1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Simmons and Bucher talk Lowry/Pau trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 23, 2012.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

I disagree with your comments about point guards. I think you're underestimating the effect they have on a team which has other good players. Point guards can't do it all themself, but they become exponentially more valuable the more players you add around them. Look at the Knicks before and after Lin. Look at the Clippers after adding CP3. Look at how well Chicago is playing when their only star-level player is Rose. Look at our own Rockets and how the offense grinds to a halt when Lowry goes off the floor.

I firmly believe in the elite perimeter player + elite big man combo for winning championships.

2. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

I wouldn't mind it, if they send Steve Blake.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Um, it doesn't make sense in any circumstance. I'm pretty sure we don't have enough space to sign both Gasol and D-Will, and even if we did D-Will, Gasol and a bunch of Dleaguers is not gonna take us anywhere.

4. utcarbs

utcarbs Member

I didn't say point guards are useless. Big men are just more crucial to championships than PGs. Talent disparity between big men is HUGE. Talent disparity between PGs isn't. It's easy to replace a capable PG. Lowry is really good but not elite. Like I said, the gap between Dragic and Lowry isn't that big, in my opinion. We would definitely lose production at the PG spot but we'd gain more at the PF and overall defense. I would rather have an elite big man than an elite PG.

I'm not saying a Gasol trade would make us a championship team but it would make us better.

I don't think this trade hasn't happened because of Morey's hesitation to include Lowry. I believe it's the Lakers hesitation to part with Gasol that's preventing this deal. I think the Lakers would be crazy to trade Gasol for Scola/Lowry. They have plenty of resources/options to get a capable PG to start for them.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Then why all the reports that Lowry is NOT on the table? I believe it because statistically it makes sense. Lowry isn't far behind Gasol in production by most measures, but he is much younger and on a MUCH better contract.

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Ric Bucher is an absolute moron. The second Kyle Lowry becomes available in a trade, that trade is going to be done. The Lakers are probably pushing for Kyle, but there's no way Morey gets this done unless we're getting another stud PG in return. Simmons has always had an understanding of what Morey is trying to do, which is why he knows there's no way in hell Lowry and Scola go for Gasol unless there is something more.

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Also, there are a ton of very good PFs in the league today. Seriously, go take a look. It is hard to find a playoff contending team without one.

Atlanta: Josh Smith
    Boston: Kevin Garnett
    Chicago: Carlos Boozer
    Cleveland: Anderson Varejao
    Indiana: David West
    Miami: Chris Bosh
    Milwaukee: Drew Gooden
    New York: Amare Stoudemire
    Toronto: Andrea Bargnani
    Dallas: Dirk Nowitzki
    Golden State: David Lee
    LA Clips: Blake Griffin
    La Lakers: Pau Gasol
    Memphis: Zach Randolph
    Minnesota: Kevin Love
    Portland: Lamarcus Aldridge
    San Antonio: Tim Duncan
    Utah: Paul Millsap/Al Jefferson

~20 PER power forwards are a LOT easier to find in today's game than ~20 PER point guards. That's what makes me especially skeptical about your argument, utcarbs.

8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I get it most of yall would not trade Lowry 4 gasol but if we did swing a after 4 rondo or d-will somehow would yall still b upset bcuz I wouldn't

9. mastraw18

mastraw18 Member

If whining is the reason you do not like Pau...why do you like Lowry?

Kyle complains about EVERY single call on the court...constantly.

If you are talking about whining off the court, then I agree with you. But I couldn't read into your context so I am just asking for clarification

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

If Llull is as good as Morey thinks he is, then Lowry is expendable. If we could move Lowry for a legit AllStar at a different position, drafting a guy like Kendal Marshall to back up Llull could re-solidify the PG position. I wonder if Lowry/Martin/Morris gets you D-Will or Howard?

11. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I don't think you can say lowry is expendable until you see a guy like Llull play in the NBA. Remember, Vassillis Spanoulis was the "Greek T-Mac," but that didn't work out so well.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Thats a broad statement that is just not true.

13. utcarbs

utcarbs Member

If want to talk about PER (eh, really?), based on the chart you used, there's not much difference between Lowry and Jarret Jack and Jordan Farmar. There's plenty of ~20PER PGs around as well. I wouldn't consider PER as a argument concerning player performance or added value to a team.

