1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Simmons and Bucher talk Lowry/Pau trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 23, 2012.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

You got it.

2. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

EXACTLY.

3. wadero

wadero Member

i dont understand all of the Pau stalking? He is what 31 he is not going to get any younger or better, he will get worse and older? I cant see Lowery young upcoming PG traded for an a good PF, we already have that in Scola.

4. CertifiedTroll

Good god.. I thought the idea was martin/scola for gasol.. If we trade Lowry, I want Bryant... not Gasol

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Just as confident as Chris Broussard always is about his opinion(s). :rolleyes:

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

That's the price you have to pay. Pau right now is more valuable than Lowry. Anyone with any basketball knowledge outside of the GARM would agree with that. Gasol's age is the only reason the Lakers would do a Gasol for Lowry deal. He is on the downside of his career. But he still has a good 3-5years left so there is some value in him.

Lowry is young and on the upside. He has all star potential but he may never reach it. His numbers are good but they are not Steve Francis good and he does have lapses of mediocrity. Don't get me wrong I am a Lowry fan but I definitely would trade him for the right piece and my piece isn't as high as most on this board.

I do the Gasol trade in a minute if I think it makes us legit contenders for a WC championship. The question es does it. Most on here say no but I am not sure. I think what we lose in Lowry over Dragic is less than what we Gain in Gasol over Scola and as a backup to Dalembert. That is an important part as well. I see a lot of minutes with PPAt and Gasol on the floor. The problem is a backup for Dragic and Flynn hasn't shown me nothing. (I won't even bring up Lin). But I also think Lee can play some 1. Which will open up more minutes for him. We have a legitimate low post player with passing skills which will open up Martin. And with the adding of Llull (hopefully) and DMO next year we have are quickly contenders.

Even with all that I am not positive I would do the deal but the key for me is Dragic. Can he really step up and be a full time starter and leader. That and I see Llull being our Jeremy Lin next year. This kid has ice in his veins.

So while others say no way absolutely never. I say let me think about it. Its not always about getting equal value in a deal. Sometimes a trade can balance a team so that others shine. I'd hate to lose Lowry and watch him become a superstar somewhere else but I honestly do not see that happening. Lowry is a rugged baller in the likes of Baron Davis but he is not as good and will certainly have more injuries before his career is over. Also how long can he keep up his pace. I love the kid but the bottom line is we have to give to receive and nobody ain't gonna give us Gasol for Thabeet, Flynn and Twill.

#86 Old Man Rock, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  7. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Look, I like Pau Gasol. It's complete fiction that he sucks this season; he's played equally well as Bynum and (at the very least) more efficiently than Kobe. At the moment he DOES still have what we need. However, the following is true.

Lowry:
    25 years old
    Contract: 3 yr/17.71M
    PER: 20.3
    WS/48: 0.179

Gasol:
    31 years old
    Contract: 3 yr/57M
    PER: 21.1
    WS/48: 0.189

I submit that in terms of being a "superstar" right now Gasol is only a marginal upgrade over Lowry. When you look at VALUE (age, contract) I'd say that any so-called homer in this thread is more than justified in saying "do not want."

8. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

How about we all stop bringing up Lowry for Gasol. That is not going to happen. If it does happen then you really need to start questioning the integrity of the front office.

Unless, Morey can get Dwill here for some other contracts and have a Dwill and Gasol line up.

Dwill/Dragic
    Lee/?
    Parsons/Bud
    Gasol/PPatt
    Dalembert/Gasol

I would not know who we would have to give up for Dwill, I assume Martin, Morris, 09ers, draft picks...

Any thoughts?

9. jjgfour

jjgfour Member

I don't think Morey would give up our young floor general for an aging player. Lowry is the biggest reason why we're above .500 at this point in time. Plus, I'm sure he's aware of how good the Lakers would be if they did give them Lowry. IMO, we're a good enough team without Gasol. Plus, I want to see Patterson as a starter in the soon future. If we can get DWill by trading Lowry and extras then I wouldn't oppose.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

Right. Gasol is a very good player and I'd love to have him on the Rockets, especially for a deal where the only starter we give up is Scola. However, he is not worth giving up Lowry. It's questionable whether he's even worth the original Scola + Martin + Dragic deal, though maybe.

11. TheBookOfOlu

TheBookOfOlu Member

Why And How Will This Make Us Better?

12. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

No, Morey is not going to give up Lowry for Pau, I am confident for that. If you watch the game of LA vs OKC, you know a slow big man can not lead your team to anywhere. NBA is different today, speed is everything, Lowry is more important for this team than Pau Gasol.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Gasol would most likely be center for the Rockets.

Gasol, Patterson, Parsons, Martin, Dragic on paper looks a lot better than Dalembert, Scola, Parsons, Martin, Lowry. I am a pretty big Dragic fan.

A trade centered around Gasol and Lowry is interesting. I don't know what I would do as a GM. Lowry has youth, but Gasol should still be good in three years.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The NBA is won by great players. Dragic just isn't enough for me to pause on that deal.

