1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SinaRumor] Yao wants a 6-yr contract but Morey only gives 4

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mms, May 18, 2010.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

There's no way Yao gets that long of an extension.

I'd say 3-4 years sounds about right, if he breaks down to the point where he sees no floor time and his body is decaying even faster, I'm sure he'd prefer to retire then to keep putting himself thru the rigors of rehab and not getting much results, on the court.

I'd be surprised if any other team would give Yao that long of an extension, if he opted out.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

Not true at all. However if I were to entertain this idea, it was probably Yao's agent/team Yao who wants this deal more than anything. I'm sure Yao has enough decency to not demand too much since his feet are much more brittle than Elijah Price's bones.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It could doom the franchise to mediocrity for the duration.

Sina folks...sina....

DD

4. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

I don't see why most of these guys should be worrying about money ... I mean, what is the difference between $40 Million & $60 Million? I could be set with $1 Million. If someone is truly worried about money, then they are not good at managing it.

5. DaDakota

$1 million is not enough......you need between $2 and $5 million to really be comfortable for a decent lifestyle.

DD

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Uh...

No, no you do not...

7. DaDakota

You don't make enough interest on $1 million to make a decent wage.....well maybe if you were single......but not a married man with a family.

DD

8. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Yao should be smart enough to realize that no one will give him a 6 year contract with his health problems. 4 is stretching it to begin with. Not sure how contracts work, but he could maybe ask for something that extends his contract by 2 years (from 4 to 6) if he plays over a certain amount of games each season during the first 4 years?

9. Zfan

Zfan Member

It's just a rumor. According to the article, a CCTV commentator heard something from "an insider". "Insider" no name given. Also the commentator has no reputation at all.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yes stars flocked to Houston last season to toil in obscurity with zero national TV games while the Big Dragon was learning how to walk again.

11. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I'll agree with some others here, any deal longer than 2 or maybe 3 years has to be heavily incentive laden with large bonuses for number of games/minutes played.

I'm not too sure how much say Yao or his agents have in the matter. I think both sides want to make a deal happen, but you have to believe other teams would be hesitant to give out max salary based on his speckled past and uncertain future. The risk is too great.

That said, if Yao does sign somewhere else this summer before Bosh, Wade, Lebron, etc., would we then be able to offer a max contract to one of those guys? Just curiosity.

12. sino

sino Contributing Member

A few thoughts to share with you:

The world is really small now due to the internet. I checked this site right after I had just seen the news on sina. Wow, a couple of pages response already including a few "high-profile" posters. :)

I would personally object to discrediting the news from the Chinese sources. It's prejustice. To beat the competition and attract readers, news agencies tend to publish the news without verifying it, especially in the areas where inaccuracy won't have much legal/life-changing consequence. It happens to all US news agencies and venues. So it would be unfair to hold a higher standard for a chinese agency.

In my opinion, a 6-year max contract is impossible for rockets to accept. A straight four year max is also very risky. But it could be a starting point to negotiate assuming the Yao's recovery is very promising. My guess is Yao's team might be orchestrating a negotiation. They first released Yao's training video and then leaked the 6-year vs 4-year discssion. They may try to gauge the feedback from the basketball community. They might even be sourcing the ideas from ClutchFans. :)

As some posters have said, # of contract year without detailed deal structure means little to actual talk. So I would sit back and see how this talk unfolds and settles.

13. DaDakota

Morey has had a history of letting deals expire and negotiating from that position.

If they extend Yao, it would be a signal that they clearly are not all about winning but more about the $$$$.

DD

14. Trip

Trip Member

I just read the article twice and it says nothing about a CCTV commentator or anchorman or whatever. All it sources to is what roughly translates to "person with knowledge". I wouldn't believe this article at all.

It also says that Jonathon Feigen has said that he believed the Rockets won't extend Yao past 2011. Has that actually been published?

15. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I would give him a 5 yr deal but only if its some where along the lines of 3-4 million per year ...

--RB

16. Prince

Prince Member

well if Yao is not going to get the max, he needs a longer contract. but again, he just came from a major surgery. those are the facts that need to be put on the scale.

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'd happily give him a 6 yr deal.

With team options every summer after the second year.

18. TopsDrop

TopsDrop Member

Though I think its unlikely, I would hate to see him sign a max contract and this play out like Allan Houston.

Eeesh

19. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Sadly, if he opts out, we'd have to max him out. But I'm hoping its more like a 3 year extension to next year, netting him a max salary for the next 4 years. Morey can add an extra club option year.

20. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Give him a 6-year contract if it's cheap. Stick to short-term if he wants a lot of money.

But Yao opting out and re-signing has always been a dream of many here; he could sign for less and give us more flexibility. That became less possible with the trade for Kevin Martin because the idea would be Yao signs for less and we let McGrady expire, giving us room for a max salary guy. Still, if Yao opts out and re-signs for less, the Rockets are better of financially and more likely to spend spend spend.

6-years seems like several years too many for someone with Yao's injury history, but if he's willing to take less money, it might not be such a bad gamble. Would you sign Yao for 6 years at $8M per year? Imagine the deal that would be if he is able to play all 6 years.