1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Silver Linings....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohen, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Not , in any way, to diminish the loss that so many have suffered, but it may be somewhat comforting to look for silver linings in this tragic event. Also, it would be an additional loss if there was some opportunities to improve our world in the aftermath of this event, and we ignored them.

* Unite our Country
    * Unite the World
    * Improve understanding, acceptance, and empathy between different peoples

Others?

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Honestly, I see this as an opportunity to find a common ground with other countries. For once, the vast majority of us are united against a common enemy: terrorism. There is nothing that brings people together more (including those who may often be in disagreement) than a common foe.

3. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I have often repeated that. When I saw the Protestants in Ireland yelling at those poor kids last week, I told my wife that if a third party threatened Northern Ireland, those Catholics and Protestants would become friends quickly.

I always thought that some extraterrestrial threat (asteroid?) would be needed to have that effect on the entire world, but maybe we only needed bin Laden.

4. Bigman

Bigman Member

I also see this as an oppurtunity to squelch out the rogue groups who are trying to obtain nuclear, biological and chemical capabilities. This time we were attacked conventionally but next time who knows. The obvious arguement here is that if we wage war against these terrorist regimes more attacks agains us will occur. But they would occur anyway. These people are set in their minds to destroy what they can in the name of god. Let the whole world unite and squash this problem. I know we won't end it all but we'll at least have a focused effort to contain what we can. The world now knows that this is a serious threat and this is the time to react.

Much has been said in the past about an effort to unite the world or form a 'New World Order'. Personally, I'm trying to find fault in it but can't. Don't you sometimes feel guilty knowing that our nation lives in excess while others starve? What would happen if all of the wealth in our country was distributed in way that the American people lived say in a middle class, comfortable way? The remaining wealth could be spread to feed and aid the poor of our country and through out the world. The top 5% of the wealth in this country is a wealth of extreme purportions. I mean it's sick. Why can't these selfish fuc%$ give back? Do they really need their multiple mansions, planes, jewels, art, etc? And you know what? I'm just as guilty. Here I am complaining but I'm living high on the hog. Got my SUV, my nice house and I don't give hardly jack to charities. Maybe now is a time to reflect and re-think our values and goals. This can be a start of a new beginning. The world has changed and it's up to us to decide if it's for the better or worse.