15. tanviraman

tanviraman Contributing Member

You may be right on who is more valuable right now. But age plays a huge factor, and you are missing the most important key element-salary/contract. Lowry's contract for his production is one of the best in the league and then you add the potential upside. It's not worth the risk for Gasol.

As much as I like Charles Barkley, that trade for the Rockets in the long run did not pan out. Granted we were trying to win a championship, but Sam Cassel and Robert Horry would have been life long Rocket contributors. We could have had equally as good of chance of winning a championship if Dawson's draft picks were better. And on top of that, all we needed was a productive PF next to Hakeem's last 3 years, and replace Kenny Smith's ass at the backup point guard. Hakeem, Drextler, Cassel, Horry, and a average PF, with a solid backup PG and Mario Ellie off the bench is superior to Hakeem, Drextler, Barkley, Ellie, Maloney and Sedale Threat off the bench.

And I think the same scenario would play out with Gasol. Plus Lowry's potential is higher than Sam's.

1 person likes this.
  16. OremLK

OremLK Member

It's more the Martin part of the deal which concerns me. Martin is a lot better than many people on ClutchFans seem to think. He's having a down year and still has almost 18 PER.

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I would be very skeptical to see Lowry moved for a guy like Gasol right now -- the done deal a few months ago didnt have him in it either and for good reason.

I mean if Lowry is moved for a PG like Deron Williams thats a no brainer you make that trade but I dont think Morey will move Lowry unless a clear superstar is headed back to Houston and right now imo Gasol is a star but not a superstar.

Thats not to say that Lowry is some amazing all-star and perennial MVP candidate but he should have been an all-star this year and has been mentioned in MVP discussions and now factor in his amazing contract (5m/year which many here felt was overpaying him two years ago) and Lowry's value is ridiculously high across the league.

Now factor in the Rockets they went from playing one of the most complex offenses under Adelman to a very simple one with McHale. If the Rockets offense is simple now with a guy like Lowry running the show imagine how it would do with someone else who isnt as dynamic as Lowry? Dragic is great but I dont know if he can handle running a team full time just yet to me Dragic is the perfect backup PG who can play starter minutes when called upon. Bring in Gasol and lose Lowry this offense is going to come to a screeching halt unless Dragic steps up his game big time. It would be far safer to trade Lowry if it meant getting back like Rondo, Paul, Williams, etc etc

I still prefer the original trade of martin, scola and dragic but maybe a third team gets involved will get Martin (no way martin will play the minutes he deserves w/ kobe there) that sends hou a first round pick and LA a TE -- not sure if minnesota is under the cap or not but something like that would probably be the most beneficial but right now I rather not have the Rockets not make a move like that.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If Gasol helps guarantee Llull coming over next year....

If we have cap room to offer Llull a contract....

If Lowry is sent to the EC and another player sent to the Lakers....

If I could win the lottery....

Of course Morey/McHale would still want Gasol here, and Pau's good for another 4/5 years as, well, a 4/5. That could help Llull decide to come over and ease a trade of Lowry.

But I just don't see Morey offering Lowry in a deal for Gasol. Now, if Llull were coming over (I think a buyout with the Spanish club precludes all this), then Lowry could be sent to the EC in a separate deal.

Too too many if's. Lowry is just too valuable for us.

We can't ask Morey what's up his sleeve because he probably doesn't even know.

19. utcarbs

utcarbs Member

This. This. This. This.

First of all, I don't think Lowry is untouchable. In fact, I don't believe Morey wouldn't include Lowry in a Gasol trade. The only hestitation that would exist in dealing Lowry, is the Howard and Deron situations. I think Morey wants to save his best asset for a deal centered around those guys.

Morey is all about upgrading the roster. He's never had a valuable piece as Lowry that he was allowed to trade. I think there's a real chance that Lowry is gone by the trade deadline since his value is high at the moment.

The easiest deal at the moment is for Gasol. Perfect sell high-buy low trade for Morey. Lowry is good but not great. The Lakers won their championships because of Gasol's play. A skilled big man is extremely more valuable when competiting for championships. Gasol and Howard are season changers. PGs are not. Deron, a really good PG, can't carry his team to a championship. Big men are better shooters (FG%), rebounders, and their defense is more valuble. When a big man with that capacity becomes available, you jump on the opportunity to get him. Boston did it with Garnett and won a championship. Lakers did it with Gasol and won two championships. Magic are always in it because of Howard.

Adding Gasol adds a ton of value to our team and to our season. Not only does he help us compete but adds Houston to the list of destinations for some players in free agency. Howard and Deron may not want to play in Houston but they would at least consider it now with Gasol. Gasol is extremely talented.

I would also argue that we don't lose much with Dragic at the point. I think he's skilled enough to deserve a starter position. I also believe Morey could re-sign him to high value contract like he did Lowry. I think the gap between Gasol and Scola is large enough and the gap between Lowry and Dragic is small enough, that Morey would seriously consider a Lowry/Scola for Gasol trade. I 100% believe, in terms of play, we would get the better deal. The Lakers will not repeat with Lowry and Scola.

I would give up Lowry in a heart beat for Gasol and Howard or any talented big men. I wouldn't move Lowry for Deron though.

20. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Why won't the Lakers fking take Dragic!! Dammit!