1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Simple Yay or Nay: Where Do You Stand on Carr

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by emjohn, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

No way. He is done as the QB for the Texans, not counting the next two games.

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Per game averages:
    2005:
    270 total yards (92 rush 178 pass) 16 ppg
    2006:
    317 total yards (71 rush 246 pass) 18 ppg

The passing game certainly improved, if not the wins. Also, the environment was toxic at this time last year, with Harrington's own teammates openly calling him out.

Another year of Joey in Detroit wasn't going to be healthy for anyone. Same situation we're looking at.

Evan

3. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

4. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

6 of their 14 losses last season were within one score, I believe. I sure as heck don't think that team was close to being an 8-8 team...and it sure didn't mean much for this year.

That stat doesn't really mean anything, and it's surely not enough to be 'hanging your hat on' by any stretch of the imagination.

There are positives; but to think that there are enough after how this season has shaken out for you to somehow be...(what are you exactly? Upset? Surprised?)...that people are less encouraged is not very realistic.

5. AXG

AXG Member

Nay all the way. I seriously don't know why the Texans organization keeps defending this guy. He's not that good and we keep losing. I strongly advocated for letting him go and drafting Vince Young this past offseason. It looks like we might try trading him, but who are the takers?

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I wonder how Dunta would vote:

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2006/12/he_just_hauled.html

''We've got a problem, and until we fix the problem...''
    In the losing locker room, there were interesting words from Dunta Robinson...

"We've got a problem, and until we fix the problem, things are continue to be this way."

What's the problem?

"That ain't for me to say. All I can say is that when you're a 4-10 team, you've got a lot of problems. Until we step up and say what the problem is, then it's not going to get better."

This team needs big changes, right?

"Anytime you're on a losing team, changes have to be made. That's the bottom line. We've got to find a way to fix this thing."

7. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

what's he talking about, david carr?

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Who else could it be?

I also like this quote by Carr from the Justice blog. Carr says he's tired of playing good and losing by 20. LOL.

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2006/12/he_just_hauled.html

9. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

Sunday Duds

10. Major

Major Member

Why are the Texans so scared to bench Carr? Brad Johnson got benched for the 2nd time in a month today - for some guy named Tarvaris Jackson. Joey Harrington got benched for some dude named Cleo Lemon. QB's get benched all over the place - I'd say at least 10 teams have changed starting QBs this season (benching or injuries) and who knows how many others have changed them in games due to performance.

Outside of one half against Tennessee with Rosenfels (that went phenomenally well, oddly enough), the Texans are the only team that seem to keep repeating the same stupid failures over and over and over.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Texans have a Lemon too! :)

12. MadMax

I've been incredibly critical of Carr. I still am. But I got to the point yesterday where I just felt sorry for him. He needs to go somewhere else. For him as much as for us.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/4409111.html

More from Dunta:

When one of the television guys quoted Carr as saying he was "sick and tired of being sick and tired," Robinson bristled.

"If you're sick and tired of being sick and tired, put a stop to it," he said.

Robinson's words may not have been a direct knock at Carr, but they came very close. Someone mentioned the Texans hadn't forced any turnovers.

As observations go, that was a grand-champion dumb one. The Texans had a solid day defensively. Tom Brady passed for just 109 yards. Corey Dillon rushed for only 61. Carr's interceptions made the numbers irrelevant. The Patriots had to go just 42, 6 and 44 yards for their first three scores.

Yes, Dunta, if only you defensive guys had forced a turnover or two.

"Give me a second on that," Robinson said. "We should have forced more turnovers. I guess that's what it boils down to. ... I don't know what to tell you. There are things I want to say that I'm not going to say."

13. MadMax

I'm with you on this. It's baffling. I know, I know. It's Van Pelt. But still...I think Carr should have been benched yesterday to save himself further embarassment. I think he should have been benched for his own benefit. You could argue this franchise owes him that at this point.

14. Summer Song Giver

I too felt sorry for Carr yesterday as I watched him during the post game comments. He is a broken young man when it comes to football.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i must admit, i did founnd it rather apropos (as, i'm sure, carr did, too) when jabar gaffney dropped the sure TD... like the ghost of expansion past was haunting him or something.

5-10 years down the road, when asses are safely off the line, i would love for casserly/capers/palmer/carr to tell us what really happened; how carr went from pro bowl-bound the first 7 games of 2004 to this... it's inexplicable...

16. MadMax

did gaffney drop one, too? he caught a TD pass yesterday

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I feel bad for him as well. He just looks defeated and has no confidence left in him. I hate to see what the fans are going to do to him these last two games at home.

It would be nice if the crowd could give him a standing ovation during his last game in Houston against the Browns. Kind of a we're sorry this team ruined you goodbye. My only fear if that happened would be McNair thinking that we still want him here.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

did he? i watched sporadically. yeah, 3rd or 4th play from scrimmage - beat his guy deep and dropped it.

19. MadMax

yeah..last TD of the first half i think was gaffney's

20. updawg

updawg Member

If only Carr had a weapon like Gaffney... :D