1 Chris Paul
    2 Derrick Rose
    3 Russell Westbrook
    4 Steve Nash,
    5 Jeremy Lin,
    6 Tony Parker,
    7 Stephen Curry,
    8 Lou Williams,
    9 Deron Williams,
    10 Kyrie Irving,
    11 Kyle Lowry,
    12 Rajon Rondo
    13 Jordan Farmar
    14 Ty Lawson,
    15 Brandon Jennings,
    16 Rodney Stuckey,
    17 John Wall,
    18 Jose Calderon,
    19 Nate Robinson,
    20 Jarrett Jack,

14. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Would not trade Lowry, who's 25 & much better contract, for Gasol who will be 32 this summer.

Maybe for Williams but only if he agrees to sign an extension.

15. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

I'm also tired of reading CF users posting this. I'm pretty sure it's a CF urban myth, as previously suggested in this thread.

Links in order:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/214213/Gasol_Hopes_To_Remain_With_Lakers
    June 2011 - Gasol to Timberwolves - Gasol claims that he wants to stay with the Lakers as long as possible to maximize his championships.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/217124/Gasol_Not_Concerned_By_Trade_Speculation
    Dec 8, 2011 - Gasol to Rockets - Gasol says that you can't control where you go if traded. "I'm looking forward to getting back on the floor and playing hard and playing my best. After that, I'm sure my name won't be brought up again." Boy, was he wrong.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/217184/Sources_Gasol_Didnt_Want_To_Be_Moved_To_Rockets
    Dec 8, 2011 - Gasol to Rockets - Sources say Gasol didn't want to be moved to the Rockets. I don't think this counts as Gasol being perfectly clear that he doesn't want to come to Houston. But this is the closest you can come up with for defending this whole idea that Gasol does not want to play in Houston. Is he clear about it? No.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/218523/Gasol_Wants_To_Get_Closer_To_Bucket_Would_Like_To_Discuss_Situation_With_Brown
    Jan 23, 2012 - Gasol with Lakers - Gasol says that he wants to talk strategy with Mike Brown about getting closer to the basket. Brown has been using him further outside the paint this season and Gasol believes that their opponents are taking advantage of the fact.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/219060/Gasol_Unsure_Of_Future_With_Lakers
    Feb 17, 2012 - Gasol being traded - “I'd like to make [this] team better and get back to a championship level, but it's not up to me," he said. "Every day I tell myself, try to let it go. Don't think about it. Have fun, be the player you are out there. That's all that you can do."

It looks like Gasol has made it clear that he wants to stay in LA to win more championships, wants his coach to use him more efficiently, but is trying to cope with all of the trade speculation and trying to accept a potential trade away from LA.

You will not find a quote from Gasol specifically pointing out that he does not want to play in Houston. So please, stop saying he's been perfectly clear that he doesn't want to play here.

1 person likes this.
  16. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Heck no. Scola AND Lowry? Too much. By himself Lowry is worth Gasol. I might consider it a good trade for just Lowry straight up. I am sure Morey is not dumb enough to give up both.

17. tjpatel2

tjpatel2 Member

I listened to that podcast last night.. and Bucher was very adamant that Morey would sell high on Lowry for the right trade. When Simmons disagreed, Bucher even said "have you not been talking to your buddy [Morey]," as if Bucher had some inside information pertaining to the matter. Simmons never responded to that question.

With that said, I think this trade would be more appetizing for the Rockets if they could stick with the original trade package (Martin, Scola, Dragic, draft pick) and find a way to re-route Dragic/Martin to a third team that can supply a high-potential point guard to the Lakers. Maybe someone like Darren Collison or Brandon Jennings. The Pacers, who have been rumored to be interested in Eric Gordon to fill their 2-guard hole, might settle for Martin since Gordon is a restricted free agent.

If Morey could pull that off, the core of the team would look like Lowry and Gasol with the availability of a ton of cap space and young talent. I think that could easily set up a secondary trade at the trade deadline to form the Rocket's own version of a "Big Three," while still having a ton of role players in place for a playoff run this year. Everyone dreams of Dwight Howard and Deron Williams, but wouldn't acquiring a player like Josh Smith or Al Jefferson be as equally potent with what the Rocket's would have in place in this hypothetical situation?

18. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Well looks like Lakers are stuck with their team and the Rockets with theirs. I see alot of unrealism going on. The ood thing is at least the Rockets have the same record as the Lakers with Lowry and Scola as the main reasons. While Gasol and Kobe Bryant cant even muster up a top 4 record so far.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Completely different teams. The Lakers have three great NBA players and junk around them. The Rockets have Lowry and solid starters and role players around him. It actually looks like the two teams would make great trading partners as a trade between them should make both teams better.

20. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

If the Rockets are giving up Lowry and Scola for Gasol then Rockets are not getting better.