1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Silly Hypothetical] If Michael Jordan had only played baseball...

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by dharocks, Mar 19, 2011.

?

Based on what we (think we) know about Michael Jordan's personality, do you think he

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

... Do you think he would have used PEDs?

I'll offer you a specific scenario: Michael Jordan has been cut from his high school varsity basketball team, and rather than dedicating himself to making his coach look stupid, he decides to focus on baseball instead. He plays extremely well, and is eventually drafted out of high school 7th overall by the Chicago White Sox in 1981.

By the start of the 1984 season, Jordan's been called up to the bigs and promptly beings destroying major league pitching. He's a five-tool outfielder, as talented as Barry Bonds and as beloved as Ken Griffey. He's a perennial all-star (heheheheh), wins multiple MVPs, and is to baseball what he was to basketball.

Now enter 1998. Jordan's 35, and while still a great player, he's clearly slowing down. He doesn't hit the ball as far, can't catch up to high-90s fastballs, and he isn't chasing down as many flyballs as he once did.

Meanwhile, the media (and all of America) is celebrating Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa's assault on the record books. Two clearly inferior talents, who everyone inside baseball know are chemically enhanced, are being hailed as the best players in the game and the saviors of baseball. Jordan seethes.

(And meanwhile in the NBA, everyone's still wearing nut-hugger shorts and a 19-year-old Kobe Bryant is often heard referring to himself as a "consummate professional heheheheheheh")

Knowing what we know about Jordan's personality, do you think he would give in to temptation and start juicing?

I was having this discussion with my buddy, and we both agreed that he probably would have. I think he'd be too worried about his legacy to be as blatant about it as Bonds, Sosa or McGwire (i.e., he would just try to maintain his earlier levels of production, as opposed to moving up 3 hat sizes), but he'd also be too competitive to help himself. He'd certainly have taken every possible measure to cover up for himself.

I bring this up because I think that the steroid era, along with closer media scrutiny, has often highlighted just how human and flawed many athletes are. However, despite his personal indiscretions Michael Jordan, thanks to his transcendent greatness, is generally still put on a pedestal. His legendary competitiveness, along with the fact that he actually played baseball, makes him a convenient example.

So do you think Jordan would have cheated? Is suggesting that he would have akin to telling a kid that Santa Claus doesn't exist?

(EDIT: Dun goofed up the poll. Sorry about that.)

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Don't care about this topic, but I wonder if Jordan would have been a good soccer player.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

You guys know Chad Johnson is getting a trial with sporting kc of the mls?

4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

How would steroids help him hit a curveball?

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I guess with the lack of enforcement in the CBA back then, you could relate using steroids in baseball to taking a third step in pro basketball. Something ostensibly illegal that never gets punished, that alot of your competitors are doing, and probably doesn't necessarily define your accomplishment in and of itself. So I could see him doing it. I remember watching Jordan's SportsCentury, and he was talking about playing some nerf basketball or something with his kid and how his kid made a "luck shot;" Jordan's a decent, hardworking human being, and one holy hell of a leader, but also competitive to a fault. Ironically enough I could never see an Iverson or Sprewell taking steriods et al, I could see Barkley once he lost a step in '92 and his back started killing him in '94.

6. HombreDeHierro

The MLS should offer LeBron an offer too...

i'd like to see a physical specimen such as himself take a shot at futbol

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

For a base hit every third or fourth time, or a certain homer every tenth-to-fifteenth time?

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I think he no.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

He won't get it, as I think football just rips the endurance and durability out of you after a while, but good for him enjoying himself and staying marketable while out of work. I kinda wish he'd mix in some therapy sessions, though, dude seems like he's either bi-polar or narcissistic PD or something.

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Anyone see the ESPN 30 for 30: JORDAN RIDES THE BUS? Sheds light on his move to baseball. Started horrible, but towards the end, he made a huge transformation. Really did look like a baseball player. He would have kept trying at it and might have had a shot on a MLB team if it wasn't for the Strike.

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Lebron doesn't have soccer skills