1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SinaRumor] Yao wants a 6-yr contract but Morey only gives 4

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mms, May 18, 2010.

1. choujie

choujie Member

Not saying this is a credible rumor, but I feel Sina has a better track record than ESPN when it comes to Yao's rumors.

2. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

In the end it's all business. We sent Dream to Canada. We gave a fat contract to Cato over a summer league game. The Rockets will try to sign Yao with as little money as possible while Yao will try to get as big a contract as possible.

It's very simple. If there's another team offer a contract that the Rockets do not want to match, Yao will leave.

3. parmesh

parmesh Member

Pull a Tim Duncan and re-sign for less money? One can hope.

4. choujie

choujie Member

This season has proved Rockets is a much worse team without Yao. So it is about winning too.

Only question mark is can Yao's body hold up.

1 person likes this.
  5. choujie

choujie Member

Other team can only offer a max of 5 years with a smaller increase than Rox can offer I think? That's still better than 4 years though.

6. abc2007

abc2007 Member

So, I guess Yao will get a 5-yr contract from either rockets or another team.

7. choujie

choujie Member

It could happen, maybe with a team option for 5th and/or 6th year.

8. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

4 years is too long

9. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

It's all about business and market value. If yao's healthy, every team would like to sign him to 6-7 year max deal. He's actually worth more than those max deals on the market if healthy.

Now since he's not healthy, all sides have to evaluate and bargain.

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

They won 42 games without yao and his backup. I can use alot of ifs, but in the past they won without yao because deke could replace his defense and rebounding and tracy and other picked up his scoring. Going from yao to deke to hayes is a huge fall off defensively which where the rockets failed. If they hada gortat type player, they win 50 games.

11. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

If I was structuring a "fair" deal for all parties, it would go something like this:

5 years 50 million (10 million per year). With yearly inventives that can push it up to the max based on games/minutes played, stats etc (for instance if he plays at least 72 games and 28mpg and averages 20pts and 10 rpg per 36 minutes, then he gets the max).

The 4th and 5th years will be unguaranteed unless Yao hits certain benchmarks for games/minutes. If Yao hits the lowest benchmark (like maybe average 50 games per year for 3 years) then half of season 4 becomes guaranteed, next highest benchmark would guarantee all of season 4, then half of season 5 etc.

One big key is that Yao is eligible to sign a contract with a no-trade clause this year. He might be willing to do an incentive-laden deal if he knows that he can end his career in Houston and wouldn't have to worry about his contract being used as trade fodder.

12. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

6 year/60m works for me.

13. choujie

choujie Member

It means nothing. When Hakeem went down in that year, Rockets had a nice winning streak going when Smtill replaced him. Does that mean Rockets won't suffer without Hakeem in a long run? Absolutely not.

Rocktes started well this season too. Every year when Yao went down and Rockets started changing style, they won games initiallly. But after teams figure out how to handle Rockets new style, rockets become mediocre.

That happened in that 22 win streak season as well. Rockets won 10 more games in a row after Yao went down, but became mediocre after that.

Yao is a player impacts the game on both ends of the floor when he's healthy, any player player like that will make a team much better in a long run. Health is the only issue for him right now.

14. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Every rockets fan feels that he/she is the owner of the team. ;)

1 person likes this.
  15. choujie

choujie Member

Put total games into incentive is fine, but put stats into incentive will be a bad idea. You don't want Yao to become a black hole , you don't want Yao to stop defending just to save energy and fouls to stay on the court longer, you don't want Yao to just worry about his own rebounds instead of blocking out two guys and let teammates get the rebound. In other words, You don't want Yao to become a Zadh Randalph type stat guy only.

16. choujie

choujie Member

That's the funny part. It's Les's money and it will be Les's decision in the end. Not even Morey's. Morey will try to help Les saving money, Yao's agent will try to get Yao as much money as possible. They will reach some kind of agreement in the end, or Yao will be in other team's uniform next season of the season after that. Fair for both sides.

17. hotpotato

hotpotato Member

Not me. I never felt I own this team, I don't care one cent if the owner is losing 1 gazillion dollars a year as long as they spent 10 gazillion $ signing up the best players in the league, if that happened to be Yao, so be it.

That's right. If Yao is the best you can get, pay him max contract and max years.

18. Raven

Raven Member

If the Rockets give Yao a max extension, the team is doomed if he goes down with another foot injury. Especially if it happens early in the contract.

19. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

to me, this proposal is fair only to rox and rox fans. if i were yao, i would walk away and give his best wish to rox for their rebuid. he can go to other teams for 5 year max which is larger than your proposal anyway.

when yao doesn't pick up his option for next season, rox loses all leverages except 30 mil extra money if he chooses to re-sign or do S&T. your proposal doesn't give him this 30 mil extra. why does he feel it's fair?

to be fair, if he options out, rox can give him a max deal but with some clauses to protect rox in case he gets major injury again. those small injuries shouldn't be concerned, such as sprain ankle, pull muscle and ... they are not uncommon to any player.

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

No way. Yao is one foot injury away from never returning to the game.

I guess it would be in Yao's best interest to opt out bc who knows what the future holds for him.

I would love to see him play a full season at an all-star level. Then we can talk about max dollars being thrown around.