tank that works on music-business issues. “It’s very hard for us to find instances where that consolidation has worked out for the benefit for musicians or listeners, and we hope that regulators look at this closely.”

Music streaming platforms are increasingly flexing their power in ways that could become alarming down the road. Last week, Spotify unveiled a new feature that allows artists to upload their music directly to Spotify and access Spotify’s 83 million paid subscribers, for free, in the vein of SoundCloud. At the moment, the feature is only available to “few hundred U.S.-based independent artists,” but plans to expand beyond that are imminent. While Spotify opening its platform for artist uploads is certainly a boon for musicians looking to gain a larger audience, it’s also a way for Spotify to bypass labels or other music aggregators and potentially pay artists less for the music they provide. Right now, getting on Spotify typically requires deal-making via a label or via the help of an aggregator service, like CD Baby or TuneCore, which represent various catalogs of musicians and negotiates with music streaming services on their behalf.

Those services weren’t exactly middlemen. They provided collective-bargaining power and ways for independent musicians to negotiate better terms. By carving out a new path for artists to upload directly, Spotify isn’t simply mimicking SoundCloud in an effort to quash competition, it’s also inviting artists to deal with the company directly and alone. If this system becomes the new norm, “Only artists on the individual level may have the ability to even be at the table,” said Erickson.

Does a hybrid Sirius-Pandora augur the kind of industry consolidation artists should fear—or could it lead to a healthier market if it is able to rival Apple Music and Spotify? “The music industry as a whole has become deeply dependent on revenues from Spotify and Apple Music,” said David Lowery, a music business lecturer at Georgia University (and founder of the bands Camper Van Beethoven and Cracker). “The financial stabilization of Pandora as a third streaming option is probably positive to artists.”

Yet there are reasons the merger should not comfort working artists, either. Liberty Media, the holding company that owns Sirius XM, is also a major shareholder in Live Nation, which merged with Ticketmaster in 2010. Greg Maffei, the CEO of Liberty Media, is currently the chairman of Pandora, Sirius XM, and Live Nation Entertainment. The deal “effectively brings these three companies together,” Lowery said. “This could be anti-competitive in the concert industry—or not. For instance, my bands enjoy significant SiriusXM play. Cross-promotion could enhance revenues of many midtier artists. But honestly that’s an unknown.”

3. Fantasma Negro

As an active daily listener I just want to keep Pandora free. I don't give a **** if they add more commercials, as long as they throw in more free hours of music for consistent listening

4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

one dead company purchasing another. i wonder if yahoo will want to get involved.

tmoney1101 and Sajan like this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like Pandora. I use it to explore new artists. I also like some stations on Sirius. But with Pandora, I can forward songs and give the approve or disapprove option.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

how does sirius xm have $3.5 billion to spend anyway.

Sajan likes this.
  7. Sajan

Sajan Member

probably because they don't invest in their sh*** product.
    it's like listening to your songs underwater. garbled crap.
    spotify premium is all i need.

8. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I have Sirius in a couple of my cars and love it...well, compared to terrestrial radio. It's not perfect by any stretch, but they do offer enough different listening options that I eventually find something I like.

I do have to finagle with them every five months to get my service at $5/month.

9. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Who’s buying what now?