1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the EAST FINALS Game 2 as Tatum and the Celtics host Haliburton and the Pacers. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Simple Yay or Nay: Where Do You Stand on Carr

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by emjohn, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Summer Song Giver

Pretty bad situation for David Carr from the beginning. I wish him all the best except when he is playing the Texans.

2. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I agree, I think he should be as quiet as possible and do his business.

I regret David didn't work out here (assuming he's gone). I have not liked him as a QB for our team for the last three seasons. (yes even his best season I began to ask myself if he was developing as a playmaker and a leader)

I understand he is a Christian, a good family man and I thought he was a good #1 pick at the time.

I will be very glad if we can find a more consistent QB who is a playmaker and difference maker, especially one who makes good football decisions. But I will not be happy it did not work out for Carr. He was our franchise pick and that has really hurt the franchise.

I don't blame Carr for that, he is what he is as a football QB.

I blame all those who evaluated him solely on his arm strength, passing skills and athleticism and I especially blame anyone who evaluated him based upon making Bob McNair happy.

In retrospect the saddest part of the Carr story will be what happened this past draft. Again he bears no blame at all, but somebody in the organization should have stood up and really demanded we seriously consider rebuilding the franchise around either Young or Leinhart.- And that before he was extended.

I hope he goes to another team and becomes successful.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

or at least handed him a playmaker like reggie bush.

i remember thinking, after williams officially became the pick, "i wonder how pissed david carr is right now..." i've posted this SEVERAL times, but as good as manning is, he still plays with five former first round picks... carr's played with one - 1 - his entire career until this year when dayne and moulds made it three. but no one's confusing dayne, johnson and moulds for faulk/james/addai, harrison and wayne.

4. rhester

I think Maroney or Adai would have helped him more than Bush, but I don't think a trade down was possible.

Bush would have been nice, and might have given us another couple wins, but David needed a stud every down back that could really take pressure off the passing game. The line (before injuries) wasn't that bad at run blocking.

Bush will be a very exciting player and a good pro, but I don't think he will ever live up to all that Gayle Sayers, Barry Sanders, LT hype.

I totally agree that Bush should have gone before Mario- (in hindsight :D )

5. Hey Now!

no, i agree with that. he also needed a playmaking WR; a new OL... but you can only do so much with a single pick.

but given what was available at the time... bush would have been the most... advantageous for the franchise. looking back at it now, sure, jettisoning carr and starting over with young probably would have been THE best choice, but that wasn't an option in april.

6. rhester

(Dead Horse)- Johnson, Moulds and Owens are playmakers. The line was looking good until Spencer, Flannigan and McKinney were injured. OL takes time to gel and if that group had remained in tact they would have performed better.

I know David needed better players. Every team does.

But he didn't perform well either.

David's problems go beyond personnel - his pocket presence has been poor from day 1, he has regressed at reading defenses, his timing is not sharp on patterns and his overall football decisions have always been below avg.... all these have resulted in an inability to lead significant drives, take over games and close out wins.

Having said all that- David has been beaten up (sacks and hurries) in the pocket like few QBs I've ever seen, shown tremendous toughness, and it really hurt David when Dominique Davis was injured.

Yes, with a stud running game he would have been more successful. But a good QB can overcome some of the OL issues David faced. The scheme changes never could compensate for his deficiencies. And our receiving group would be fantastic with a better QB- IMHO

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i was thinking of this the other day. we always talk about, "what if david had this..or that?? how much better could he be??"

but what about andre?? how much better could he be with Peyton Manning? or Donovan McNabb? or Tom Brady?

i don't know the answer to the question...just wondering aloud.

8. msn

msn Member

David has completely won me over...

...to the "David sucks hard and needs a change of scenery" side.

It's depressing, because I *like* the guy so much. But he doesn't know what to do in the pocket (and it *is* longer than it was last year). His long pass isn't near as accurate as it once was. He's had 13 games in this system and still makes lousy decisions.

I'll probably go to the grave believing that QB was NOT the Texans' greatest problem this past offseason.

But it is now. :(

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I don't know
    bush is the PROTOTYPE
    Dink and Dunk Running back
    that could turn it into something big

Rocket River

10. Hey Now!

not defending or excusing carr; the relationship didn't work out - both sides share the blame. everything you say about carr is true, and everything the franchise did to fail him is equally accurate at this point.

time to move on.

really? when was the last time any of them made a play? i saw johnson drop two more balls sunday and look absolutely LOST on one of carr's few deep passes. yeah, it WAS a bad pass and johnson got turned around on it, but damn it, shouldn't an "elite" WR make that catch? it fell maybe three yards out of his reach after he completely lost it.

johnson doesn't look like he's progressed at all. he still struggles to get separation, can too easily be beaten to space by single coverage and does next-to-nothing after he catches the ball. and his hands and/or concentration are legitimate, continuing concerns. i think his 97 catches carry about as much merit as carr's 70% comp %.

maybe a better QB with more time is going to free johnson up. then again, corey bradford made more plays than johnson has. i'm extremely disappointed in johnson. robinson is inching closer to disappointment, too. i know he's stranded without an adequate pass rush, but good god, he gets burned a lot.

11. rhester

Noticed that.

I think Johnson can still get it done- (I think he has quit just a little-got a feeling he isn't a Carr guy- that doesn't say much for his character though)

Agree on Robinson.

12. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I have defended David since day 1 but even I can see the writing on the wall now. I don't see him back next year no matter what happens. I suspect they will try to trade him for anything and if noone bites they will just have to cut him. It really sucks he wanted to do well and I wanted him to succeed also,but I guess thats just the way it is.