1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Silverleaf Resorts [scam]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Indaface, May 8, 2013.

1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

This is why I never fill out any of those type of "you can win...." things. Probably why I never get telemarketers calling him.

2. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Anyone watch 'The Queen of Versailles' on Bravo the other night. This guys fortune was built on timeshares. Very disgusting family.

[​IMG]

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

It's not a scam, but the odds of winning a top prize are practically nonexistant. I've been a few times and have gotten Visa gift cards before and a cruise or vegas trip. I actually did go on the cruise once, and it was real but nothing special. It was worth what I paid in taxes to go but not a great prize.

The 90 minutes is really around half the day depending on how far you have to drive and how long it takes to tell the salesman, the salesmans boss, that bosses boss and that bosses boss no. And if you do decide to buy a timeshare, just keep saying no till the very last person because each boss will give you a better deal.

4. Indaface

Indaface Member

Thanks I guess I'll go ahead and go and report what all I find out. I like free things and don't mind getting stuck telling some people no for a chance maybe a couple of cruise tickets or a Vegas trip.

5. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

Yes, it's a waste of time and they put pressure sales on you. I'm okay with listening to your proposal but can't stand it when you put pressure on me to buy. And the "free trips" aren't even free because you have to pay for the taxes.

6. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

If you make more than $30k a year it's not worth your time to go and get their free shiz.

7. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I think it is worth. I think everyone should go sit through one of those things at least once, just to learn what they are about and how terrible it is.

The free stuff is legit though, but you do pay the taxes. Plus, for the cruise (for example) they restrict the dates you can go.

8. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Also to add if you really want a timeshare, just look up ebay and buy a timeshare from another owner. You wont have to pay the initial deposit fee (usually a few grand to start) and youd only be responsible for the annual maintennance fee. Taking over a timeshare from someone will cost you a hundred or two at the most in some cases. Just mak sure you get one that you can swap out.

9. da1

da1 Member

Hilton tried to push me into going to a timeshare presentation. Even on the phone, the sales people are VERY pushy.

10. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

the boat is a boat... but the box could be anything! it could even be a boat!

11. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

I saw that film in one of my econ classes. Why do people even consider buying timeshares

12. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

You remember that time we took the box over the boat?

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

People that have the time to travel can make great use out of timeshares - especially those that use points like RCI. We have used our RCI points in Africa, Australia, Canada, Rio de Jeneiro, Hawaii, St. Maarten, Mexico and numerous places within the continental U.S. We also donate our points to a couple of charity functions throughout the year as well as offer a week as a gift for friends of ours honeymoons. It is not hard to manage the points in such a way that you can get 6+ weeks worth of vacation time a year and save thousands of dollars a year even with the maintenance fee and cost.

14. likestohypeguy

I'm going to pull a Jason Giambi here & sincerely apologize to everyone in this thread- without specifying exactly what I'm apologizing for.

If I could take it all back I would.